Sergal Cutty Sark scale 1:78 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Just received the display case , however the supplied midship support and pedestals not correct and they will have to be changed , I found them too flimsy , anyway we will address that , so far a dry fit in the case and I am really wrapped , at least the ‘Queen’ has her own berth , now finishing her my priority , the yards are all on .

View attachment 274878View attachment 274879View attachment 274880View attachment 274881
Beautiful Robert, I hope the wine in the background is as good a quality and vintage as your ship.;)

Wow Robert - The Duyfken sounds like an excellent project. I can strongly recommend the Kolderstok Duyfken.

I thought to take her outside with clouds in the background is spectacular, still working on the yards and tidying up , I used a gold pencil to address the ’cutty’ and the name on the bow that had a copper shade , also hanks to be replaced here and there , she is back in the garage ( ship yard) for completion , I obtained a decent size tweezer as it becomes more and more difficult to gain access with all the ropes etc , well almost 6 months ago when I started this project , immensely enjoy building her

View attachment 272657

View attachment 272658

View attachment 272659

View attachment 272660

View attachment 272661

F0AA0BF5-01C7-4366-9C86-9C4504C6068B.jpeg

Just a few top shrouds ratlines up forward working my way aft , made them separately from the hull , so much easier and no stress!, I made a template for the shrouds and ratlines and attach them on completion , I use a dot of CA glue at either end of the ratlines when attached , just a single knot and so easy to snip off any access , way to go.
52EBBE32-5327-4983-9849-BE951474AA9A.jpeg

Absolutely. That is what I would do. The oak wood is more difficult to bend and shape than the walnut, but the completed model will look great with a beautiful radiance, Hans van Nieuwkoop who owns @Kolderstok is a member of SOS so you can communicate with him directly via a PM. I suggest that you also get the authentic blocks.

Absolutely. That is what I would do. The oak wood is more difficult to bend and shape than the walnut, but the completed model will look great with a beautiful radiance, Hans van Nieuwkoop who owns @Kolderstok is a member of SOS so you can communicate with him directly via a PM. I suggest that you also get the authentic blocks.
The wood bender they sell , do you reckon it is worth the investment and yes I would opt for the authentic blocks for sure , I will contact Hans soon , thanks

The wood bender they sell , do you reckon it is worth the investment and yes I would opt for the authentic blocks for sure , I will contact Hans soon , thanks
The wood bender is an excellent item to get. In my case, it has been an indispensable part in my Haarlem and Willem Barentz's builds. Just note that the soldering iron obviously has EU power ratings - I am not sure whether that is compatible with Australian specs (I know it is different to that in the USA). If that is case, you can simply buy the different heads (fitments) separately and slap them onto a locally-bought 30W or 60W soldering iron. In any case, Hans knows all about this, so he will be able to advise you.

Build 238.jpg
As you can see you can use the plank bender is a great help. The other advantage is that once the bend is completed, the wood is dry, so it can be used immediately.

There are two excellent build logs on Modelbouwforum.nl of the Kolderstok Duyfken which you can refer to for assistance:

Hans Groenenberg (Completed); https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/duyfken-kolderstok.247171/

Building Mouse (In final stages of completion): https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/de-duyfken-van-kolderstok.262181/

The wood bender is an excellent item to get. In my case, it has been an indispensable part in my Haarlem and Willem Barentz's builds. Just note that the soldering iron obviously has EU power ratings - I am not sure whether that is compatible with Australian specs (I know it is different to that in the USA). If that is case, you can simply buy the different heads (fitments) separately and slap them onto a locally-bought 30W or 60W soldering iron. In any case, Hans knows all about this, so he will be able to advise you.

View attachment 277152
As you can see you can use the plank bender is a great help. The other advantage is that once the bend is completed, the wood is dry, so it can be used immediately.

There are two excellent build logs on Modelbouwforum.nl of the Kolderstok Duyfken which you can refer to for assistance:

Hans Groenenberg (Completed); https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/duyfken-kolderstok.247171/

Building Mouse (In final stages of completion): https://www.modelbouwforum.nl/threads/de-duyfken-van-kolderstok.262181/
Contacted Hans , and when I order the ‘Duyfken’ I make sure it will include the plank bender , as he said on Oak planking a must or highly recommended .

Back