Sergal Cutty Sark scale 1:78 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

Slowly but slowly planking the Hull, the instructions are not very clear what the extensions of the bulkheads are concerned , they have to be removed on completion of the Hull, I glued each and every plank on these extensions , not a good idea , just the first plank , however I want to make sure I was able to remove them hence the trial and passed !!, I also avoid using nails , just clamps as seen in the pictures , in all cases I use Gorilla wood glue but have to revert to CA here and there in awkward positions , I have seen other sites where the voids between the bulkheads are filled , that’s up to the individual

7B23FA9B-731A-4490-8CEC-CD13DA256424.jpeg161676B8-427F-4A57-BE0E-FF64DB3E1B71.jpeg

Slowly but slowly planking the Hull, the instructions are not very clear what the extensions of the bulkheads are concerned , they have to be removed on completion of the Hull, I glued each and every plank on these extensions , not a good idea , just the first plank , however I want to make sure I was able to remove them hence the trial and passed !!, I also avoid using nails , just clamps as seen in the pictures , in all cases I use Gorilla wood glue but have to revert to CA here and there in awkward positions , I have seen other sites where the voids between the bulkheads are filled , that’s up to the individual
This only the start ! The Hull is double planking as is the deck ,the deck shows the pattern for the planking , I would say it will be a long lasting project !

Luckily this is not a race so take your time. The result will be well worth it.

Robert, good afternoon. The voids between the bulkheads are also filled for the convenience of the hull lining. And on long hulls, like the Cutty Sark, it also saves from the curvature of the keel. Especially if the skin takes a long time. Temperature changes and humidity do not spare the tree.

Robert, good afternoon. The voids between the bulkheads are also filled for the convenience of the hull lining. And on long hulls, like the Cutty Sark, it also saves from the curvature of the keel. Especially if the skin takes a long time. Temperature changes and humidity do not spare the tree.
I was thinking filling the voids between the Bulkheads , but since I use clamps instead of nailing the planks , this is no option for me , however the Hull is straight , any gaps to be smoothed out with filler , to continue with 2nd planking the Hull

F0897A64-1A31-43C7-A4E4-4C553D16E920.jpeg

CEBA5C53-4D3D-4186-A7C1-9F88EFBB7C33.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Robert only just saw you blog an hour ago while waiting for exactly the same kit to arrive…! Courier dropped it off while reading this…very impressed with the kit at first look and loving the detail of the large plans…I will watch you build with interest and you are doing a great already…

Hi Robert only just saw you blog an hour ago while waiting for exactly the same kit to arrive…! Courier dropped it off while reading this…very impressed with the kit at first look and loving the detail of the large plans…I will watch you build with interest and you are doing a great already…
Still working on the 1st Hull planking , nearly done , btw it seems the copper plates aren’t enough , went to Jaycar and purchased a couple of reels of copper 5mm , $ 6,95 each and and went to my local hobby centre in DeeWhy for a rivet wheel to simulate the rivets , I won’t cut the strip into small sections .
Also it was suggested to start the deck planking ASAP , I haven’t and will do that as per instruction after I have double planked the Hull, anyway John happy building !

1st Planking done and sanded , next will be the 2nd planking of the Hull ,just for curiosity I loosely placed part # 32 , the bulwark aft to make sure it fits and it does! So something was right , in anticipation I run out of copper plates , bought a reel of 5mm copper and a pounce wheel to create the rivets , of course that is still miles away, I didn’t use nails to attach the planks to the bulkheads but small modified paper clamps, and started at the top of the bulkheads extensions and worked my way down till about 3/4 finished and completed the planking from the Keel up , naturally to avoid any twisting worked on both sides of the Hull , some people might fill the space between the bulkheads to get a smooth finish for planking , I don’t think it is necessary . the Hull so far is pretty much what it supposed to be .

64F54144-785C-42BD-9814-E144518D7564.jpeg

8914A2D0-2CD6-4237-9998-BA70CC215F1E.jpeg

26D9A948-6FC5-4BB0-BBB6-E172FB2A66A4.jpeg

BE935841-06B5-490A-851E-55FB853E65FF.jpeg

19806429-1954-405B-AF41-63E34BA44714.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
1st Planking done and sanded , next will be the 2nd planking of the Hull ,just for curiosity I loosely placed part # 32 , the bulwark aft to make sure it fits and it does! So something was right , in anticipation I run out of copper plates , bought a reel of 5mm copper and a pounce wheel to create the rivets , of course that is still miles away, I didn’t use nails to attach the planks to the bulkheads but small modified paper clamps, and started at the top of the bulkheads extensions and worked my way down till about 3/4 finished and completed the planking from the Keel up , naturally to avoid any twisting worked on both sides of the Hull , some people might fill the space between the bulkheads to get a smooth finish for planking , I don’t think it is necessary . the Hull so far is pretty much what it supposed to be .
The extensions of the bulkheads will be removed at a later stage before planking the deck , what you see now is the pattern , in fact double planking

View attachment 240435

View attachment 240436

View attachment 240437

View attachment 240438

View attachment 240439
It seems, that you made a very good job with the preparations of the hull - A very good basis is prepared.
I am looking forward to see your coppering work :cool:

Rob, you are a super-sonic-fast builder! Do you sleep (occasionally)? Wow!! Last week, you just laid the frames...and here you have the first layer of planking completed! Great work!

Rob, you are a super-sonic-fast builder! Do you sleep (occasionally)? Wow!! Last week, you just laid the frames...and here you have the first layer of planking completed! Great work!
I worked on it everyday for a couple of hours, a bit of planking and left it to cure overnight including the filler I use , great stuff and easy to sand , the next part ( double planking) a bit slower , depends on the glue I use without clamps , and will test it first

I need some advise , what‘s the best solution or method for double planking , especially what glue to use , I read contact cement , a bit scary if I cannot adjust any planking , in my arsenal I have wood glue ( Gorilla and Titebond
) CA Zap glue, also if our members have good results and think contact cement is the way to gp

Last edited:
I prefer to use wood glue for all woodwork. Technically, it doesn't matter what brand. Both, Gorilla wood glue and Titebond good glues.

Started double planking using contact cement , also I tried to have a go at the brass plate , instead of painting the black inserts , didn’t think it would look nice so lightly spray painted the lot using Tamiya black and rubbed the surface once dry with a sanding sponge , the result is great , so that’s the way to go.

13EF2845-0618-474D-A4ED-5F26D008C352.jpeg6FA835B1-887B-4D64-9DB5-65448AA04F7B.jpeg511B43C4-B72E-45A0-8DEE-6D2B470BBDFC.jpeg

Started double planking using contact cement , also I tried to have a go at the brass plate , instead of painting the black inserts , didn’t think it would look nice so lightly spray painted the lot using Tamiya black and rubbed the surface once dry with a sanding sponge , the result is great , so that’s the way to go.
That brass looks good with the black paint...contact cement is great for 2nd planking...done it on many builds just takes a little time to get used to it...are you using satin or gloss paint ?

Back