Sergal Cutty Sark scale 1:78 Robertd [COMPLETED BUILD]

That brass looks good with the black paint...contact cement is great for 2nd planking...done it on many builds just takes a little time to get used to it...are you using satin or gloss paint ?
I think I am going for satin , yes Initially bought a can of the cement , I found that too messy , so used the same product in a spray can version , good result so far , for tricky bits a little CA medium Zap and 2nd planking is very fast using contact cement !

I think I am going for satin , yes Initially bought a can of the cement , I found that too messy , so used the same product in a spray can version , good result so far , for tricky bits a little CA medium Zap and 2nd planking is very fast using contact cement !
Satin will look great...I’ve been using this one and its neat...easy to put a very thin coat on planking...best one for me

069208B1-F1AF-4491-BB53-A64B6B241E24.jpeg

Double planking finished , used a sanding sealer , filler and a lot of sanding to smooth things out and primer and top coat applied , once the paint is dry and cured will give the top part a clear satin varnish , in the meantime painted the inside of the bulwark before I install the deck planks , I am waiting for my Artesania plank cutter to arrive any moment , the underwater hull part will be copper plates , I looked at options to glue the copper plates and did some testing on some scrap material and found out that contact cement is the way to go , not messy , CA glue would have been a disaster and PVA just too messy , for the double planking I used contact cement and worked quite well , here and there a speck of CA medium glue and the wood filler hard as a rock , anyway copper plating is new to me , what I know is I start from the waterline down , I had a look at caulking methods for the deck , decided not to use any of that , but cut the planks as per instruction.
Drilled the holes for the hawse pipes as well as the scuppers , in order not to upset the paintwork , as you can see there is progress .

B361BCC3-E001-45AC-9791-5212B1228860.jpeg

FFD6557D-44BA-42C9-B2CC-FAE7F9F62899.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m going to start calling you Sonic! You’re going to finish 3 ships by the time I finish 1… :p
It’s looking good so far. I suspect the rigging and sails will slow you down on this one!

I’m going to start calling you Sonic! You’re going to finish 3 ships by the time I finish 1… :p
It’s looking good so far. I suspect the rigging and sails will slow you down on this one!
Actually Dean , the 2nd planking a breeze and fast usIng contact cement , as long as the hull underneath is well prepared and straight , bingo ‘ Bob‘s your Uncle’ so to speak , no sails ;) just the rigging ,but that will take some time , however copper plating will take some time too to have it done correctly and will take my time doing so, there you go , I follow your BN build closely ,very impressive , the best! btw just received the book ‘Witch in the Wind’ by Marq de Villiers today .

Following photographs of the ‘Cutty’ in Greenwich , my result is pretty close , I didn’t use a timber strip painted white , but used a styrene strip glued with CA , so much neater and a continuation of the brass decal and in scale , the Hull a final coat of satin .

B478C4B0-D838-49D3-8FD8-5971A7E2E1FD.jpeg

9827B501-4CF2-4107-886B-D20B73293A92.jpeg

A5271488-6452-4AE5-905C-850B45A3BB3F.jpeg

DE0D445B-25F9-4E90-B1AC-3D2087419F44.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Following photographs of the ‘Cutty’ in Greenwich , my result is pretty close , I didn’t use a timber strip painted white , but used a styrene strip glued with CA , so much neater and a continuation of the brass decal and in scale , the Hull a final coat of satin .
Looking great…the satin over the black looks perfect…

Actually Dean , the 2nd planking a breeze and fast usIng contact cement , as long as the hull underneath is well prepared and straight , bingo ‘ Bob‘s your Uncle’ so to speak , no sails ;) just the rigging ,but that will take some time , however copper plating will take some time too to have it done correctly and will take my time doing so, there you go , I follow your BN build closely ,very impressive , the best! btw just received the book ‘Witch in the Wind’ by Marq de Villiers today .
Thank you Robert. I’m sure you will do good on the copper plating! The book is supposed to be good. Let me know what you think about it.

Thank you Robert. I’m sure you will do good on the copper plating! The book is supposed to be good. Let me know what you think about it.
Just started reading the book Dean , my goodness they were tough cookies not only the BN , and competing not unlike the America’s Cup and surviving , Bluenose , what’s the name , the blue dye the wives used in the washing and subsequently rubbed on the fisherman’s noses when cold and shivery , who knows , or a slang for Nova Scotians , I like the history behind it all.
I got this book ( 2nd hand . MONTREAL West public library ??) good condition though

Last edited:
Hello Robert. This is a fine project you have here. Clean work and accomplished with precision - I like it! How is the pin-wheel tool working for you? I have several sizes but they all run wonky for me (I was trying to impress 'holes' in wood not copper). From the photo it seems to be working fine...?

Hello Robert. This is a fine project you have here. Clean work and accomplished with precision - I like it! How is the pin-wheel tool working for you? I have several sizes but they all run wonky for me (I was trying to impress 'holes' in wood not copper). From the photo it seems to be working fine...?
Hi Paul, thank you for your comments , I haven’t tried the pounce wheel as yet , the copper plates are supplied as such , in case I run out I have a few reels of copper electrical tape and will use that on the stern and bow ends to finish that off , still a lot of plates to add before I get to that point

Just started reading the book Dean , my goodness they were tough cookies not only the BN , and competing not unlike the America’s Cup and surviving , Bluenose , what’s the name , the blue dye the wives used in the washing and subsequently rubbed on the fisherman’s noses when cold and shivery , who knows , or a slang for Nova Scotians , I like the history behind it all.
I got this book ( 2nd hand . MONTREAL West public library ??) good condition though
Interesting book , did you know they built the BN in 97 days ? Just to make sure she was up and running ( fishing ) to qualify for the upcoming races , and the harvesting of the timber is quite interesting , some of the trees felt early winter so not to have much sap in it , you will love the book Dean !
btw they painted the Hull Blue/Black , that’s what I did , so I did something right LOL

Interesting book , did you know they built the BN in 97 days ? Just to make sure she was up and running ( fishing ) to qualify for the upcoming races , and the harvesting of the timber is quite interesting , some of the trees felt early winter so not to have much sap in it , you will love the book Dean !
btw they painted the Hull Blue/Black , that’s what I did , so I did something right LOL
Thanks for the interesting facts, sounds like a good book to read. :)

Copper plated the hull today , and I have left over plates :D!, using contact cement as per instruction applied with a brush on the hull and the plates straight on top this works fine , if applied to thin , there is a tendency they might pop off , not such a big deal easily fixed with a blob of CA, where ever a gap using 5mm electrical copper tape , I don’t want varnish the underwater hull as I like it weathered over time , unless some of the experts know an easier method , I tried vinegar , that didn’t work , unfortunately when brushing the black paint off the bow plate it showed the brass underneath , nothing I can do about that:confused: planking the deck will be next item

FA93B92D-969A-48AB-A77D-0561F3F5F734.jpegE9BF98BC-D4FF-422D-87B7-93E2464246CF.jpegA04DB4E2-002C-41E7-A914-72B197659921.jpegA9CAEFF9-6AB9-484E-9977-FFE097256F3E.jpeg

Copper plated the hull today , and I have left over plates :D!, using contact cement as per instruction applied with a brush on the hull and the plates straight on top this works fine , if applied to thin , there is a tendency they might pop off , not such a big deal easily fixed with a blob of CA, where ever a gap using 5mm electrical copper tape , I don’t want varnish the underwater hull as I like it weathered over time , unless some of the experts know an easier method , I tried vinegar , that didn’t work , unfortunately when brushing the black paint off the bow plate it showed the brass underneath , nothing I can do about that:confused: planking the deck will be next item
That looks great Robert! It’s going to be a beautiful ship! Keep up the good work. :)

I like the weathering on the copper plates - too shiny and it looks unnatural. You can be well pleased by how that had turned out!

Back