Serving now

Been working on the saddle for the foremast stays and had a shot at making a stay with the mouse and serving.
I'm using one of the famous Lego serving machines, as designed by one of the great and good here. Sometimes it spontaneously reverses the direction of serving, resulting in a double thickness. What causes it to do that? Here's a the mouse (turned from 3mm dowel in a Dremel) and it served on the stay. Just to the right of the mouse you can see a bit of the double layer serving that the machine decided to do.
IMG_7670.JPG Img_7668.jpg IMG_7643.JPG

Attachments

• Img_7668.jpg
    Img_7668.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 9
I think the original design was built from what was available in his kids collection. This appears to be the current equivalent - there are a couple of modifications I would suggest. Beef up the support of the non-motorised end; with more tension on the rope, it can pull the construction off the base plate. I am using a 3mm dowel for the power transmission shaft which works OK, 4 mm would be less flexible but wouldn't be a direct shove into the connectors (which can split - I just glued the dowel into them as I am not re-using the Lego for anything else.

Back