Shackleton's Endurance - Occre - By Bill-R

Hello everyone,

I’ve gotten to the point to where I have been thinking of how I will finish the hull. Occre’s method ie to add the second planking using contact cement. Using this method, you only have one chance to get the planks laid down correctly. I’m afraid that I would make a mess of that. I was thinking of finishing off the first planking and painting it. I spent extra time on the first planking, so I think it would look pretty good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill

IMG_4086.jpeg

Hello everyone,

I’ve gotten to the point to where I have been thinking of how I will finish the hull. Occre’s method ie to add the second planking using contact cement. Using this method, you only have one chance to get the planks laid down correctly. I’m afraid that I would make a mess of that. I was thinking of finishing off the first planking and painting it. I spent extra time on the first planking, so I think it would look pretty good. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Bill

View attachment 372345
Good morning Bill. IMHO- As you are going to paint the entire hull you can get away with only doing the first layer. (I think Derek @gibby_74 only did the first layer on his Gorch Fock and it is superb). Loads of wood filler to ensure all the irregularities are perfect is recommended as the painted hull will still show any of these irregularities. The benefit of the second layer (even with paint) is that it gives the modeler the opportunity to cover these and get the line of each plank like the real ship. When painted the outcome will be more realistic if one applies the paint thinly with many coats. Just my thoughts. Cheers Grant

Hello everyone,

Thanks,
Bill

View attachment 372345
PS- your first layer is really good BTW.

Bill, I haven't tried contact cement for application of the second planking layer but I intend to give it a go in the near future. Ohla Batchvarov has a video for, I believe, her Ragusian Carrack where she planks with contact cement. It may take a little internet digging to find it but it helps considerably in understanding the process.

Toward the question of adding a second planking layer or not, I would do it. The bread and butter construction of the stern and the plywood sections above the wales really need that second planking to blend those areas into the remainder of the hull.

Thanks for letting me chip in my two cents worth. You are doing great so far!

Randy

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the encouraging, helpful comments and for the likes. They are really appreciated.

I think what I will try is to finish the first planking as good as possible and then paint the hull black. After it is painted, if I don't like the way it looks, I can always choose to sand it down and add the second planking.

Bill

Hello everyone,

I’ve been working on getting the propeller area correct. The kit has the propeller area rounded. Looking at the pictures I have, the area is squared off.

Bill

View attachment 374568
View attachment 374569
Good morning Bill. Good spotting. Always fun to make modifications to correct the kit inaccuracy. Great job and I think it looks way better than the rounded area. Cheers Grant

Back