Ship Curves

I was thinking of buying some ships curves to act as guides when cutting unstraight lines. They turned out to be rather expensive but I found a cheap alternative (e-bay) which seem to be called 'tailors curves'. Used, I gather, for dressmaking! The first picture below shows the the complete set. The second shows a preliminary application when I wanted to cut a temporary support for my current model (Phoenix) when laid on its side. I laid the long curve against the side of the model and found that the section between 8" and 17" was a good fit to the hull. I cut a piece of plywood to match and cobbled up the support I needed.
For future models it might be useful to record which sections of which curves match each bulkhead to provide data for making cradles, support stands, bending guides or customised clamps. Horizontal measurements at various height above the keel may be useful too.

Curves1.jpg curves2.jpg

You could also try a Flexi-curve. With it you can match the profile of your hull exactly. Being an old draftie from the pre computer days, I still have all my old set squares, t-squares, ink pens, French curves, Flexi curves, plastic leads etc...all come in quite handy now. Plus the 3D drafting systems we now use are great for knocking up plans, profiles etc...DB1A2B9A-2663-4A4A-885A-D969AA1338CC.jpeg

They are also called "french curves", usually available at any drafting supply place. Set of three for around $12.00 US.
There may be a mid Atlantic language barrier here - as in gasoline/petrol, thumb tacks/drawing pins, faucet/tap etc.
I understand french curves to be short and curly and used for joining points on a graph before excel did it for us.
(In my working days we only had one french curve in the office; we reckoned that all graphs in our technical papers had the same shape!) £4.84 on Amazon. Ship curves are longer and straighter and for some reason seem to cost £41.79. The tailor's curves I bought were a compromise at £13.99 and included a couple of longish components. The scales marked on the edges are a useful bonus.
French curves.jpg french

shipscurves3.jpgShip

You could also try a Flexi-curve. With it you can match the profile of your hull exactly. Being an old draftie from the pre computer days, I still have all my old set squares, t-squares, ink pens, French curves, Flexi curves, plastic leads etc...all come in quite handy now. Plus the 3D drafting systems we now use are great for knocking up plans, profiles etc...View attachment 313080
Fair point. I still have my old flexi-curve but I am a sucker for buying new toys.

Gosh, it’s so long since I used these that I’d clean forgotten them and, even as an inveterate browser of art and craft shops, I haven’t noticed them on the racks. I model in CAD and have spent hours, days even, measuring and plotting the curves on kit hulls, to recreate in CAD. These would cut that time down a lot.

Looks as though they are are significantly cheaper on your side of the pond. I don't think we have many shipyards left so there is probably not much demand here!
Got the same set at the top from Aliexpress, cheap but very thin and prone to slip on the paper. But they are useable and you can use them as a template to make more robust ones.

You could also try a Flexi-curve. With it you can match the profile of your hull exactly. Being an old draftie from the pre computer days, I still have all my old set squares, t-squares, ink pens, French curves, Flexi curves, plastic leads etc...all come in quite handy now. Plus the 3D drafting systems we now use are great for knocking up plans, profiles etc...View attachment 313080
I to have been looking for a way to help me with the hull curve this is a great idea this never came to mind Thanks for the info. "Amazon here i come"

Back