Ship Main Mast Diameter?

Was thinking I might try to find the rope size used on a model ship. Currently working on the Halve Maen (Half Moon). I've got some of the rigging finished. Starting on the Stays.

I found this message on SOS HERE with an Excel Spreadsheet for determining rope and block size.

Before you can calculate these, one needs to know the diameter of the main mast. I've searched the internet, but can't find the size.

Would it be reasonable to calculate from the dowel size provided by the kit? Or taken from the line drawings? I'm guessing that most kits around 1:48 would be 6mm. So all ropes sizes around this scale would be about the same.

Any thoughts? Thank you.

Was thinking I might try to find the rope size used on a model ship. Currently working on the Halve Maen (Half Moon). I've got some of the rigging finished. Starting on the Stays.

I found this message on SOS HERE with an Excel Spreadsheet for determining rope and block size.

Before you can calculate these, one needs to know the diameter of the main mast. I've searched the internet, but can't find the size.

Would it be reasonable to calculate from the dowel size provided by the kit? Or taken from the line drawings? I'm guessing that most kits around 1:48 would be 6mm. So all ropes sizes around this scale would be about the same.

Any thoughts? Thank you.
I building at 1:46 and the foremast as mainmast are both 10mm before tapering.Nuestra_715.jpgNuestra_724.jpgNuestra_736.jpgNuestra_739.jpg

Can you tell me a little more about the Half Moon? Tonnage, length, beam? I'm right in the middle of this mast/spar stuff and may be able to find something. Most spars size are based on the beam of the ship. An actual measurement of the models beam may help. All that said, the dowel supplied with the ship will probably be close enough. The main mast on my Discovery1789( 100 ft long and 28 ft wide) is about 2 feet in diameter but the real size may vary a bit so by the time you scale everything down and do all the arithmetic and then look at the sizes of rope the supplier has, you can see that the final size will only just be in the ballpark.
If you really want to get silly about it(like me) do a Google search for "A Treatise on Masting Ships and Mast Making by John Fincham". It's a free PDF somewhere on the net.

Here

Click on "read ebook" and then click on "PDF"

Any thoughts? Thank you.
At 1:48 the main mast would be at least 12 mm dia.,but obviously depends on size & type of ship. The 1:75 Le Superbe has fore mast 10 mm, Main mast 12 mm, & mizzen 8 mm.

Back