Ship Model Dioramas

I said that I have not done a ship model since Victory but have done a diorama of Confederacy. I used it as a wreck on a beach being explored by pirates.

Looking at it now I should have left off the bow section. It just became too big and heavy will all the sand I used. Eventually, I threw it out but it was fun to build and I still have the pics. I am posting these pics here now as I never got used to the old system of posting pics. the skeleton in one of the pics is the figurehead and not to scale. The bow section has no portholes because part of the storyline is that it was a pirate ship that was modified to accommodate the crew in better living conditions. The captain treated his men well otherwise they would just leave the ship and spread the news not to join.

Last edited:
Hi Guys. yes, I am still around at almost 82. I think that modeling had a lot to do with it. I am presently building dioramas of the Endurance and Terror for a local museum. Cheer! John.
Would love to see how your project proceeds, please post some pictures.

yes, I will as I plan to build Syren as a diorama. I will have to read a little more about her history. I know that she was captured by the British after she was renamed, Siren. I also know that there must be a good storyline in there somewhere. Any ideas?

Last edited:
The main storyline here was the drumming daybreak ceremony with many vignettes comprising life aboard a Man-OF-WAR. Here is an example.

0b77f7f8-98c7-4bb3-bfd1-554f9e3cb5ed_zpsdwzhgdqt.jpg

For those trying to remove fuss from Basswood or other woods here is something I learned in my decorative bird carving days. Brush on alcohol,the highest strength you can get and raise the grain without using waster which takes forever to dry.Sand and do it again and again until it won't raise the grain anymore.

I am planning to use my own handmade copper plates and nails as I did on Victory. When the planking is completed up to the waterline I will coat the interior of the hull with a thick coat of epoxy glue so that the nails will have something to hold on to.

IMG_2794 (1).JPG

IMG_2796.JPG

IMG_2797.JPG

Back