Ship Models on the Jeremiah O'Brien, Saturday, June 22nd!

Hi All,

Just a quick, last minute note to announce that there will be a small, but special one-day display of ship models from Bay Area modelers on board the Liberty Ship Jeremiah O'Brien this Saturday as part of the ship's 70th anniversary celebration. The display was organized by the South Bay Model Shipwrights club in Los Altos, CA, and local ship model clubs were invited to participate.

The bulk of the models will probably be from the South Bay club. So, those of you in the area might be interested in stopping by and seeing what's there. Plus, there is the tour of the ship.

If you can't make it, hopefully, this will just be a first attempt to organize and promote ship modeling in the SF Bay Area and there will be more to come.

Details on visiting the Jeremiah O'Brien are here: http://www.ssjeremiahobrien.org/

I'll personally have at least two models on display, though I won't be there.

Hope you can make it!
Clare

Re: Ship Models on the Jeremiah O'Brien, Saturday, June 22nd

Man I wish this could have been another month. I was out of the country, sorry I missed it

Hi Kent,

Welcome back!

Sorry you missed the show. It wasn't a big show, but it was nice to have a few models on display in an interesting location. It won't be the last time we display ship models aboard the Jeremiah O'Brien – the Captain of the O'Brien is one of the members of the South Bay Model Shipwrights group, so we're sure to organize another in the near future.

Clare

Hi Gary,

The Jeremiah O'Brien is docked at Pier 45 in San Francisco (Fisherman's whart, pretty close to Hyde Street Pier Maritime National Historic Park). I've only visited her once, but she's a fully operation Liberty Ship and steams out into the bay at least once a month I believe. They fire up the engines on certain Saturdays, so visitors can see them in operation. I posted a link to the ship's web page, check the first post. The ship is definitely worth a visit, even if there isn't a model display. There is still a museum section that includes an interesting D-Day diorama showing Omaha Beachhead, I believe it is, among other things.

Clare

Back