Ship Trolley

I have been scratch building a 40:1 model of Cook's Endeavour and have found that I have been constantly moving the ship from one part of the workplace to another during the build.
I made a small trolley from plastic downpipe and small load dolly. The result has been excellent as the model can be accessed from any angle very easily and more importantly, the workbench can now be used.
Cheers, Peter 20220620_135719.jpg

Love the idea, but the wheel base looks kind of narrow for such a tall arrangement. I'm sure you've got a good feel for it's stability, but based on the photos alone, I think I would be tempted to put a cinder block or some other weight on the base. I can only imagine the sense of horror watching the slow motion fall to the shop floor....

On the other hand, your shop floor is clearly much more flat/level/clean than mine, so significantly less chance of tipping where you are.

The photos tend to accentuate the apparent lack of stability but it really is very stable. I had intended to add weight to the base but it is not necessary. I share your concerns about a tipping incident but the constant moving the boat from one flat surface to another was an even bigger worry, the model is over 740mm (2 .4 feet) long and is not too far away from fitting the bowsprit which will exacerbate the problem.20220618_160334.jpg

As for the floor, I suppose it does look flat/level/clean but the pattern would be a perfect camouflage for tanks as anything dropped immediately becomes invisible.

Cheers, Peter

I have been scratch building a 40:1 model of Cook's Endeavour and have found that I have been constantly moving the ship from one part of the workplace to another during the build.
I made a small trolley from plastic downpipe and small load dolly. The result has been excellent as the model can be accessed from any angle very easily and more importantly, the workbench can now be used.
Cheers, Peter
Hallo @Deeferdog
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back