Ships Wheel Full Scale

Hey guys due to my covid and colon cancer I dont get to mess around much but spent last 2 days working on a ships wheel. All the dimensions etc come from a cd I had for the constitution but it would prob work anywhere.

This is abt as accurate as I can to the real thing as the drawings were very detailed and all the dimensions.

there is one are that bugs me and that is the mounting of the Barrel Core to the frames. is shos a diameter of 1 1/2" for the Spindle and shows the bearings which run in a trough in the spindle but doesnt really show how it is filled in between the bearing plates. there is a lot of gap in there but I guess it doesnt really matter because of the bearings will hold it in place.

Kinda worn down and seems I forgot the Brass Plates on the front and reaf of each of the wheel pieces that hold the Spokes. Ill get around to them. this would make a cool little project for a desktop Piece at a large scale like 1/12 or 1/24 I think the entire wheel from top of spoke to top of spoke is t like 5' 2 1/4" diameter so at 1/12th scale the wheel diameter is like 5 3/16"

Ships Wheel-01.pngShips Wheel-02.pngShips Wheel-03.pngShips Wheel-04.png

Last edited:
there is 68 parts counting the 12 screws for the plates that make up the assy

I also did a belaying pin full scale from dimensioned blueprints from the Constitution and sometime I want to do the capstans but not sure if all the dimensions are there

Belaying Pin-01.png

WOW - my goodness - holy camomile - awesome CAD and 3D model --- dang that looks good. This would be totally awesome as a kit - with the wheel sitting on the deck and steering ropes wrapped around it going through the deck floor.

I kinda thought that but it still needs a little work that why I gave the drawings in case anyone wanted to do their own as the drawings posted are the original sheets from the constitution

There is some errors guys if you look at the last image of the 3D wheel you will see on the outside I have a plate and hole bored. it is wrong in that there is no hole on the outside or plate. it is blind drilled on the inside of the column and there is only a plate on the inside. I was having trouble figuring it out and it was pointed out to me. the shaft I made too long and with a blind bore and the plate only on the inside it would hold the bearings better.

Sometime I need to adjust this and then do a full part layout and drawings but I just havent felt up to it lately and got a call this am at 12:30 and father in law passed away at 12:15 this am 1 day after his 90th bday

The ship's wheel would be a fantastic scratch build project. But, the plans and patterns would have to be done. What are the odds of you doing such a thing?
The patterns of the wheel part can be broken down into like 7 or 8 arches that glue together. It would also be a great project for lathe work making the spindles.
The build can be large like 12 inches tall. You can buy bearings for the hub to make it turn. So, the elements of all of this are near endless of what can be done.

I am interested in at least viewing the plans of what you have. do you mind posting here the dxf file? I think the forum is set up to attach dxf. Just the 2D.

It is full scale and I think I mentioned the height at 1/12th not sure but there is a total of like 60 pieces I think it comes to for the file. and at 1/12th scale it is 5 1/2" Diameter wheel so maybe 1/6th scale put it abt 12 inches.

Yea I can whip something up not a lot of changes to make to it.

things busy next few days due to father in law passing away this am abt 12:15 am so next week I will fix the messed up stuff and lay out a sheet and send it over to you Donnie to look over

Then we can go from there. would be an awesome group project

Well. Your health and family is first. I will be happy to see what u come up with in time. I have turbo cad and I know I can open dxf and dwg files.
being in charge of a group scratch build is a huge thing. I helped Mike41 get his done and it was a near major production. I was in charge of distributing the pdf files.

@JosephH , would you consider CADing a 17th/18th century galley stove? Your skills are off the chart! I’ve been searching for a stl file so I can 3D print. I saw some drawings in a HMS Fly or Pegasus build log. Anxiety levels rising as I struggle with detailed CAD designs. :eek:

Possibly Chris but finding the time is the hard part right now im stuck in covid lockdown 1 more week, trying to console wife as her dad passed couple days ago, and i spend 90% of my days in bed sleeping right now.

If you could find the drawings I can look and see if I can do something

Sounds good Doc. Let me zip up my Connie Drawings and ill put in our special thread everyone can paruse and come up with Ideas. I will try to fix the errors on the wheel this afternoon then the wheel is 100% drawn and I will make part sheets for 1/6th and 1/12th scale.

and we can go from there. Maybe someone can arrange the drawings nicer on the sheets or whatever.

Back