Shipyard Time, Getting Things Done

Thought I'd take some time to mention a few things about Time management in the Shipyard.
These days Time seems to be the thing we have less and less of. With Work, Family, household duties, Friends and Hobbies its a wonder we even have time to sleep. Time is out most Valuable commodity for it takes times to do everything in life no matter what it is that needs doing, it all takes time, Probably the biggest question I get asked is (Joe how do you find the time to do the things you like with all the time required to do the things you must.) There is an answer to that question " YOU MUST find time to do the things in life that bring you happiness, that give you that retreat from the day in and day out chores that are required to live a decent life" The old saying All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy is the truest statement ever said. Lets face it, Work is a requirement that rarely any of us like to do, our reward for that hard work comes in the form of a paycheck that we use to pay bills something else we dislike to do. We do this every day and when we get home there are chores around the house that need doing yet more dislike. So what do we do to combat this? we take time and do enjoyable things like Build Ship models, Fish, Hunt, Ski and a whole host of other cool things. That is our reward for a hard days work. Put that reward aside and we become cantankerous Why? well I already told you "All work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" So now you know there is no excuse not to make and take time out for yourself, its not selfish its a requirement of life and we all need that time no matter who tells you otherwise. SO TAKE TIME FOR YOURSELF

So now that you have decided to take some time out for YOU how do we make the most of the time we are taking? Well that's an easy answer, we plan ahead. Doesn't matter if its rigging a mast to go on a model ship or going hunting after work for a few hours it all requires careful planning to make the most of that time so we can wring out as much enjoyment as possible. Its up to you to figure out how much time you have and the best way to plan that time out we all lead different lives what works for one may not work for all. So how do I do it? I Get up at 4am get myself together with morning things like Brush my teeth have coffee and breakfast and out the door by 5am. I put in my 8 hours and I come home, a couple of hours for around the house duties like Mowing the lawn raking leaves or mending a fence, these are the things I MUST do. I plan these things a day ahead of time so I know today what I'll be doing at the house tomorrow I also know what I'll be doing for me time because I thought ahead. (more on this later) by now its usually 4:30ish I hop in the shower and about the time I'm done and dressed the wife is coming through the door I hug and kiss her and off I go to the shipyard where everything I had planned from the day before is laid out and ready for me. I build till supper time and the wife and I sit down to eat and talk about the days events. I help her with the clean up from supper and that may take half an hour away from my hobbies, but its worth it. Remember this always HAPPY WIFE, HAPPY LIFE. I always ask if she has anything she needs me for and usually its Nope so back to the shipyard I go. I work on what I had planned for the day till 9:30 and I lay out what I'll be doing the next day. Ok so I promised you More on this later, so here it is. My mentality is preparedness and I have an uncanny ability to visualize things in great detail I see what I have to do in my mind and I figure out how I'm going to do it before I even start working. I figure out the most efficient means to an end and I stick to that plan like Glue.

Doing this lets me make the Most of the time I have. Sometimes I will plan several days ahead because I know what I can and can't get done with whatever time I have for that day so things like planking a ships hull I know I can't get that done in a 6 hour time frame, but I know I can get at least 1/4 of it done in that time so it may take me 4 days to plank that ships hull. I know for 4 days ahead what I'll be doing and how far along I should be at the end of each day. I am a steady worker, I don't take breaks. I work through the time I have Quickly and efficiently yet I do it Smoothly and its a well known fact that Smooth is fast so that's how I get a lot done in a short amount of time. I don't let my mind stray to other things while I work that will lead to daydreaming and that's wasted time. when I'm working on something I'm focused on the task at hand and nothing else. So does all this work for me yes it works very well. I do sometimes get side tracked, we all do because none of us are perfect, but that happens to me when I let other things get in my head while I'm working. Planning and focus and some determination will go along way to keeping those gremlins at bay. Will it work for you? I don't know, only you will know that. For me new Ideas come when I am sitting down at lunch, on the drive to customers locations, while I'm in the men's room, while I'm looking over others work here on the forums or on the Net in general. Ideas for improvements can come at anytime when they do come write them down and work them into your planning for the next days tasks, but try not to think of other things while you work leave that stuff at the doorstep to your shop, remember we are trying to maximize output on a minimal amount of time without compromising good clean work. Sometimes an idea will pop up and you see a better way to do something while your working on a task if it saves you a couple min time do it. if its going to extend your time where you wont get what you want dome then you have to make the call. For me I don't do it, but I do store it away and may do it on the next build. I stay the course no matter what and that works for me. So there you have it some things to point to are below. I hope I can help you find a better way to use your time efficiently and effectively in all this mess.
1 Take time for you
2 Visualize what need doing
3 Plan ahead
4 Work efficiently
5 Work steady
6 Focus on the task at hand
7 Stay determined to finish your task in the time you have.
8 The most important thing HAVE FUN!!

hey Joe I do the same thing with pre planning

every night before I go to bed I sit in my nice comfortable chair then relax close my eyes and visualize things I am doing like drawing the steam engine or planking a hull over time I got really good at this, lets call it "meditation" I can assemble and take things apart in my head in a flash of a thought.
When I sit down to actually do the task I have a complete picture of what needs to be done and possible ways of doing it.

stealing time, I am stealing time but I don't feel guilty because the time was mine.

hey Joe I do the same thing with pre planning

every night before I go to bed I sit in my nice comfortable chair then relax close my eyes and visualize things I am doing like drawing the steam engine or planking a hull over time I got really good at this, lets call it "meditation" I can assemble and take things apart in my head in a flash of a thought.
When I sit down to actually do the task I have a complete picture of what needs to be done and possible ways of doing it.

stealing time, I am stealing time but I don't feel guilty because the time was mine.
Exactly I think we all have the ability to do this Some folks just can do it right off the bat and some have to develop it, but I think we all have the ability locked inside. I know for me I have always had the ability to visualize things in pretty good detail, but through years of doing it it's developed into something that's extraordinary where I can inject all possible ways of doing things without forgetting any of it and find the most efficient and logical way to accomplish my task. You nailed it with the word Meditation it really is a state of meditation because my wife will talk to me while I'm deep in thought and then she gets mad at me when I have zero idea what she was saying. That is closing the door on anything other then your thoughts and by meaning that is meditation. Its extraordinary and we can all do it with practice. The human mind is the most amazing thing on planet earth.

in another place and another time I played in a band, music was a big part of my life back then, I used music to teach myself how to as you say close the doors. Using a set of headphones I played music at a very low volume almost to the point you could not hear it. This forces you to focus so you can hear the music. Like when your eyes adjust to a dark room you can see more and more. As you focus the music comes in perfectly clear.

my wife will talk to me while I'm deep in thought and then she gets mad at me when I have zero idea what she was saying. That is closing the door on anything other then your thoughts and by meaning that is meditation. Its extraordinary and we can all do it with practice. The human mind is the most amazing thing on planet earth.

my wife banned headphones long ago she felt it was the key to a door of perception she could not fully understand. From her point of view is was enabling me to drift farther and farther away.

my dad was a POW in WWll and the only thing he had was a bible and he read it over and over day in day out. After the war when we were growing up my dad was a big time book reader and he amassed a huge library on all religions, occult, UFOs, and psyche studies.
When he passed away I got his library and over time read every book. I kind of wanted to find out what he was searching for.
I found it odd he would not go within a mile of a church and had nothing to do with religion but yet he spent his life studying it.

what started the journey was Charles Fort and the Book of the Damned

The human mind is the most amazing thing on planet earth.

if you dare to step over the line and down the rabbit hole you realize that is an understatement.

Last edited:
That is a great way to gain focus. I also played Music in a band as young man. I still play Guitar, however I don't have time for bands anymore. I use my property and hunting for focus training. I'm using all my senses out in the wild. I have much to focus on using all my senses. there is a lot going on in the woods so focus on any one thing can be difficult you have to force your mind into it through concentration. Its really amazing what you can tune out when you really have to. I listen for deer moving in the woods, rather tuff when birds are chirping squirrels and thrashing around, but you can tune those noises out deer walking and squires hopping around can sound fairly similar and I do get fooled here and there, but its not often. When I stalk hunt I'm intensely focused on sight, smell and sound including my own. I learned man tracking in the Military so applied to hunting I can tell when I'm getting close. my senses heighten greatly and I have extreme focus. its an amazing thing.

(if you dare to step over the line and down the rabbit hole you realize that is an understatement.)

Truth
Pretty amazing about your Dad. I've taken on a journey to find where we come from, there are many holes in everything. I know I wont find the answer to tis question, but I cant help searching for answers. I am an open minded person so I explore all leads including alien intervention. and I got to tell you that has weight in the whole scheme of things when you look back on what out ancient ancestors has drawn and written about.

You nailed it with the word Meditation it really is a state of meditation because my wife will talk to me while I'm deep in thought and then she gets mad at me when I have zero idea what she was saying. That is closing the door on anything other then your thoughts and by meaning that is meditation. Its extraordinary and we can all do it with practice. The human mind is the most amazing thing on planet earth
The ability to tune out 'She that Rules' or plan ahead through transcendental engineering :) ? On a serious note, it's so very refreshing to read of all of your experiences and I realize I am not alone in this way. I think a lot of it comes from my dad as well. How I grew up as a complete arseh*le* of a kid to inherit, develop and practice the same traits and skills I swore to the powers that be I would never ever emulate! He's forgotten more than I will ever learn and he's still a font of knowledge and experience. Funny how my own son will tell me I was right these days every once in awhile and even knows which way to turn a screwdriver :)
Ron

Last edited:
That is a great way to gain focus. I also played Music in a band

I was a drummer the original name of the band was Clap we were not allowed to play in the high school dance unless we changed the name. I guess I was slow on the up load did not get the double meaning.

Cleveland had a big car show and battle of the bands one bands drummer did not show up so I filled in that was my one and only 15 minutes of fame. The band was Joe Walsh who went on to join the Eagles.

those times are long gone but I still have my conga drum and every now and then sit down and wait for the right feeling and beat out a rhythm

we all know about that "zone" the moment of Zen or as a buddy called it the 50 yard stare (that is a military thing) I watch my grandson who is into robot competitions who took a national title. Anyhow the entire building around him could fall to the ground and he would never notice while he is driving.

transcendental engineering love it that is a perfect way of saying it

there is this thing my dad called "seeing it all at once" science the big bang, religion moment of creation, inspiration, ah ha moment, no past present or future "be here now"

when asked how did you do that?

I saw it all at once then the labor to actually make it

DSCN5303.jpgDSCN5304.jpg

this is what makes this forum and group different from another one. We seem to have shifted focus from the petty aspects of who is doing what to who, or belittling others, profit, banning and black listing and boycotting. We are seeing the deeper meaning of getting involved in a hobby and one another.
Rather than sell our knowledge we share it.

to Ron and all, Quote from MARK TWAIN ( he wondered why his FARTHER lived so long and new so little, after 4years of collage he WONDERED HOW HIS FARTHER LEARNED SO MUCH IN JUST 4 YEARS. Don

I like to think, where a bunch of blokes who share a passion for modeling period, Like the guilds of old, we pass on what we can about the skills and tricks we have come to learn, sharing our experiences and learning's, helping the next generation of model shipwrights. The who, what , where is irrelevant, its the how and why that important to us.

Like the conversations here and the help i get from everybody . Its a kind of adiction to me that makes me calm and the more i build the more patience i get and the more exactly i work also with building things at home. The docter has cut 2 infections open yesterday under my arm but an hour later in was already in my shipyard. Hope we are all still here the next couple of years and become the best and helpfull forum there is.

That is a great way to gain focus. I also played Music in a band

I was a drummer the original name of the band was Clap we were not allowed to play in the high school dance unless we changed the name. I guess I was slow on the up load did not get the double meaning.

Cleveland had a big car show and battle of the bands one bands drummer did not show up so I filled in that was my one and only 15 minutes of fame. The band was Joe Walsh who went on to join the Eagles.

those times are long gone but I still have my conga drum and every now and then sit down and wait for the right feeling and beat out a rhythm
I'm a Joe Walsh fan as well as the Eagles some of the first songs I learned were Joe Walsh songs Rocky mountain way the very first full song I learned on guitar. Closest I came to making it was playing with a band who made it big less then a year after I left the band. I just couldn't deal with the alcohol and drugs going on though I was no saint In that regard I didn't want it in my life any more so I left that band. I have done a bunch of Demo work Studio time Countless nights Playing clubs and bars I finally came to grips with the fact I wasn't gonna make it. I played through the hair band days and into the Metallica, Pantera and Slayer. Now days I find I'm back to playing the old Joe Wash stuff Clapton and SRV blues. I hope my Grandson will want to Play I have a lot of equipment vintage Marshal stacks 4 to be exact old MXR pedals and Many nice Guitars Including a Les Paul Signed and given to me by KIX Guitarist Ronnie Younkins. They are a home town Band From Maryland. I played at Hammerjacks in a band that opened for them and met the guys we hit it off great and I got to go on stage with them a couple years back at the heritage fest. in Dundalk Md. Felt good to be back on stage again to perform. I miss those days but I'm happy with the life I have now so regrets.

Back