Should our hobby enjoy perpetuation or become past history?

Hello ... my name is Marc Mosko and I've never built a wood model ship before, nor a plastic model - nor any model.

So what am I doing here on your forum? I have good reason. I believe that wood ship model building hobby is a family. Many of us help each other by posting build logs, write articles about our work and create fine models that become legacies. This is the first time in 46 years I've posted on any forum. I figured it's about time. I've been a silent family member for too long.

Here's my story. In the early 1970's I worked and lived in Italy. Due to the strangest of circumstances, I invested and partnered with an Italian in Rome, Italy. We operated a small chain of toy and hobby shops. One day I was in our main store and short, smiling young red-headed man came in carrying a huge wood model kit of HMS Victory. He introduced himself as Sergio Fabrizi. He had just created a new business called Sergal. Passionately, he insisted that his was the world's finest wood model kit and that he selected our store for the introduction of his kit. I negotiated by offering him a place for his built model in our store window and an acceptable price. We agreed, the kits sold well and Sergal (now part of Mantua Model) was born. And I fell in love with model ship building.

Shortly after I took a kit of HMS Victory home with intent to build it. After spending hours over the weekend fitting bulkheads to false keel, working on alignment and finally realizing that if I continued I not only needed expert help but that I would have to sacrifice too much time away from my business. So I stopped. But then I saw that the hours spent were so focused on the building that I thought of nothing else ... not business, not even family, a total escape and a pleasant one. I got to thinking. Wow! What a terrific way for hassled employees, business men and others to eliminate stress. How many of us needed a hobby, I thought? Since I was a born salesman I started thinking as to how we could market wood ship model kits outside of our store.

I went to my partner, Guido (of course), and said, "Guido, let's start a business where we get money in the mail". He answered, "Italy is a land of small shops so no one buys through the mail". He was right so I started thinking America. We had no internet in the 1970's, not even credit cards for mail purchases. Customers had to send a check. No matter. I created an ad selling wood ship models and mailed it to a friend in advertising in New York. He put the ad into Yachting Magazine and then Smithsonian magazine. Yes, people sent checks to Italy, we mailed kits to America and Model Expo was born.

In 1976 Guido and I decided that Model Expo's new home had to be America and we set up shop in New Jersey. Like all small businesses it was rough and the competition did not welcome us. Companies like James Bliss, Boyd, Marine Model, Bluejacket, Scientific Model, Midwest and Model Shipways wanted us gone. We countered by looking for new (wanna-be) ship modelers. We invented simple kits with tools and good instructions in hopes of creating our own customers who had never build wood models before. We also stole some customers from our competitors because they refused to replace missing parts, so we did.

Obsessed with getting new people into the hobby we spent lots of money on advertising kits with tools (Example - Swift, by Artesania Latina) and sold tens of thousands. Many of those first time builders went on to become serious model ship builders. We were still at the outset of our company's growth and this leads me to the main reason I wrote all you've read above.

In the early 1980's I was approached by a New Jersey ship modeling club. Since the club collected no dues and needed to rent a place for their meetings they approached me and John Shedd, then owner of Model Shipways asking us to contribute $50 each so they could rent a location. I agreed and went to the meeting where I met John Shedd of Model Shipways for the first time. The meeting was fascinating, particularly the Show and Tell where various building techniques, shortcuts and tools were shown by members. I got excited about what I saw and heard and thought about the thousands of new first time ship modelers that Model Expo was creating. We had a large customer list and many of our customers lived within driving distance of the meeting place.

I couldn't resist. Towards the end of the meeting I stood up and asked, " Can I describe your club and meeting schedule in our next catalog so that local first-time model ship builders can attend and learn from all of you?" I was met with silence. After a few moments, the president of the club said, apologetically, "I don't think so. This really is not a school for ship model building."

Over the years, I've had numerous similar disappointing experiences, which I'm happy to say constitute a small minority among excellent ship modelers but were characteristic of a few who feel they are the most knowledgeable. I like to call them the high priests of ship model building who contribute no new passages to their bible. I believe in perpetuating the hobby. I like to think that Model Shipways Inc. dba Model Expo has made a serious contribution to expanding the wood ship model hobby. By our count we have started over 250,000 customers on wood ship model building. Of course, many of them are no longer with us and the majority gave up perhaps for the same reason I did when I started. But Model Expo is still seriously focused on creating new wood ship model hobbyists. I would hope that all of you reading this forum are passing on your acquired skills, and knowledge to all generations so that they too can enjoy what you love and leave a legacies of fine miniatures depicting our nautical heritage.

I welcome your thoughts and comments,

Marc Mosko
Model Shipways Inc. dba Model Expo

Hello Marc,

First, it is an honor for you to visit and be a member of this forum. I can say and speak for every member here that "We welcome you !!!"

I certainly do not wish for this hobby to come to a close. I am concerned about the younger generation's interest and wonder how to get those interested. I wonder to myself how many younger ones are coming into this hobby.

As you say "I believe that wood ship model building hobby is a family. Many of us help each other by posting build logs, write articles about our work and create fine models that become legacies." The members of this forum and myself share the exact same sentiment.

Again, it is a pleasure having you join us. If there is anything that SOS or myself can do please do not hesitate to mention it.

Kindly
Donald Driskell

Last edited:
A wonderfully written post Marc and a fascinating look into how your company started.

I have purchased quite a number of kits from Model Expo/Shipways and credit your company for providing me an opportunity to revisit a hobby, after so many years, that is dear to my heart. Why did I buy from you? Well, because of your fullfilment of the dreams of all modellers, both young and old, the returning builders and the first timers to accomplish something they can be proud of.

The kits I have purchased from you sit on shelves in my workshop except the first, which I am presently constructing. Will all those kits ever be completed? Possibly not as the years catch up with me but as I opened your kits imagination of fulfillment and completion was in itself a joy.

I too welcome you to Ships Of Scale, your participation in this wonderful site can only be a benefit to all of us. Thank you.

Welcome, Marc! It is a real pleasure to have you aboard SOS!

I am sure many of our members at some point purchased kits from Model Expo and still do. My story wouldn't be much different from others but... 32 years ago when I came to the USA (New York), the Model Expo was my first store for my ship modeling needs. I bought the Bounty kit made by Mamoly and all my tools (some of those I still use), and yes...as you mentioned in your post, I pay by check! This was my first ever experience ordering by mail ;)

The same trust I put in your store many years ago, members around the globe put their trust in Ship Of Scale, where we share our knowledge, passion, and joy in building new models.

We welcome you to our family of professionals and enthusiasts who share our wonderful hobbies with each other.

Welcome Marco! It's a shame that some of the people behind kit manufacturers only seem to want tto control the hobby instead of expand and popularize it. Very glad to have your here. Thank you for sharing your insights into the origins of Sergal and the model kit industry in general. Kits play a fundamental role in getting new builders into the hobby by greatly reducing the learning curve. I am surprised that many of the Sergal/Mantua kits have not been changed with updates over the years. Internet research has opened the door to access to information which could make the kits more accurate in detail. The older kits seem stale with the flood of books and information now available to us.

Kurt

Last edited:
Hello Marc,
also from my side a warm welcome and a thank you. I think your history is incredibly great and that you have taken the initiative to bring Modell Expo to life. It's amazing when I think about it, when you and Guido had the plan in 1970 I wasn't even born yet.
Great to welcome you here.

Welcome to SOS Marc. The history of your business endeavours is fascinating. I too believe that if more people, young and old, realized the benefit to their mental health by creating models of all types we would all be a lot better off. I spent thirty six years as a front line paramedic, and on my time off I was able to let my mind climb on board my ship model to work on it, and think of nothing else for several hours.

Towards the end of the meeting I stood up and asked, " Can I describe your club and meeting schedule in our next catalog so that local first-time model ship builders can attend and learn from all of you?" I was met with silence. After a few moments, the president of the club said, apologetically, "I don't think so. This really is not a school for ship model building."

the times have changed and Ships of Scale is indeed a school for ship model building without judgement.

But then I saw that the hours spent were so focused on the building that I thought of nothing else ... not business, not even family, a total escape and a pleasant one. I got to thinking. Wow! What a terrific way for hassled employees, business men and others to eliminate stress. How many of us needed a hobby,

you have tapped into the true meaning of the hobby it is not political, it is not about trying to dominate or control the hobby it is about the people.
as the founder of the business The Lumberyard for model shipwrights approaching 40 years and thousands of hours drawing ship plans, researching and milling wood for builders i never made much money from it but got rich beyond my wildest dreams to be a part of this community of model builders and seeing it advance dispite like you met with the disappointing experiences of those set out to do harm.

in my opinion you are the founding farther who has expanded this hobby world wide and continue to do so. I take my hat off to you.

As a comunity let us all unite and expand this wonderful past time
passion has no price tag or bound by rules.

Last edited:
We have in this community is some of the worlds most talented and high tech artisans this hobby has to offer
the hobby has come a long way

explore their work

see what a true artist did with the Black Pearl subject

the history of the subject

Thank you all for the Kudos. You might be pleased to know that Model Expo will have succession as I plan to retire on my 100th birthday (quite a few years from now).and employ young people who are enthusiastic about their future at our company. But when I do retire the company's marketing strategy will go forward. I believe that the ticket to success is the perpetuation of the wood ship model hobby by recruiting younger generations into the hobby. I leave catering to highly experienced model builders to the boutique companies like Syren Ship Models and Vanguard. I believe that new hobbyists can only be taught with an intelligently designed series of model kits starting with kits like Dories and then moving slowly upwards to single masted boats. David Antscherl has created a school of ship-modeling which we call the Shipwright Series, which are highly successful kits and enjoy big sales. I would urge you to think about recruiting new wood ship model builders. Let's grow the family.
I have news. Many of you remember Midwest Product kits. Recently we signed a long-term contract with Saunders-Midwest enabling us to manufacture and market world-wide all 38 kits produced by Midwest since its inception. The first four kits are in production as I write and the plan is to release at least 10 kits per year. See attached.

Attachments

• Midwest-Boats-Flyer (1).pdf
    15.3 MB · Views: 53
Welcome aboard! I think about getting my grandkids into this hobby at some point and having a new line of smaller boat kits available will be a good way to get them into it. A couple of more years and their fascination with all-things Lego will hopefully start to wane....

Welcome aboard! I think about getting my grandkids into this hobby at some point and having a new line of smaller boat kits available will be a good way to get them into it. A couple of more years and their fascination with all-things Lego will hopefully start to wane....
I thoroughly agree with John about getting kids more involved in our hobby. The future of model making is not necessarily us, since we are already into the hobby, but it is up to us to stimulate the interest for young modellers who show an eagerness to learn.

My young grandson was fascinated with a lobster boat model I made years ago. At the time he was ‘knee-high to a grasshopper‘ and far too little and young to wield knives, drills etc but not too young to use glue and sandpaper. He eagerly wanted to make a boat for his Dad for Christmas so off we went to the workshop. I cut an outline flat shape of a simple hull from 3/4” pine on the bandsaw. Drilled two holes in the deck, cut some dowel “masts” and a couple of square blocks. I supplied him with sandpaper and glue and let him at it, under guidance. I then poured him some of his favourite coloured acrylic paint and gave him a paintbrush. There was paint everywhere, including his hands, arms, hair and clothes but he managed to paint “his” model with a huge look of satisfaction. The result, of course, resembled a multi coloured chunk of wood and a multi coloured kid, but it was a start. That was a proud little modeller who presented his wrapped model to his Dad come Christmas. He now retains a growing interest in grandads workshop.

There are kits for kids, which are available from some suppliers but not many. A manufacturer who presents an evolving range of kits for youngsters will surely stimulate a market for the future. Even if it is only a rough hull shape and some pieces of pre-cut wood to start with. That future market then assists in the longevity of our hobby, which I have no doubt can only benefit us all.

the evolution of the young Lego builders all three of my grandsons were heavy into Legos they built every kit and went on to created an entire village
so what happened ? did the interest wane or evolve? my oldest grandson Jake grew up to be a civil engineer, his brother Josh creates computer graphics for computer games, and Jordan is still in college studing architecture.
All three are very savvy with CAD, 3D modeling, 3D printing so if grandpa needs a master fitting for a model guess who i go to?

anyhow i would keep an eye on Model Expo i am thinking this hobby will see some good stuff coming up.

How sad, the elitist nature of that club... Makes no sense to me but every club has its rivet counters... Many bemoan the waning interest in the hobby over the years with the younger generation but perhaps it's the fault of those elites back then to share their knowledge and passion beyond the walled garden.

Back