Shroud fun

I have the stays installed now. Next up, the shrouds. The Artesiana Latina instructions indicate each shroud is installed and just glued to the mast. No seizing or wraps. Is this typical? Right now I am planning on following the instruction set. But they also show ratlines being glued to the shrouds instead of being fully tied across. Your thoughts?

20210729_123955.jpg20210729_123934.jpg20210729_123928.jpg

that doesn't sound traditional. so the instructions are telling you to glue the shrouds directly to the masts? that won't look very good. same with the ratlines. I tried that trick of gluing the ratlines directly to the shrouds and while you save a bunch of time, it does not look good, in my humble opinion.

that doesn't sound traditional. so the instructions are telling you to glue the shrouds directly to the masts? that won't look very good. same with the ratlines. I tried that trick of gluing the ratlines directly to the shrouds and while you save a bunch of time, it does not look good, in my humble opinion.
I intend to tie the ratlines. Gluing looks amateur.

I have the stays installed now. Next up, the shrouds. The Artesiana Latina instructions indicate each shroud is installed and just glued to the mast. No seizing or wraps. Is this typical? Right now I am planning on following the instruction set. But they also show ratlines being glued to the shrouds instead of being fully tied across. Your thoughts?

View attachment 246748View attachment 246749View attachment 246750
I'm currently doing the standing rigging and shrouds on my Black Pearl. The shrouds should be done in pairs around the mast, first two on the port side then the next two on the starboard side.IMG_20210606_131028.jpg
I wouldn't glue them directly to the mast, there are some photos of how I did mine in my log.

I'm currently doing the standing rigging and shrouds on my Black Pearl. The shrouds should be done in pairs around the mast, first two on the port side then the next two on the starboard side.View attachment 246757
I wouldn't glue them directly to the mast, there are some photos of how I did mine in my log.
The first pair of shrouds is on the starboard side (as the picture shows too) - and the very first shroud has to be served all the way down to the deadeye.
János

After all that serving don't forget the pendants go on first unless 17th century galleons used a different method.;)

Back