Shroud vs swifter

With my BN I am at the point for looking to the shrouds on the lower masts. And collecting information about those shrouds on the schooners.
As mentioned by other items, the different drawings shows different options.

Reading Howard Chapelle's 'The American Fishing Schooners' I found on page 614 this interesting lines. The underlining and bold's are mine:
"The lower shrouds were usually three a side on fishing schooners over 70' reg. length. The forward shroud on each mast, the "swifter", was made with a cut-eye-splice. This eye went over the masthead first, with a leg on each side, the lower ends of which were turned over the upper deadeyes of the foremast shroud on each side.
If four lower shrouds were required, the shifters were put on first and last. The shrouds abaft the swifter (fore) were the starboard pair which were cut in one piece, seized to form a loop at the masthead, with the resulting two legs become the second and third shroud on then starboard side. The port second and third shrouds were made the same way and this pair was placed over the masthead last, for the three chain plates.

I don't know yet if I'm going to apply the shrouds in this order, apart from whether it will eventually show. But that in itself is not an issue, because there are more details on my BN that are (almost) not visible. But it's just an interesting detail. Because all the drawing I now know, shows 2x2 pair of shrouds on each side.
I've been looking for information about those 'swifter' with the 'cut-eye-splice' but haven't gotten very far, in relation with the schooners.
Hence the question if someone can provide clarity. An illustration would be nice.
Regards, Peter

Back