SigEp Ziggy - HMS Blandford Cross Section - 1/48 Group Build

Well I guess I need help, the copies don't measure up. They are too small. The scale on the bottom states 10 feet and at 1/48 that should be 2 1/2 inches. Is that right? 10 feet is 120 inches, 48 x 2.5 = 120 or 1 inch = 48 inches so 2.5 inches should be 120 inches.

My keel measures 5 13/16 inches and should be 7 inches

Well I guess I need help, the copies don't measure up. They are too small. The scale on the bottom states 10 feet and at 1/48 that should be 2 1/2 inches. Is that right? 10 feet is 120 inches, 48 x 2.5 = 120 or 1 inch = 48 inches so 2.5 inches should be 120 inches.

My keel measures 5 13/16 inches and should be 7 inches

Hi Shane,
your scale conversion seems to be correct, it matches exactly the dimensions on my drawings.
But the keel lenght you have mentioned is different to mine. 7 inches is by far too much, even 5 13/16 is longer than mine.
My keel measures 132mm on all of the drawings.
Probably Mike41 is right, check the Printer Settings.

Hi Shane, the Keel is shown full size. It is a good idea to have all the drawings printed on the same printer, the scale can vary on different brands of printers.

Well it worked. I just used my printer at home and printed 'actual size' and the keel measures 5 3/16 which matches Udo's 132mm. I think that will work, the scale is still off and the instruction build board size and the outline on the cutout are not the same. Maybe I will look at some other builds and see if that is right. I decided to use popular for the keel and frames, I got a 1/4 x 7 1/4 x 48 piece, I also got some water based clear satin polyurethane. I have a chop saw, a table saw, two band saws, a drill press and router with table, however, I do not have a planer or belt/disc sander. I can probably use my drill press as a drum sander and could rig up my 3in belt sander for the outside of the frames, but I will have to come up with a reliable way to thin down the popular as the frames need to 3/16th thick.
13oct2019 002.jpg
13oct2019.2 001.jpg

Last edited:
Back