Signet's Bonhomme Richard Cross Section [COMPLETED BUILD]

BTW: I lke your new avatar very much - I think it is an Healey 3000, or? One of my favourite classics next to the Jag XK 140
It's a 1956 Austin Healey 100M, or LeMans Healey (only 640 made). I owned it back in the 60s, and had to sell it to help buy our first house. Sold it for $300. Today one in great shape brings $200k+ in an auction. What a profiteer, I am! I just love the lines of the car, and to this day remember it's serial number: BN2L229136:

1658073505639.png

Last edited:
I posted back in June my 3D CAD design for the base, support and cover for my cross section model. The design looked like this:
1664560357593.png

Here are some in-process and completed pics of it along with the model:

I placed painters tape along the edges of where the timber supports are to go:
1664559151267.png
I made the spacing between the bottom strips the same as the strip width, allowing me to use other strips to maintain an even spacing.

After the first row of timber supports, I had this:
1664559178385.png
BTW, the support timbers are Alaskan Yellow Cedar from the Modeler's Sawmill, left unfinished and on the rough side, while the base is walnut. I think the cedar gives a good contrast between the walnut base the pear wood model.

I then placed tape again to help locate the second level of timbers:
1664559277386.png

Second row timber supports are now in place. along with some smaller longitudinal ties:
1664559320238.png

At this point, I've added supports to locate the keel, longitudinal ties on the center support stack,main supports for the hull and inner row of diagonal supports from the outside.
1664559394488.png

The remaining photos are of the completed model with base, as a final presentation of the completed model:
1664559795027.png
1664559818453.png
1664559841350.png
1664559862479.png
1664559882005.png
1664559980229.png
1664560005426.png

These two shots used a "flash" to help show the inner detail a bit better:
1664560129739.png
1664560154040.png

And a final view with the plexiglass cover in place:
1664560183621.png
The blank area in front of the center supports provides room for an engraved brass nameplate, which is on order.

It's been great fun doing this model, and I appreciate all the support, comments and encouragement I've received here. Can't wait for the next project. :)

Thanks very much guys. Especially Paul for providing me with quality roping. I truly enjoyed every minute of this build. While there are a lot of builds of this model here at SOS, there's only one in my den, so it's the best build around! lol!

I forgot to mention in my writeup that I decided to mount the cross section permanently to the base. I felt that if I left it just sitting on the construction base, that the base supports would not be very sturdy, and someone would pick the base up, thinking it to be one piece, resulting in the model falling and getting damaged. I used two #6 wood screws up through the walnut base, the timber supports, and into the keel. The diagonal supports were then glued to both the base and the side of the hull, so they would stay in place better and help keep the model in the correct location. I can still work on it this way, if I want to, such as adding a 1/48 scale crew member that was getting dull-coated when these pics were taken.

I posted back in June my 3D CAD design for the base, support and cover for my cross section model. The design looked like this:
View attachment 331566

View attachment 331550
I made the spacing between the bottom strips the same as the strip width, allowing me to use other strips to maintain an even spacing.

View attachment 331551
BTW, the support timbers are Alaskan Yellow Cedar from the Modeler's Sawmill, left unfinished and on the rough side, while the base is walnut. I think the cedar gives a good contrast between the walnut base the pear wood model.

View attachment 331552

Second row timber supports are now in place. along with some smaller longitudinal ties:
View attachment 331553

At this point, I've added supports to locate the keel, longitudinal ties on the center support stack,main supports for the hull and inner row of diagonal supports from the outside.
View attachment 331554

The remaining photos are of the completed model with base, as a final presentation of the completed model:
View attachment 331555
View attachment 331556
View attachment 331557
View attachment 331558
View attachment 331559
View attachment 331560
View attachment 331561

View attachment 331563
View attachment 331564

View attachment 331565
The blank area in front of the center supports provides room for an engraved brass nameplate, which is on order.

It's been great fun doing this model, and I appreciate all the support, comments and encouragement I've received here. Can't wait for the next project. :)
Beautiful build, so much to take in, great job.

Absolutely a great build of both the model and display case.

The work on supports for ship in dock are great.

Where did you get the glass for case, real glass or Plexiglas? and cost?

Absolutely a great build of both the model and display case.

The work on supports for ship in dock are great.

Where did you get the glass for case, real glass or Plexiglas? and cost?
Thank you, Kurt. The supports do seem to set it off nicely, and support it well too.

The clear case is acrylic (Plexiglas), 3/16" thick, 5-sided, from ShopPopDisplays.com. Cost me $135, but when I price it out on their site now it comes out less than $110 with free shipping. Could it be the price of something has gone down? Nah!

Great build and a nice dust cover

I also have this model on my list as a future model.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the cover are (LxW.H)?

Regards
Henk

Great build and a nice dust cover

I also have this model on my list as a future model.

Can you tell me the dimensions of the cover are (LxW.H)?

Regards
Henk
Thank you for the comments. This was my first experience with pear wood, and I hope it's not the last.

Mine is 12 3/8” wide x 8 3/4” deep x 13” high outside. I know others have suggested 3" clearance all around, but at least on this model, that would have been ridiculously large IMHO. I wouldn't have minded it being 1/2" or so shorter, actually.

View attachment 331566

View attachment 331550

View attachment 331551

View attachment 331552

View attachment 331553

View attachment 331554

View attachment 331555
View attachment 331556
View attachment 331557
View attachment 331558
View attachment 331559
View attachment 331560
View attachment 331561

View attachment 331563
View attachment 331564

View attachment 331565

Good morning. Wonderful cross section. The stand together with the many details you have included has made for a beautiful model. Cheers Grant

Just

BRAVO

the presentation with the base is as good as your model :cool:

Thanks, guys. It does look very nice on my desk. But a lot of the thanks goes to those who built (at least partially) this kit before me, like you Uwe, ReneK, carlosys, neptune, Adiefenbach, Oldpaperone, Osaul, stan167, and of course Jeronimo with his scratch builds of this ship. The help and ideas one can find on these forums are fantastic!

Back