Signet's Bonhomme Richard Cross Section [COMPLETED BUILD]

Continuing on with adding guns to the middle gun deck:
1654552626853.png
I've probably said before that I don't care for the perfectly coiled ropes on a deck. I cannot imagine a seaman taking time to do this, and I actually don't understand how it could be done very well. Even with our model roping, laying rope in a flat coil makes the rope kink and not lay flat. To me, the seaman would coil it up like we would a garden hose or extension cord, just wrapping it around shoulder and hand, or just over the hand, creating a loose coil which would then be placed on the deck, or maybe more often, hung an eye or convenient area on or near the gun. I tried to imitate this in the above, using a single rope from the blocks to the end of the coil. Not great, but maybe not too horrible.

I said at the beginning of this thread that my build would probably be more about how to work with mistakes, find easier/simpler ways of doing things, etc., rather than how to build a perfect model. That's been done by Uwe and Janos and others. Anyhow, I found it difficult to make the coiled ropes in place, even when done separately on a template, so thought I'd try cutting the ropes short, and adding coils over top, as many do on belaying pins. My first thought was to wrap the rope around a round object, so I tried a dowel with wax paper covering and plastic tubing:

1654553064447.png 1654553079268.png
I coated each concentrated area of rope with thinned white glue, and separated them to make it easy to cut them apart with a blade.

They weren't hard to make this way, but unfortunately, this I ended up with coils made more like springs than hand coiled ropes:
1654553117567.png 1654564751074.png

I then tried wrapping rope around pins, using a piece of rod (and other pins not photographed) to keep them flat, and again coated them with thinned glue. So I went to this method, which better imitates the hand coiling method I discussed above.

I placed the other guns on this deck, cutting the ropes from the blocks short, and adding the coils on top. I did this for the other gun on the side with the finished decking. On the other side, where I am using only the main structural members so as to see the construction better, I mounted the guns with the back trucks on a temporary plank and with breeching cables only. That seems more appropriate when the decking is not in place:

1654565542065.png
The above view also show the cannon ball triangles and balls in place. There was supposed to be two on each side, but it didn't seem appropriate over the framing without any decking.

1654564905380.png

Finally, the pumps get inserted and glued into the model, instead of getting lost and damaged on my work area as they've been for the past month or so. The discharge pipes are of very thin wall copper tubing, which I was able to get thinner and smaller than brass tubing:
1654565189357.png

Guess I'll start planning the next deck. Thanks for watching.

Last edited:
Hello Signet, wonderful work. I love your ropes, I think the accurate alignment of the ropes is just for show in docks or something.

Well done, from all the pictures I've seen, how unnaturally these are rolled up, I think this is the best solution

I have a question about the pumps
pomp.jpg

What is the function of the parts attached to the side?
I think it looks great

Regards
Henk

Well done, from all the pictures I've seen, how unnaturally these are rolled up, I think this is the best solution

I have a question about the pumps
View attachment 312656

What is the function of the parts attached to the side?
I think it looks great

Regards
Henk
They're called Chocks. I assume they're used to move the spear (piston) up and down to pump up water. They used quite a few long crew-operated levers on each to do that, but I've never seen how they're attached or used.
1654609970644.png
Now that I look at them again on my model, I think I may have the chocks oriented correctly. They're done as shown in the kit, but depending on how the bars were attached, seems like they might be facing the wrong direction. Lacking any definite info, though......

Reading more about the operation, the chocks are there simply as a stop to prevent the spear from going all the way down. The description of operation of the above is:
1654611030674.png
Except it isn't entirely clear, to me (about the attachment of the martinet).

Last edited:
This kit builds into a beautiful model when done properly, and you have done a sterling job so far. I am not really into sectional builds, but this one has my attention.

This kit builds into a beautiful model when done properly, and you have done a sterling job so far. I am not really into sectional builds, but this one has my attention.
Thanks, Heinrich, high praise from a modeler such as you. I really like the cross sections, as being an engineer, I find it educates and impresses at the same time. But this being the largest, most detailed cross section kit I know of, guess I will have to go back to a "normal" ship model when it's done

Very good work - When I see your section I am thinking about finishing mine asap.

I have a question concerning the Mast Coat (I think it's called) on the Bonhomme Richard. The model includes two wooden rings for this use, on the upper and middle decks. I lost one, somehow, but that may not be a problem. Bourdroit's book on the 74 shows a similar mast coat on the middle deck (in red below), but what I believe is a canvas cover for the top mast coat (no doubt over some kind of ring), shown in blue:
View attachment 309998

Since I only have one wood ring, I will use that for the middle deck, as shown in red. I was going to make a duplicate for the upper deck, but as it was probably closer to what is shown for the 74, I think I will model that instead.

My questions are: Do you agree with this? And how would I go about modeling this? On a fully-modeled and painted version, painted cloth would probably be most accurate. But on this "unfinished" (mostly natural oiled pear wood), I'm not sure painted fabric would be best. Although I'd have no way of turning a similarly shaped piece of wood. Any ideas?
Marquardt describes it like this: canvas collar on the mast. A collar was formed from old canvas, which was wrapped around the mast and strapped to it. Then they tarred it.

2F730AF1-B53E-466E-8E8D-A584A0A51097.jpeg

Marquardt describes it like this: canvas collar on the mast. A collar was formed from old canvas, which was wrapped around the mast and strapped to it. Then they tarred it.
Thanks, Tobias. That is similar to what Uwe was describing for the BR, except it may have been nailed to a ring and it didn't flare out nearly as much. Same idea, though. Thanks for posting the very interesting drawing. What was the subject of the book?

Interesting that Marquardt describes it as "old canvas". Considering the cost of the ship and the necessity of preventing water entry, I would think it worth using "new canvas" for this important item. ;-)

Last edited:
Danke, Tobias. Das ist ähnlich wie das, was Uwe für den BR beschrieben hat, außer dass es vielleicht an einen Ring genagelt wurde und nicht annähernd so stark aufflackerte. Gleiche Idee, obwohl. Danke für die Veröffentlichung der sehr interessanten Zeichnung. Was war das Thema des Buches?

Interessant, dass Marquardt es als „alte Leinwand“ bezeichnet. In Anbetracht der Kosten des Schiffes und der Notwendigkeit, das Eindringen von Wasser zu verhindern, würde ich es für sinnvoll erachten, für diesen wichtigen Gegenstand "neue Leinwand" zu verwenden. ;-)
8AC4C15C-F154-4934-843F-E9BF8ED76211.jpeg

Hello Alessandro, could you give me the title of this book? I can't read it, Thanks
The german title of the book written by Karl Heinz Marquardt is
"Bemastung und Takelung von Schiffen des 18.ten Jahrhunderts"
the english title is slightly different, but with mainly the same content
"Eighteenth-century rigs & rigging"
51kJVIWauPL._SX375_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

BTW: There is a very informative web-page

Back