Small Steel Barque, 1894

What is your degree of interest in this type of model?

• Extremely interested.

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • Quite interested.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Slightly interested.

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Indifferent.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Not in the slightest bit interested.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Miniature modelling. 32 feet to 1 inch.
Steel barque Caithness-Shire
Are any fellow model shipbuilders interested in this sort of thing? See Poll.
Bob

Caithness-Shire (Medium).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Small Steel Barque, 1892

<r>I feel that I am banging my head on a brick wall <E>:angry-banghead:</E> ! It is not that I feel it necessary to receive praise either great or small, the indifference is finally getting through to me. Of the vast numbers that have looked at this, only 8 have bothered to fill it in. I really would have felt better if there had been thirty or forty "not the slightest bit interested!" that would have been infinitely better than an astronomical high level of indifference. <br/>
<br/>
As I build them mainly for my own satisfaction and pleasure, I am beginning to feel "why bother" trying to force-feed modellers with a type of ship (Merchant Navy) that few of them have any interest in anyway? <br/>
<br/>
Bob</r>

<r>It is difficult to explain. But imagine if you found a big forum such as MSW and it was 99% models of iron and steel square-riggers and steamships with very little visible evidence of anyone being interested in other types of ship. Not many modellers who preferred warships and Napoleonic sailing ships would stop there very long!<br/>
Apart from one other member here, no-one else seems to have an active interest in merchant ship models of the late 1800s. I have combed the internet to try and find a scratch building forum that likes merchant ships and I am afraid there aren't any!<br/>
The <I><s></s>Pass of Brander<e></e></I> (attached) is now in Belgium. I don't actively try and sell them, but I must get rid of them because the house is not big enough, but they do trickle out without much effort on my part. And I like a hobby that is self-financing. <br/>
Bob</r>

Attachments

• Pass of Brander (Medium).JPG
    Pass of Brander (Medium).JPG
    97.9 KB · Views: 170

<r>Steel barque <I><s></s>Marjory Glen<e></e></I> - 32 feet to 1 inch -<br/>
Bob</r>

Attachments

• Marjory Glen (Medium).JPG
    Marjory Glen (Medium).JPG
    91 KB · Views: 168

<t>Hi Bob, I can't vote on your poll, because I'm more then interested in your models but I could never do a scale that small in the rigging. I would go nuts, you my man have great patience to do this fine of work. Keep up the builds and I'll be more then happy to look on.</t>

<r>Kent,<br/>
I have very little patience! Most people say they could never do it and that is the end of it. Others say they haven't the time! When I ask how long it takes to build a kit, it is usually measured in months and years! I certainly could never do that!<br/>
<br/>
As for the rigging, it is so simple it is unbelievable. It is all wire and there are no knots anywhere.<br/>
<br/>
If you want to try, take about 3 inches of fine copper wire and pick it up at each end with two small pairs of pliers, stretch it slightly and put it down again. This takes about three seconds. You will then see that it is perfectly straight. Measure where you want it to go on the model with a pair of dividers and cut a piece of the straightened wire to the required length. This takes about three seconds.<br/>
<br/>
Pick it up in the centre with a small pair of tweezers, dip each end in contact adhesive, and place it in position on the model! That takes another three seconds. So, in 9 seconds, you have rigged a backstay <E>:D</E> How long do you take?<br/>
<br/>
Bob</r>

<t>Bob thats increable, I never would have guessed. I've never done wooden ship building before and I got these kits free, so I'm going to have to learn with the kits I have. But I might try your scale someday, until then I'll follow along.</t>

<r>Kent,<br/>
Yes, I see what you mean. I have just looked at your workshop and those big models. I certainly would never have the patience to take on anything like that. Best of luck - fascinating hobby <E>:D</E> <br/>
Bob</r>

<t>This model is now completed, and has been placed in the Completed Builds section!!<br/>
Bob</t>

Back