SMS Trinkstein by dafi - SOS - Stone on Soil - Flush deck frigate of the Austrian Mountain Navy 1:72

SMS Trinkstein, a two masted flush deck frigate, a ship of the late Stonehenge-class, Austrian Mountain Navy

Some time long long long ago, I was visiting my moms family in the austrian Alps near Vienna. Trekking a bit the mountains, I found her, in 1850 meters altitude, well hidden in the secret austrian dockyards, the SMS Trinkstein, the proud flagship of the Austrian Mountain Navy :)

800_Gebirgsmarine_3818.jpg

800_Gebirgsmarine_3821.jpg

The sharp lined heavy metal bow and the magnificent curves, build out of the finest local materials that made her as strong and imperturbably as possibly, made my immediately cry of happiness.

Later on, in the mountain hotel, after some touristic Germknödel (yeast dough dumpling with a mix of poppy seeds and sugar, filled with spicy plum jam and melted butter on top), some Jagertee (mixing overproof rum with black tea. It is served warm and is typically consumed during winter), some Schnaps (translation unnecessary) and some more Jagertee my mind started drifting away ...

... and I saw her, the SMS Trinkstein ploughing with 11 to 12 knots through the alp meadows of the Rax-Schneeberg-Plateau, battering the elements into submission.

And I recognised the SMS Trinkstein as a two masted flush deck frigate, a ship of the late Stonehenge-class, introducing the cruiser stern much earlier than any other nation. In many respects these classes were unique in many respects, but it is difficult to gather information due to the secret bases they operate from.

Length over all stones is about 7,635 fathom, extreme width about 6,7 ell. The crew usually were some.

And my inner eye saw the building up of the mountain waves, the storm-battered ground, cut by the sharp lined heavy metal bow ...

800_Trinkstein_7989.jpg

... and the massive stone breast hooks, giving the needed strength to the stempost ...

800_Trinkstein_7983.jpg

... down to the enormous kelsons needed for the ultimate stable installation of the masts

800_Trinkstein_8001.jpg

Also I saw emerging the great bow wave, being pushed forward by the vast brutal strength of the bow though the untouched earth leaving battered earth and scattered stones all over behind. Yes I was able to hear and feel that.

The ships mascot was arriving soon ...

800_Trinkstein_8015.jpg

... as was the rest of fresh pressed crew with their cute blue and white dress uniforms.

800_Trinkstein_8038.jpg

And there he came, with proudly shown chest, our flamboyant master and commander, receiving his hat and uniform ...

800_Trinkstein_8030.jpg

... and being the proud conquerer of earth, wind and daisies, master of the elements :)

800_Trinkstein_8034.jpg

Last edited:
Most important messages fast set ...

800_Trinkstein_8039.jpg

... there she sails, the proud frigate, only the storm jib set, driven by the devastating energy of the elements, riding the crests, her flag beaming with pride, being pushed by her crew to the limit, always facing abyss and downfall!

800_Trinkstein_8045.jpg

The crew is fighting the elements, the earth is splashing high, each hand movement is set with precision. With concision our master guides this pride of the austrian mountain marine towards new shores ...

800_Trinkstein_8040.jpg

... my Heart will go ooooo-o-ho-o-n ...

800_Trinkstein_8049.jpg

... and the crew becomes one.

800_Trinkstein_8041.jpg

But what is this? The pilot missed the ship? Still stands on the far off 
shore? This in these extremely difficult waterways? Hastily the crew puts up the blue and yellow flag ...

800_Trinkstein_8043.jpg

... but he? He stays calm ...

800_Trinkstein_8050.jpg

... he knows that he is best equipped ...

800_Trinkstein_8052.jpg

... and so he keeps sailing towards Victory :)

800_Trinkstein_8053.jpg

Epilogue:

Sometimes later, I was taken out of that wonderful dream, being sent downhill again. But this moment, I took it with me ☺

Cheers Daniel

Anyway one should never forget: In the post napoleonic area Austria was one of the world´s strongest naval powers!

XXXDAn
Ja Ja
As time goes by
I was not sure, when the Stonehenge-class frigates were launched ...... it is a realtively unknown class and I can not find any contemporary drawings ;)

Back