Soleil Royal 1: 72 from Altaya/ D'Agostini

Hi all Builders and special to those building Kits from Altaya/ DeAgostini, as there has been a mix-up of this between Mr.
Gilbert Build and some drawings from my build, I will take this chance to clear up a few things, apart from the mix-up, mainly to those who are building or thinking of building from these companies. HAVE patient. In my case nearly 5 years, before I got the last parts. Altaya, when they want to introduce a Model- generally only in one country at the time, they do a HEAVY MARKETING campaign. The 1Th 2 Years was Weekly delivery locally, then after this period from head office quarterly. The 1Th delivery was very cheap, then they slowly raised the price. Each Weekly delivery came with some parts- but not in order -the construction manual, BUT 1:1 DRAWING nor any other drawing until the last year, so was the most difficult and last build.
The first four Pic. are some marketing campaigns. images 5-9, where they apart from writing it, made a DVD claiming that a 14 years old boy could build
images 5-9 are 5 weekly delivery and nº 1othe after 3 months. I am showing these images now before I go into the Build

Last edited:
Hi all Builders and special to those building Kits from Altaya/ DeAgostini, as there has been a mix up of this between Mr.
Gilbert Build and some drawings from my build, I will take this chance to clear up a few things, apart from the mix-up, mainly to those who are building or thinking of building from these companies. HAVE patient. In my case nearly 5 years, before I got the last parts. Altaya, when they want to introduce a Model- generally only in one country at the time, they do a HEAVY MARKETING campaign. The 1Th 2 Years was Weekly delivery locally, then after this period from head office quarterly. The 1Th delivery was very cheap, then they slowly raised the price. Each Weekly delivery came with some parts- but not in order -the construction manual, BUT 1:1 DRAWING nor any other drawing until the last year, so was the most difficult and last build.
The first four Pic. are some marketing campaigns. images 5-9, where they apart from writing it, made a DVD claiming that a 14 years old boy could build
images 5-9 are 5 weekly delivery and nº 1othe after 3 month. I am showing these images now, before I go into the Build
athois the corret buid. the is another one -zhl_- with a mixture of Gilbert model and some drawings pdf of mine. will try to find out my images and drawing here

Last edited:
Hi all Builders and special to those building Kits from Altaya/ DeAgostini, as there has been a mix up of this between Mr.
images 5-9 are 5 weekly delivery and nº 1othe after 3 month. I am showing these images now, before I go into the Build

View attachment 308076

View attachment 308077

View attachment 308078

View attachment 308079

View attachment 308080

View attachment 308081

View attachment 308082

View attachment 308083

View attachment 308084

View attachment 308085
This 1Th. part is/was to show, what tuu gets from weekly delivery from Altaya. not one single 1:1 drawing of hull etc.
planking the bow was a must. after the first coat was, a 2 Nd planking was added with contact glue after filing small failers and fillers were added. The next big problems were the side gallery. I finally added fillers into the empty space. as can be seen, all gunport were fake. a piece of wood glued behind and a dummy gun inserted, resulting in some going loose and into the hull. no wat- apart from open the lower part of the hull-to get them out again. the 2Nd picture shows the mother nature sanding. I am only less than a mile from the seafront. high humidity, in sommer high humidity and heeat. the change in the wind, sometimes coming from the Sahara desert with a lot of sand- nature's own blast blasting.

The next shot will be about the riggen, mat and sails

DSC02896 - copia.JPG

nº3.JPG

2.JPG

7.JPG

4.JPG

9.JPG

12.JPG

18.JPG

24.jpg

27.jpg

31.jpg

This 1Th. part is/was to show, what tuu gets from weekly delivery from Altaya. not one single 1:1 drawing of hull etc.
planking the bow was a must. after the first coat was, a 2 Nd planking was added with contact glue after filing small failers and fillers were added. The next big problems were the side gallery. I finally added fillers into the empty space. as can be seen, all gunport were fake. a piece of wood glued behind and a dummy gun inserted, resulting in some going loose and into the hull. no wat- apart from open the lower part of the hull-to get them out again. the 2Nd picture shows the mother nature sanding. I am only less than a mile from the seafront. high humidity, in sommer high humidity and heeat. the change in the wind, sometimes coming from the Sahara desert with a lot of sand- nature's own blast blasting.

The next shot will be about the riggen, mat and sails

View attachment 308615

View attachment 308616

View attachment 308617

View attachment 308618

View attachment 308619

View attachment 308620

View attachment 308621

View attachment 308622

View attachment 308623

View attachment 308626

View attachment 308627
pre-painted. the gun port can be open or closed.
hull and deck are mothers natures weathering living near the seafront, and the model standing -wind, sand, humidity and rain - out on the terrazzo, -when no space inside- the ship in the background is Norske love 2, being refitted, after 5 years in a Beach restaurant

pre-painted. the gun port can be open or closed.
hull and deck are mothers natures weathering living near the seafront, and the model standing -wind, sand, humidity and rain - out on the terrazzo, -when no space inside- the ship in the background is Norske love 2, being refitted, after 5 years in a Beach restaurnt
A few more pics of the build. The side Galleries were very dificult to build. at the end a add fillers, before the cloosind plant at the edge.

ava semanal 002 %28Copiar%29.JPG

ava semanal 005 %28Copiar%29.JPG

B Soleigh 2.jpg

ba 001 %28Copiar%29.JPG

now the riggen starts. a general view and the bowsprit, fore, main and mizzen mast (in PDF format can be open with Acrobat Reader) they are all in 1:1 format. the original went to France.

bateau-le-Soleil-Royal-01.jpg

baupres.jpg

View attachment 311159

Attachments

• M-Bowsprit plan.pdf
    137 KB · Views: 17
  • M-Foremast plan.pdf
    223.5 KB · Views: 12
  • M-mainmast plan.pdf
    238.1 KB · Views: 9
  • M-Mizzenmast plan.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
now the riggen starts. a general view and the bowsprit, fore, main and mizzen mast (in PDF format can be open with Acrobat Reader) they are all in 1:1 format. the original went to France.
A few words about my Riggen -being without drawings or plans- so failure occurs. According to instruction, there was/is a big mistake on the upper sail on the Foremast. It was far too little compared with the same sail on the mainmast, but I went on- Wrong. The main mast was correct, but the failure in the instruction manuals come when I came to the mizzen mast. The mizzen mast -according to instruction -was Rigged as the mainmast with all tree square sails, as on the fore and the mainmast - WRONG_- There should be No sail on the Lower Yard, as later the Spanger had to be added. When I found out about the mistake I was so angry, that I went on - I did not care anymore about this ship. 6 months later -after standing outside on the terrace, I dismantled totally. Destroyed the hull etc. I still have all the Fig. and gunports and other metal parts. On some of the pic, I have made some arrows to show where the mistake were. next bach I about the riggen plan -which all came att the end- after nearly 4 years build, and believe there are some interest to see them

0_1A_soleil_royal-27253.jpg

10-07-14 010.jpg

20140814_101658.jpg

20140826_100702.jpg

20140829_095238.jpg

20141017_093756.jpg

pea mobil 058 - copia.jpg

sejl162.jpg

soleigh 2.jpg

Last edited:
A few words about my Riggen -being without drawings or plans- so failure occurs. According to instruction, there was/is a big mistake on the upper sail on the Foremast. It was far too little compared with the same sail on the mainmast, but I went on- Wrong. The main mast was correct, but the failure in the instruction manuals come when I came to the mizzen mast. The mizzen mast -according to instruction -was Rigged as the mainmast with all tree square sails, as on the fore and the mainmast - WRONG_- There should be No sail on the Lower Yard, as later the Spanger had to be added. When I found out about the mistake I was so angry, that I went on - I did not care anymore about this ship. 6 months later -after standing outside on the terrace, I dismantled totally. Destroyed the hull etc. I still have all the Fig. and gunports and other metal parts. On some of the pic, I have made some arrows to show where the mistake were. next bach I about the riggen plan -which all came att the end- after nearly 4 years build, and believe there are some interest to see them

View attachment 311196

View attachment 311198

View attachment 311199

View attachment 311200

View attachment 311201

View attachment 311202

View attachment 311205

View attachment 311207

View attachment 311208

Thank you for posting these El Capi. I am sure they will be of help to those building the Soleil Royale.

Have a look El Capi. 16 Replies / 625 Views.

EC.png

Back