Soleil Royal - Heller 1/100 Back to work!

Made some drwng...may be it will help to clarify my idea how to imitate spliced loopView attachment 256573
Many thanks Kirill, great drawing!

This is true sharing of knowledge, this is why these “old” forums are so much better than social networks of today!!

That showed me a way, that I would never consider by myself, again, many thanks!

You are wellcome! :)))
Than thinest strand You will use making this " splicing" knots, than appearance will be more accurate and better looks!
In the begining of my rigging ,I made it very roughly,used too thick strands...but later on, I have found Gutterman Scala... it is like mono strand...very thin and handy to use for this purpose...
It must be painted before use as well...it keeps knonts tight and prevents undone...in process better use some" 3rd hand", for convinience ...
This is Scala details...with Nos

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210917-161313_Mail.jpg
    Screenshot_20210917-161313_Mail.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I am now trying to create served rope…

I made a small jig for this purpose, and it works fairly well, but as far as I can understand serving a rope consisted of 3 steps:

1-Worming
2-Parceling
3-Serving

I omitted the first two and did only the serving, the problem is that the rope does not look cylindrical… you can still see twisted strands!!

I don’t think it is practical to do the worming, but I would like to know what you think, does anybody do the worming before the serving? Or it is just me going nuts…?

3D2A4406-9A9E-4D57-84F4-ADD5BA5E999E.jpeg

19985DFD-8F7F-4E7A-B012-0A288703CF2A.jpeg

Look great but you didnt show full hull made..hmm didnt you ?! I see on zoom. Fenomenal :)

Oh no no..just photo of it how look now. I do not wanna disturb you coz i know how is hard with rope.
Oh yes! It is basically the same as in the beginning of this thread… I’m still working on the bow parts and nets… just finish the second one yesterday!

I am a very slow and lazy worker, but here it is as she’s now:

D08C72BB-0CF0-4B66-97A8-561A1AACB196.jpeg

Amazing. And lovely colors.. i dont know when i start build mine.. workin for 3 shift so also not eazy found time for models. Now i make HMS Beagle and also going slowely. But watching many nice SR ship is make me more crazy for take box and just start do something :)

Amazing. And lovely colors.. i dont know when i start build mine.. workin for 3 shift so also not eazy found time for models. Now i make HMS Beagle and also going slowely. But watching many nice SR ship is make me more crazy for take box and just start do something :)
Thanks for your nice comments, taking up the box and glue something is really all that you need to start it up, go ahead… she’s a great kit after almost 50 years!!

I am now trying to improve the bow of the Soleil Royal kit, I wanted to use the kit masts and spars, but they just don’t look right… I decided to make my own masts and spars from brass, wood and plastic.

The dimensions and proportions of the kit plastic masts are not trustworthy, some are too long, some are too thin, some are to thick, some all 3 combined.

For example the kit bowsprit mast is too thin and too long, I used as a reference both Saint Phillippe and L’ambitieux monographs, although Soleil Royal is a bigger vessel. I calculate the proportions relating to the main mast diameter at deck level. Soleil Royal is about 6 % larger than Saint Phillipe.

This is how the bow is going, upside of the brass masts is that they will not twist or bend, with rope tension later on…

A7A4E2FA-5DF2-4021-9CAF-CE7FAB0D7796.jpeg

Very interesting! You are also making one of the most important alterations to the sprit-mast, which is to ensure that it does not run afoul of the forward headrail rosettes.
That was the first thing that got my attention regarding this bowsprit mast…

You really have to be in love with this kit, not to give up…

For me, even with all it’s problems, it is still a very beautiful and special kit!

As you might well imagine, I could not agree with you more. For all of its problems, Heller does manage to get quite a number of things right. The kit is, after all, a very close copy of the Tanneron model.

Contrast that with the brand new Artesania Latina SR:

There is no comparison. At least with the Heller kit, you have a jumping off point from which you can make something really good. I do think you can make a better version from this new AL kit, but it would be a significant effort at reverse engineering.

If I were to do it over - spoiler alert: I won’t - I would definitely do what you did with the lighter blue and the darker oil. You have managed to capture this effect, which I like so much:
872D45D1-5D63-457A-993A-8C6D1A5BAB65.png

As you might well imagine, I could not agree with you more. For all of its problems, Heller does manage to get quite a number of things right. The kit is, after all, a very close copy of the Tanneron model.

Contrast that with the brand new Artesania Latina SR:

There is no comparison. At least with the Heller kit, you have a jumping off point from which you can make something really good. I do think you can make a better version from this new AL kit, but it would be a significant effort at reverse engineering.

If I were to do it over - spoiler alert: I won’t - I would definitely do what you did with the lighter blue and the darker oil. You have managed to capture this effect, which I like so much:
View attachment 262272

That model from Augustin Pic is one of my all time favourites, you sure get it where I got inspiration for the blue… spot on!!

The Soleil Royal form Artesania is simply not a “scale model”.. it’s more like a special toy, this is just my opinion based on how I see a scale model without any disrespect from AL

The only thing regarding Heller SR comparing it with Tanneron model is the proportions of the under water hull, I still have my doubts that Heller catch it right, even if you rise the water line almost 1 cm, as I did, it still looks to shallow considering the upper water hull.

I did already some research regarding this matter, and I couldn’t find any schematics or drawing supporting these proportions, but it’s not that far way, if you compare it with similar vessels of between 1670 and 1690. After this date, the proportions are close to 1:1 under water:upper water at maximum breath.

But for example, if we look the carving works, Heller did an amazing job, the best that I ever seen in a plastic model. 5 stars to Heller here!!

That model from Augustin Pic is one of my all time favourites, you sure get it where I got inspiration for the blue… spot on!!

The Soleil Royal form Artesania is simply not a “scale model”.. it’s more like a special toy, this is just my opinion based on how I see a scale model without any disrespect from AL

The only thing regarding Heller SR comparing it with Tanneron model is the proportions of the under water hull, I still have my doubts that Heller catch it right, even if you rise the water line almost 1 cm, as I did, it still looks to shallow considering the upper water hull.

I did already some research regarding this matter, and I couldn’t find any schematics or drawing supporting these proportions, but it’s not that far way, if you compare it with similar vessels of between 1670 and 1690. After this date, the proportions are close to 1:1 under water:upper water at maximum breath.

But for example, if we look the carving works, Heller did an amazing job, the best that I ever seen in a plastic model. 5 stars to Heller here!!
Agreed on the lower hull proportions. Raising the waterline helps a lot, but it still isn’t quite right. When Richard Romaniak photographed his Heller SR in water, it gave me the idea to cut away the lower hull entirely. It wasn’t until the last few years, when I contacted him, that I learned that he photographed the model - full hull - in his pool. Looking at the photographs on his website, I always thought he had also cut his hull down and set it in a gel-sea.

It’s a poor-quality image, but he appears to have taken images of the model off his website:

C694E2C9-17C8-477A-ABFF-CEB6F3E54070.jpeg

If ever a picture didn’t do the subject justice, this is it.

Back