Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

Very good.There are some points that I would like to correct.Your deadeys are stretched unevenly,not in one row.The blocks can be made darker,tinted.The binding of the blocks could have been done differently.The reef rods must pass through the middle of the reef bows.why aren't the masts and yards tinted?Otherwise, it turned out to be a good model.I like your effort.Keep it up.

I now have all of the sails attached. There is still a lot of rigging to do, as well as the flags, anchors, and gun port covers. The build has now gone on for about 15 months with another 2 or 3 months to go. I have ordered the case from Bill Boyd at Houston Display Furniture

http://www.displaycasestands.com/

5/22/2023 I just checked and the above link no longer works - he may no longer be in business.

he does great stuff - this is the case & stand he did for my HMS Victory:
1626488387544.jpeg

Last edited:
Ken - good thought. Following your suggestion, I've sent Max and e-mail via the website and FaceBook. In the meantime, I've glued parts 19 and 20 (2 of each) to parts 12,13, and 23. When this was set I glued it to the hull. Then I discovered that I still needed to glue in part 16. Well, that's just not gonna fit after gluing the previous stuff on. So I sawed 16 into 3 parts and fit it in, glued it and braced it with blocks on each side. It was effective, but not pretty.
View attachment 143828
I wish I had looked at your post before gluing part 16 in,Paul.

I now have all of the sails attached. There is still a lot of rigging to do, as well as the flags, anchors, and gun port covers. The build has now gone on for about 15 months with another 2 or 3 months to go. I have ordered the case from Bill Boyd at Houston Display Furniture

http://www.displaycasestands.com/

he does great stuff - this is the case & stand he did for my HMS Victory:
View attachment 244622
Love watching your build, Paul.

She is a really beautiful ship Paul and you have executed the build brilliantly! If ever I were to build a 60+ cannon-man-o-war, the Soleil Royale would get my vote as subject. She is just so much better looking than anything else of the same era - and the blue and gold color scheme is indeed fitting of the Sun King! Very well done - I cannot wait to see her in the display case.

Paul, congratulations!I just don't understand.And where are the covers of the gun ports on your model?And where are the anchors?Hurry up with the sails.

Paul, congratulations!I just don't understand.And where are the covers of the gun ports on your model?And where are the anchors?Hurry up with the sails.
I plan on doing the gun port covers and anchors last so I won’t accidentally knock them off while working on rigging and sails. Been there, done that.

You are very close to finish her - only some smaller works and the case
I am looking forward to read the magic words: "She is finished!"

Back