Soleil Royal - ZHL 1/90 Scale by Paulb [COMPLETED BUILD]

The rigging is finished!! Finally! I'm now working on attaching the flags (as you can see I've attached the first one on the foremast) that I got from hismodel.com (see the last picture in this post). I've purchased a lot of stuff from him - he never disappoints. On the lower picture you can see the flags that are drying after I've soaked them in GAC 400 - it stiffness natural fabrics and fibers.

IMG_1865.jpegIMG_1866.jpegIMG_1867.jpegIMG_1868.jpegIMG_1869.jpegIMG_1870.jpegIMG_1871.jpegIMG_1873.jpeg

The rigging is finished!! Finally! I'm now working on attaching the flags (as you can see I've attached the first one on the foremast) that I got from hismodel.com (see the last picture in this post). I've purchased a lot of stuff from him - he never disappoints. On the lower picture you can see the flags that are drying after I've soaked them in GAC 400 - it stiffness natural fabrics and fibers.

View attachment 257171View attachment 257172View attachment 257173View attachment 257174View attachment 257175View attachment 257176View attachment 257177View attachment 257178
Hi Paul
Very nice indeed
Good idea to get the flags from HIS; those provided by ZHL are kind of "poor quality".

All of the flags have been installed. I've also finished the stern ornaments and the stern lanterns. The lanterns are 3-D printed that I purchased somewhere on the web and look very nice – much better than the supplied one's. I simulated the glass by using Microscale Micro Kristal Klear. Next up will be the 4 anchors, then the rope coils around the belaying pins.IMG_1876.jpegIMG_1877.jpegIMG_1878.jpeg

All of the flags have been installed. I've also finished the stern ornaments and the stern lanterns. The lanterns are 3-D printed that I purchased somewhere on the web and look very nice – much better than the supplied one's. I simulated the glass by using Microscale Micro Kristal Klear. Next up will be the 4 anchors, then the rope coils around the belaying pins.View attachment 257731View attachment 257732View attachment 257733
Paul, any recommendations on where to get the lanterns?

All of the flags have been installed. I've also finished the stern ornaments and the stern lanterns. The lanterns are 3-D printed that I purchased somewhere on the web and look very nice – much better than the supplied one's. I simulated the glass by using Microscale Micro Kristal Klear. Next up will be the 4 anchors, then the rope coils around the belaying pins.View attachment 257731View attachment 257732View attachment 257733
Hi Paul
Indeed those lanterns are much nicer than those provided by ZHL

I'm currently working on the SR stern gallery. Any hints to make things easier? I'm a little intimidated. I've got the frame work in, now contemplating the best way to do the curvature for the very upper supports.

Paulb,
This is a build I don’t want to miss anything.
I wish you lots of confidence and commitment to embark in a big build like this one.

I am now working on the rope coils that hang from the belaying pins. Following are pictures describing how I make them up.
View attachment 258611View attachment 258612View attachment 258613View attachment 258614View attachment 258616View attachment 258615
Hi Paul
Very nice indeed.

By the way, did you use the blocks that were included in the kit by ZHL or did you use other blocks?
I find the quality of the ZHL blocks rather limited and consider getting those sold by HIS Model.
I'd appreciate your view here.

Hi Paul
Very nice indeed.

By the way, did you use the blocks that were included in the kit by ZHL or did you use other blocks?
I find the quality of the ZHL blocks rather limited and consider getting those sold by HIS Model.
I purchased my blocks from Syren - I too found the ZHL blocks lacking. I'm sure that the blocks from HIS would be very nice.

Hi Paul
Very nice indeed.

Maybe you should consider also the blocks by @Dry-Dock Models & Parts
In my opinion even better quality

Back