Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

I may have asked this question b4, don't remember (senior thing) What is your opinion of the quality of the instructions and model itself... thinking of buying this same.

I may have asked this question b4, don't remember (senior thing) What is your opinion of the quality of the instructions and model itself... thinking of buying this same.
After back tracking, answered my own questions, please disregard... thank you

Mike, when you ordered your Soleil Royale, how did you pay for customs and fees, and how much? Did it come to your door? Thank you, Ken

Mike, when you ordered your Soleil Royale, how did you pay for customs and fees, and how much? Did it come to your door? Thank you, Ken
Hi Ken, all I paid was the shipping fee from ZHL. I believe there still is no customs fee. Your package can randomly be inspected in which the shipper will notify you. It adds time on to your delivery. Yes delivery was to my door, at that time I received it within 10 days from the time I ordered. With things happening now I would guess delivery could be a little longer.

Hi Ken, all I paid was the shipping fee from ZHL. I believe there still is no customs fee. Your package can randomly be inspected in which the shipper will notify you. It adds time on to your delivery. Yes delivery was to my door, at that time I received it within 10 days from the time I ordered. With things happening now I would guess delivery could be a little longer.
Thank you for your response. Really appreciate that. It seems that shipping rate now is $118.50, which is ok. Haven't been able to figure customs, and I kind came up with the same conclusion in reference to customs fees. (hopefully) Watching your build, very nice. Thank you, Ken

Thanks for this last exchange, I ordered mine on Monday and I’m waiting for it to ship.
I'll be VERY careful when it arrives. I will put mine in the garage for two weeks, then wipe down the box with antiseptic cloths. I know that may sound extreme, but I figure you can’t be too careful.

Last edited:
Thanks for this last exchange, I ordered mine on Monday and I’m waiting for it to ship.
Be VERY careful when it arrives. I will put mine in the garage for two weeks, then wipe down the box with antiseptic cloths. I know that may sound extreme, but I figure you can’t be too careful.
So, they are shipping? I went to his facebook site and says maybe in a week or so. Did you have to pay a brokerage fee? If so, how much. I've been all day trying to figure customs and tariffs. What'd you pay for shipping? Thanks, Ken

So, they are shipping? I went to his facebook site and says maybe in a week or so. Did you have to pay a brokerage fee? If so, how much. I've been all day trying to figure customs and tariffs. What'd you pay for shipping? Thanks, Ken
If you could when arrives and finally opened, would you, could you possibly let me know if there is a COMPLETE list of inventory parts. Been trying to email Max at zhl and no response yet.

Thanks Paul. You will like this kit, the materials are very good. My shop is in a 10x12 bedroom and I have enough room to get around while Working on the rigging. My build is straight out of the box except for the rope, I made my own. Any questions give me a shout and I’ll try to help.
Did you make rope with hand tools or a mechanical rope walk? Any photos of rope making?

Did you make rope with hand tools or a mechanical rope walk? Any photos of rope making?
I’m using the Domanoff VR3.1 rope machine. I have some pics of it in post #288. I’m very happy with it, makes very nice rope. I’ll try to post some more pics of the set up. Alexey Domanoff has some videos on YouTube showing set up and making rope. Maarten has a post of this machine modified to work horizontally in his Royal Caroline build log. The web site is www.shipworkshop.com.

Mike, if you don't mind me asking - what finish did you use on your deck?
Hi Heinrich, the deck planks are teak that came with the kit. I used a Pigma Brush archival ink pen to simulate the chalking. The finish is Minwax tung oil. The first coat I put on heavy a let it just soak in, then let it dry over night. The second coat I applied and let sit for around 15 minutes then wiped off excess with a rag. After sitting a few days I gave it a lite rubbing with 0000 steel wool. I am really getting to be a fan of oils.

I just ordered through Aliexpress - the shipping was added to the price $127.37). They still haven't shipped, I ordered it on March 25.

I’ve ordered my SL from ZHL. I seem to recall that you ordered extra blocks. Can you tell me where you purchased them, the numbers and sizes?
Thanks a bunch.
Hi Paul, the blocks from the kit are ok. I thought they were a little large for this scale and to square looking. I bought the blocks from Syren www.syrenshipmodelcompany.com kind of ironic but I won’t go their. The blocks are very nice and reasonably pieced. He also has nice scale rope. The number of blocks is what listed in the parts list

6-6mm triple block
14-6mm double block
28-4mm single block
48-5mm single block
80-6mm single block

There are no blocks provided in the kit to rig the cannons so if you want to rig the cannons you will need blocks for that. I rigged 24 cannons I believe.

Hope you receive your kit soon.

Back