Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike Have you always lived in Ohio. I'm asking because I grew up with a guy named Big Mike and I lost touch with him through the years. He was a really big guy with a heart of gold a Gentle Giant if you will. but don't make him mad he was like a raging bull

Mike,
A question probably too late, but still actual. What kind of glue did you use for the teak deck planking? I had a bad experience with teak a while ago, PVA and Superglue were both unuseable with it.
Janos

Mike,
A question probably too late, but still actual. What kind of glue did you use for the teak deck planking? I had a bad experience with teak a while ago, PVA and Superglue were both unuseable with it.
Janos
G'day @janos
I might be old fashion in the way I do things, but I always use contact adhesive a little bit at the time, to adheae decking to ply. As the old fly spray commercial said 'when you are on a good thing, stick to it!' Thank you John Laws.
Greg

Mike Have you always lived in Ohio. I'm asking because I grew up with a guy named Big Mike and I lost touch with him through the years. He was a really big guy with a heart of gold a Gentle Giant if you will. but don't make him mad he was like a raging bull
Yes I was born in Akron then moved to Canton after I got married in 1980. I do know of an other guy named Big Mike in Canton and he is a Big guy, probably mid to late 50's. Me not so much a big guy, just got nicknamed that at my job.

Mike,
Janos
Hi Janos. I used yellow wood glue on the deck and had no problems with it, layer down nicely. The beech plank stops used on the walls by the door ways was curling up on the ends with the wood glue so I had to use Ca. Thanks for stopping in.

Hi Greg. Do you apply contact cement to both deck and plank? The inside of the bulwarks are planked with the beech. I don't like using Ca to much, it's hard to sand off.

I use Titebond 3 on all planking Unless I have a hull plank refusing to stay put then I'll put a drop of CA on it I used to use CA on all the hull planks but I found that when it penetrates the wood on a ships planks you intend to stain its not so good, the stain gets Blotchy because it can no longer penetrate the wood fibers. Titebond 3 sands off nicely, but I rarely have any excess squeeze out I lay on just enough to wet the plank then wipe any excess away. I get a good bond that's Fast to tack up that way and no excess all over the place

Unless I have a hull plank refusing to stay put then I'll put a drop of CA on it I used to use CA on all the hull planks but I found that when it penetrates the wood on a ships planks you intend to stain its not so good, the stain gets Blotchy because it can no longer penetrate the wood fibers
G'day
I always use contact adhesive, as the term in Australia, it could also be contact cement. It is not ca (Cyanoacrylate) or superglue as the common name in Australia.
If you use just enough contact adhesive on both the decking and ply, these isn't much excess. There are many things that I like using this glue like:
• It sticks straight away.anf is very easy to align if you put a small piece if architectural drawing paper between the two pieces and gradually move the paper away.
• When sanding the excess dust from the sanding sticks to the contact adhesive, so there are no gaps between the planks.
• The glue does not stain the timber, so stain, oil or varnish has no problems penetrating the timber.
Happymodeling
Greg

I tried the contact cement in the past, I have shaky hands, beginning stages of Parkinson, so I had troubles as you might expect. if I didn't place it perfect the first time there was no second chance lol the Titebond allows me to slide the planking around a little is I misplace it. This is what I love about this hobby everyone has there own way of doing things and you never know when you'll find a new best way to do things yourself. The first ship I built was the San Mateo I was in over my head for sure but I managed to get that ship built. I used CA for the whole ship lol Clinker planked that puppy because I didn't understand how to do it right. I soaked that wood for a whole day and bent the living crap out of it to make it fit, at that point there was still so much tension that CA was the only thing that was gonna hold. lol

I too usually use Titebond or Elmers wood glue. I'm worried how the beech planks were curling up on the edges when I layed them down. I may give contact adhesive a try. Your right about so many ways of doing things, just have to be open minded. Great group here. It sure sucks getting old, hope that Parkinson's is slow progressing for you. That is one nasty disease. Hang in there brother.

go to the craft store or home depot and get one of the rollers for wallpaper seams and roll the planks down. I use this one below from amazon, but there are cheaper wood ones. I prefer the metal because its easier to clean glue off of and you can warm it up to help the glue set faster. This is why my deck and second planking lays so perfectly flat and smooth. When done I barely have to sand it.
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Wa...d=1537492407&sr=8-9&keywords=wallpaper+roller

This is a nice model, but did we ever get an answer as to why these kits have the same plans as other manufacturers?

Back