Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Great progress again m8. Keep on going! Ik have to wait with this kit. I received a 20 kilo heavy box today with the soeverein of the seas in it. So first finishing the San felipe and then start the soeverein. Building goes slow after heart attack and docter things in need a couple of months to get back in my good energy. Your going to make a beauty of this ship m8.

hi mike have 2 boxes of them. are they easy o take apart and resemble them ? im just warching your build log a n just got my kit.i have lo of questions about my build. hope you don't me asking questions about your build. have done 3 builds before this one and they came out just ok. can't seem to get the first planking right. any help you an offer me will help. hope you are still working on you model and would like to see more of your build. thanks in advance for your help terry
Hi Terry, the clamps are fairly easy to assemble. Glad you got your kit, I'll be glad to help you out as much as I can. Don't rely on the instructions, they are confusing. The pictures help, but if you plan ahead you'll be fine. I'm a slow builder so I'll be working on this build for some time. Daves has a great thread on planking in the scratch build section. My planking turned out ok but it's not quite correct. Hope to see you start a build log soon.

Great progress again m8. Keep on going! Ik have to wait with this kit. I received a 20 kilo heavy box today with the soeverein of the seas in it. So first finishing the San felipe and then start the soeverein. Building goes slow after heart attack and docter things in need a couple of months to get back in my good energy. Your going to make a beauty of this ship m8.
Thanks Pat. The Soeverein will be a fantastic build, can't wait to see her started. Fisrt thing is to get your self better. Don't get discouraged, it takes time. I had open heart surgery (quad bypass) 5 years ago and it took me a few years to start felling totally normal. Listen to your Dr. and you will get better.

Well I finally started the Soleil build, and boy did it feel good to be in the shop after a crazy summer.
I got got the keel glued together and bulk heads cut out.

View attachment 52187View attachment 52188View attachment 52189View attachment 52190View attachment 52191

Dry fit the bulk heads and lower deck. With a little sanding they all fit well.
I did have a problem with the number 1 bulk head, it delaminated down one side. I glued it back together and clamped it up, should fix it right back up.
I think I'm going to enjoy this kit.
hi mike, just wanted to know how you made your board to hold your ship or did you buy it? thanks terry

hi mike, just wanted to know how you made your board to hold your ship or did you buy it? thanks terry
Hi Terry, it's an old Fair a Frame that I bought many years ago. I bought it from Modelexpo, I believe they still sell it. It worked ok I had it already but if I were buying something today I would get a ship modeler's vice. MicroMark sells a nice one.

Well here is a few pics to see where I'm at on my build. Quarter deck is installed and rail is on with some bits on the deck. Most decorations are on the stern. Man this thing is heavy in the booty. ;) Working my way to the head. This looks like a good place for brake for a few days to work on my Blandford build.

IMG_0120.jpgIMG_0122.jpgIMG_0121.jpgIMG_0123.jpgIMG_0124.jpg

Nothing can bring attention as the appearance of the entire ship (as the whole). A very neet made stern and pronouncing contrast between deck planking and gratings! Bravo! Bring more of those photos, Mike!

Thanks Jim, the breeching rope is their. The rope goes through the carriage. It was common for French ships of that time, the rope didn't come around the cascabel. I seen this on a post from Mr. Delacroix on another site. He posted this amazing picture.
View attachment 76073
Yes, you are right. The Continental guns were rigged as on the picture. Going under is correct, as well as the two Drawback blocks and rign. The British had ONLY one in the Center

Hi everyone! I finished my Blandford build and took the cover off Soleil Royal. I have been doing some work on it through the summer and fall. Sorry for such along delay on update.
I finished the rails and deck bits and most of the bow.

2DCC546A-62EA-4400-8749-07F39BF4DB0F.jpegC86B8DCB-993C-418C-9D88-D9234BF71C4C.jpeg7B827773-9C14-409B-80C5-F798A33B530F.jpeg

Next it was guns guns and more guns....

A48129D4-39E7-48BA-86D8-1A56BCC79BDF.jpeg

574D9252-22DA-4291-9B10-5EF0087C9D90.jpeg

009C67BC-329B-4A0A-AB66-4344B6030F5C.jpeg

0E5B3CCD-EC8C-498E-9DF9-12D796FAD0F1.jpeg

C87A01B5-ADC5-4185-94B9-8829FCC39A07.jpeg

B75B71DB-BCF3-42CC-A1F3-454CA53BFFC8.jpeg

C18CE6C2-1C1E-4E79-BACC-157E5A8C62E0.jpeg

87A3C69C-1F3E-4458-A344-F8F82A2E646A.jpeg

Hope to keep log updated, more to come soon.

Back