Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well I started some rigging. Looking at the rigging plan I was somewhat overwhelmed. Started with the lower fore stays and the lower main stay.
The rope machine works well, getting nice rope for first time using it. I turned stay mouse from some wood dowel and painted it black. I tried wrapping it but it look bad.
First time serving lines and it turned out pretty good. So far things are going good, actually I’m really enjoying this. I figure one line, one block at time and keep looking ahead and we’ll get done.
I do have a question, the Plan shows multiple lines attached to one belying pin. Is this correct? Seems to me only one line would attach to one pin, but what do I know. Thanks

ADF2F48D-2C55-4D94-889B-4E95E001AC4E.jpeg52526D93-8787-4AD4-B3E7-4B37927AEEC8.jpeg51F88473-A2FA-4E7F-9EF9-DFFAC8FEE5B4.jpegD79B9E12-AE8D-4F1B-ACE4-C3116062A968.jpeg2AAC6B33-E303-4870-9BC5-B8ABB4BAFFB8.jpeg

Very nice work Mike.

Regarding the belaying point,obviously we are into an area where there is lack of information as to the set up on the real ship.Some artistic license has been used by the kit maker.I suspect that some of the running rigging from the bowsprit may have travelled through sheaves set into the vertical timbers of the rail at the bow end of the foredeck.This is merely speculation on my part though without historical evidence available.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi dagarmorph and welcome to the forum. This has been a nice kit to build, Im sure you will enjoy it. Give a shout if you have questions and I’ll try to to help out. Hope you start a build log on it, there are a lot of people willing to help out.

Hi dagarmorph and welcome to the forum. This has been a nice kit to build, Im sure you will enjoy it. Give a shout if you have questions and I’ll try to to help out. Hope you start a build log on it, there are a lot of people willing to help out.

awesome thank you. Your build looks amazing... very tidy! Im sure i will be asking a few questions! I found the last zhl instructions to be vauge and hard to follow at times. Much appreciated!

I have finished the standing rigging, it went pretty well I’m happy with it but I have much room for improvement.
Next on to the running rigging. I have started gathering up the materials to make the yards. Im a little concerned on this part of the rigging as I have a big belly hence my screen name, Hope it doesn’t get in the way a break somethingROTF

449E265D-7209-4997-96FD-BAAD9B805460.jpegC95B169C-4FE3-4CE8-8DD9-2258C596C31B.jpeg88667BE2-C10C-4504-B287-798D84179069.jpeg9E1D306E-8159-4942-932E-2F9447C9902E.jpegA0F5FE01-5DA6-4B63-84DE-151934829F77.jpeg1446E0A9-ED69-4084-8952-96E997D16D8C.jpeg

Beside your standing rigging looks very good, you also have a nice workbench (shipyard) . Among others, one of the coolest tools I have spotted, is an old Dentists rotary machine...:cool: It must be collectable...

Thanks for the compliment Jim. I picked up the drill about 15 years ago on eBay. Cleaned it up and it works great. I started doing some relief carving back then, hope to start again now that I have more time. It’s a great tool for detail work.

Hi Mike. Your Soleil looks big, menacing and VERY impressive. I love the finishing colour of your decks. The weathering is subtle - so often it is just overbearing, too dark and unrealistic - but here it is just perfect.
Kind regards - Heinrich

Hi Mike. Your Soleil looks big, menacing and VERY impressive. I love the finishing colour of your decks. The weathering is subtle - so often it is just overbearing, too dark and unrealistic - but here it is just perfect.
Kind regards - Heinrich
Thank you Heinrich for the kind words.

Mike,
I love your build and you have inspired me - I ordered mine last night. At 40 inches in length it's large but will still fit in my workspace and I have space to display it. Keep up the great work!!
Thanks Paul. You will like this kit, the materials are very good. My shop is in a 10x12 bedroom and I have enough room to get around while Working on the rigging. My build is straight out of the box except for the rope, I made my own. Any questions give me a shout and I’ll try to help.

Back