Soleil Royal ZHL kit 1:90 Scale [COMPLETED BUILD]

Mike,
Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. Yes I will rig the visible cannons - so that will mean 2 single and 2 double for each cannon. I think I will order the blocks from Syren also.
Regards,
Paul

Mike, I'm getting ready to order this kit hopefully in the next few weeks. Did yours come with a COMPLETE inventory list? or just a running parts type thing.? In zhl homepage they said they'd replace any missing pieces with in 3 months of order........I don't know about anyone else, But I don't think I can complete a model like this in 3 months. I just finished an AL Santa ana and the parts were all over the place..... Same with a Mamoli victory working on now. Thank you for your time and patience..... your model looks great and gave me the incentive to order same,,,,,, Ken

Mike, I'm getting ready to order this kit hopefully in the next few weeks. Did yours come with a COMPLETE inventory list? or just a running parts type thing.? In zhl homepage they said they'd replace any missing pieces with in 3 months of order........I don't know about anyone else, But I don't think I can complete a model like this in 3 months. I just finished an AL Santa ana and the parts were all over the place..... Same with a Mamoli victory working on now. Thank you for your time and patience..... your model looks great and gave me the incentive to order same,,,,,, Ken
Yes Ken there is a complete parts list. You will receive a CD that has all the English instructions. I had no problem with missing parts. Be prepared to spend the better part of the day going through everything, there’s a lot of parts. Here is a few pics.

E54CCC64-DB31-43B5-97A5-413FF1F94393.jpeg
668EE88D-80C6-4E72-81C0-61D9DAD70D7D.jpeg19A0D25E-1D2D-4F60-B2B0-ADC5CA4A78E1.jpeg

Hope this helps, stay safe!

Perfect, perfect perfect.... That is exactly what I'm looking for. You'd be surprised how many kits don't have something like this. They just do a "running" type of inventory list and expect everything to be there. I would rather do a "one time" inventory and get it over with. Thank you.

Mike,
I have a posted question about the scale of the ZHL SL:

So I think the scale of the kit is more like 1/60 rather than 1/90.

What are your thoughts on this? Can you tell me if any of the items in the kit seem out of scale?

Thanks a bunch.

Mike,
I have a posted question about the scale of the ZHL SL:

So I think the scale of the kit is more like 1/60 rather than 1/90.

What are your thoughts on this? Can you tell me if any of the items in the kit seem out of scale?

Thanks a bunch.
Hi Paul, I just saw your other post. When I completed the hull I was thinking my gosh this thing is huge for 1:90 scale. I measured the model as it sits now and put the gun deck to be around 28”. The length from bow sprit to the stern is 39”.That puts it at about 990mm. As far as looking out of scale everything looks to be reasonably to scale. The cannons on the quarter deck seem slightly long but seem to fit the carriage well. I knew the kit was far from historically accurate but didn’t realize the scale was that far off. As far as the build, I’m happy with it and the model seems to look proportional.

@BigMike Hi Mike. It certainly looks beautifully in proportion. @paulb Paul, I really don't think you have to sleepless nights about the ZHL kit. Sure, it is probably not perfect or historically 100%, but then, I don't think any kit is. What I do know about ZHL and CAF (Tridents is still an unknown entity to me), are that both are extremely high-quality and comprehensive kits. My only concern would be buying the model from anyone else than either Max (ZHL) or Tom (CAF). That way you get complete after-sales service and know you have the real deal. @BigMike Mike, sorry for your hijacking your post.

Thanks for the help everyone! I will keep the order. There are way more important things going on in the world now than wood ship model scale. Having said that - I'm really grateful for this hobby - It's nice to pass the time and also have something great to show for it. It also keeps my mind busy.

hi mike just wondering what the total cost was to send it to canton? did this include shipping costs? thanks terry

hi mike just wondering what the total cost was to send it to canton? did this include shipping costs? thanks terry
Hi Terry, I got this kit in July of 2017 from Max’s eBay site for $425. Shipping was $95 to my door. I think I could have paid $399 if I ordered direct from ZHL web site. There were no other fees tax, so all in was $520.

I am not convinced that there are a great deal of historical inaccuracies in either this or any other model kit of this ship, although I believe that it is not the original of the ships named Le Soleil Royal. I own a book published in France named "Les Vasseaux du Louis IX" The drawings found therein show Many French First Rates that look remarkably similar in detail and proportion.

That said, you are doing a great job!

Bill

Hi Terry, I got this kit in July of 2017 from Max’s eBay site for $425. Shipping was $95 to my door. I think I could have paid $399 if I ordered direct from ZHL web site. There were no other fees tax, so all in was $520.
I checked a couple days ago, shipping from zhl is $118.50 other charges beyond that, I don't know..... did get a response from Max at zhl that a 15% "brokerage" fee may be added, don't know at this point. I am thinking about ordering same on the 15th of this month when zhl is accepting new orders. Brokerage fees seem to be added charges by delivery people. I'd keep checking ebay.

Well the end is in site. I finished up the rigging, now working on anchors. Next time I think I will put on the hanks as I go, waiting until the end was tuff going trying to get those little rope coils on the pins with all the lines in the way.
Going to try making anchor cable in the next few days and get this baby done. Thanks for following along.D2B3B596-C38D-4C6B-B760-730EB3E619C5.jpeg3F46466A-C3F5-4F65-86F5-BF42A2E71A21.jpeg8266BA55-9D60-4DE8-A6C5-353DB0B57FD2.jpegD6022058-A56F-4513-9F2B-FB7D194F1CE6.jpegDBF76292-5E3B-4DF4-AEA8-AEA6781C07CF.jpeg18A9025A-2E10-4FDA-9F2E-B43FFD0A5E8F.jpegE40802D7-857B-417A-963A-453EEDC51BEF.jpeg868E9DE6-7B35-4E1F-9219-644ED24F9E54.jpeg7BE47AF9-FC43-4C58-AAB9-6535012A20AC.jpeg

Back