Something new in my shipyard

Jimsky

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

Greetings folks. Last week I have a new tool\toy in my shop. It is a W1667 8-1/2-Inch Bench-Top Oscillating Drill Press made by Shop Fox. Honestly, I am not a big fan of "two in one" devices, but for this one, I made an exception. This bench-top oscillating drill press is a compact machine that can conveniently serve as either a drill press or an oscillating sander and is capable of a wide variety of drilling and sanding operations.

1648517040179.png 1648517170284.png

Here are the specs:
  • Motor: 1/2 HP, 110V, 1,725 RPM
  • Overall height: 23"
  • Spindle travel: 1-5/8"
  • Drill chuck: 1/2"
  • Dust port size: 2-1/4"
  • 5 Speeds: 620-3,100 RPM
  • Swing: 8-1/2"
  • Table: 7" x 7" square
  • Table swing: 360°
  • Table tilts: 90°
  • Approx. shipping weight: 54 lbs

Oscillating Spindle and Dust Port​

This drill press features a precision-ground sanding spindle that can be used with sanding drums between 1 and 2 inches in diameter and up to 4-1/4 inches long. The spindle oscillates, resulting in a better finish and longer-lasting abrasives. The machine is also equipped with a 2-1/4-inch dust port that can be connected to a dust collection system to help keep your workshop clean.

600_2894.jpg 600_2895.jpg

Easy to change desired speed.

600_2891.jpg

Table tilts 90-degrees​

A 7 inches x 7 inches square tilting table allows you to sand surfaces at different angles, while table inserts provide extra support for your workpiece.

600_2893.jpg 1648517803452.png

For this particular model sanding drums are an optional purchase. However, the drill press comes with a spindle to fit all drums. Drums are rubber and come with an 80 grit sandpaper drum (one for each of three sizes).
The drill press has a new home (my home), The drill press vise (blue) is a separate purchase
'600_2890.jpg

The first use impression is very good, It is not loud (for an apartment). It is well made without viable flaws. It feels like a very good product (if you understand what I mean). Changing the speed is very simple: just move the belt to the desired pulley. The speed chart is printed on the cover for easy access. Converting the drill-pres into a sanding machine is just a matter to add another belt (supplying). Here is my machine in action:

I am very happy with this tool addition. It opens many other possibilities aitionally drill press can offer.

Looking good - and really an alternative to the spindle sander.
I am happy, that mine (Jet) is relatively silent, but I know, that some other spindle saners are extremely loud ......

What am I missing here? I did a search for this machine with same specs and prices vary widely ie 250 to 350 or so. and then there was this outlier for the exact same machine for $89. Doesn't say it's refurbished but also doesn't say its on a slow boat from China. This would seem to be a terrific addition to my large scale drill and spindle sanders for small parts. Thing its worth taking a chance on it?

Dockattner, If that’s all you did to your teachers in high school ……. Ya let them off real easy. I got my high school diploma and told not to comeback ( l thought that was kinda rude ) …. For reasons I can’t put into print, my Dad is a member of this site as well.

regardless of cost for a tool, if you need it once, chances are you will need it again. In this hobby, l really don’t see any power tool being over worked.

What am I missing here? I did a search for this machine with same specs and prices vary widely ie 250 to 350 or so. and then there was this outlier for the exact same machine for $89. Doesn't say it's refurbished but also doesn't say its on a slow boat from China. This would seem to be a terrific addition to my large scale drill and spindle sanders for small parts. Thing its worth taking a chance on it?
I definitely wouldn't try buying for $89.00 it sounds too good to be true. I bought mine few weeks back on Amazon, today it is $400.00 I'd say $250.00 is reasonable price, I woudn't buy it for $400.00

1648928370536.png

I definitely wouldn't try buying for $89.00 it sounds too good to be true. I bought mine few weeks back on Amazon, today it is $400.00 I'd say $250.00 is reasonable price, I woudn't buy it for $400.00

View attachment 300394
You post one purchase and now its trending Jim! You moved the market all by yourself! POWER!

You post one purchase and now its trending Jim! You moved the market all by yourself! POWER!
I think so...:p but... after we introduce the Alert kit, and suggested the AOTS book to accompany the build, the price for this book skyrocketed to $500.00 at some stores and eBay. Still, you can find it for less than 100 bucks...if you get lucky.

I've also got a new 'toy', it's a Bosch Green Easy Curve Sander, in their All12v range. It has three 38mm dia. sanding pads which makes it ideal for sanding hulls, due to it's compact size. Two pads can be removed leaving a single pad sander. Polishing pads also supplied.

I've also got a new 'toy', it's a Bosch Green Easy Curve Sander, in their All12v range. It has three 38mm dia. sanding pads which makes it ideal for sanding hulls, due to it's compact size. Two pads can be removed leaving a single pad sander. Polishing pads also supplied.
you mean this one, correct?

1648992025790.png 1648992064730.png

Please let us know your feedback once you will use it...
Hey Jim, sure will. I just rgged up a vacuum for extraction so that I can use it indoors. But have been distracted with work on my Le Superbe (Mantua). I decided after a LOT of cursing, to give up on the -rappy 1mm etched ply stern galleries & construct my own from 1.5 pear, walnut strip, 1mm brass wire & purchased walnut balustrade columns. On top of all that I've just spent a whole day + a bit resetting my pc which had an attack of the Gremlins with a Windows crash. Luckally I lost none of my bookmarks etc. & a disappearing taskbar. One good outcome is that Google, which has been peeing me off for a while, seems to be working fine.
Stuart

Back