Somewhere 1950's

Here is a post-war Liberty ship now back in civilian work somewhere around the Greek Islands. The model is 8 inches long and started as a Liberty ship kit modified into civilian life. Fully rigged and photo-etched railings etc. The diorama is built up from layers and cut to form the cliffs, a light coat of poly filler then added followed by successive coats of paint and wash for the desired colours. The base is about 10 X 10 inchesPost ww2 liberty 4.JPGPost ww2 liberty 2.JPGPost ww2 liberty 3.JPG

yes I agree Uwek but if you look at the model at desk level sighting front to back you have depth of field, its a hard one as the need to keep it all in a small area, I did look at increasing the size but space availability took over. I will try better next time. Just had a thought there is a deep channel there hmmmm

Uwek

Administrative
Staff member
Administrative

My comment was no critical, more like a small joke - The idea is very good, also the execution.
I was living several years in Croatia at the dalmatian coast - here are several entrances to island harbors, where the captains have to sail very close to the shore.

your judgment was the correct one Uwe and it's a hard call really originally the base was smaller but didn't look so good. I had read somewhere that it's difficult to create depth if you calculate the scale it's about 4.9 Km from the shore, I actually think maybe the cliffs are too high thus giving it less depth.
anyway, it's a great discussion topic, what do you think?

You are right Uwe love the images wish I was there but has given me some more idea's for further models. I note that seems to be very deep water. Oh well, it's back to the bench today and on with another model.