For sale Sovereign of the Seas, = Carta Augusto Royal Sovereign

Ken

I am selling my Carta Augusto kit of the Royal Sovereign, 1100mm length. This is a very high end kit from the 70s. It is complete and un started, it is in excellent condition. It comes with pre made sails and a new set of Amati plans. The original set of plans are superb and were drawn up with a full scratch build ability, I bought the Amati scratch build plans as for a project like this you can't have enough reference. The plans are so very similar it's as if Amati did a straight photo copy of large sections, I prefer the Augusto plans. There are at a guess over 200 metal castings beautifully done, you could use them as jewellery. A few of the packets have been opened to photograph the castings for a discussion on the merits from different version of S.O.S. some time ago on this site, these were considered the best. They are re sealed and complete. The cannons are machined brass and the carriages are pre made walnut. Their is a full array of flags and plenty of cord and blocks. Some parts need to be fretted out from the ply sheets, it should be considered for experienced builders only, it is now a very rare kit, I doubt if there are any more around.
I would be looking for £325 for it

This is for the UK only, insured delivery would cost around £12.50
I live in the northwest, collection welcome

01.jpg02.jpg03.jpg04.jpg05.jpg06.jpg07.jpg08.jpg09.jpg

_M0W2710.JPG

Last edited:
Yes I know how you feel, it’s that kind of kit, it sets the imagination going. I just have too many kits and could never do them all in my lifetime. When I saw this one some years ago I just had to have it although at the time I wasn’t experienced enough to build it, but it was fun just getting it out to look at. I don’t see how it could improve on yours though, I get that one out from time to time and drool over it.

Yes I know how you feel, it’s that kind of kit, it sets the imagination going. I just have too many kits and could never do them all in my lifetime. When I saw this one some years ago I just had to have it although at the time I wasn’t experienced enough to build it, but it was fun just getting it out to look at. I don’t see how it could improve on yours though, I get that one out from time to time and drool over it.
It's still a fine set of parts and plans to begin with. I have the Amati plans for reference also. It's good to have more than one interpretation of a ship model if they are available.

Reactions: Ken
I've just found the picture that I took of some of the castings from this Sovereign kit that I'm selling.

_M0W2710.JPG

Very nice those old vintage kits!
I have the same kit ;) mine is from 1968 so the box is falling apart a bit, the wood is still in good condition, I'm only missing the keel.

I'm thinking about building this one soon.

Last edited:
Back