Sovereign of the Seas-Deagostini Partwork-1/84 TOTALLY Reworked

NMBROOK

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hello Everyone

Firstly,a few of the longer standing members will remember this log before the crash.Unfortuneately my images were lost when my laptop harddrive fried so I was unable to repair the log.
I am going to attempt to present a sequence of pictures that show the best I can,the progress on the model albeit with a few gaps as some images no longer exist.The model was started in late 2012 and it has been sat on the shelf since 2014 when I moved house and lost my workshop.I didn't take pictures of the initial hull construction which followed the partwork to a point I realised this quite wasn't what I wanted to achieve,the model was too far away from what my research shows.
Basing my model of the works by Van de Velde the Elder with the help of Hiendric Busmann's book,the hull shape,gun port positions and deck shear were all modified.The topside framing was all removed with a rotary tool and the hull walls strengthened with lime.The insides were profiled were contoured by sanding and carving with the intention of replicating a good portion of the interior.
Timbers used consist of Boxwood for the upper planking and81379813808138181382813838138481385813868138781388 many details,maple below the main wales,Ebony and also dyed marquetry veneer for the red and black areas.All carvings are of swiss pear.
Essentially the only thing now remaining from the partwork is the bottom three inches of the skeleton,everything else so far is fully scratchbuilt.I intend to recommence work on this build in the summer as I am moving house again in the next couple of months and will regain a large workshop.
It will take me a little time to post the 130plus images I have managed to salvage.

Kind Regards

Nigel81383813808138181382813838138481385813868138781388

Thanks Brian and thanks Zoltan.Zoltan I intend to give it a go when I post work in real time.To try and replicate all the descriptions of the work carried out would be daunting and a bit disjointed as so many images have been lost,one of my logs of this build was over 40 pages before I suspended work on her.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I do feel it necessary to mention about all the boxwood square sections protruding upwards.At the time I gave a lot of thought to the rails running around the top of the deck.The period this vessel as built,belaying pin racks had not been invented.All the running rigging was tied off to these rails.These rails need to be strong on the model.Rather than affixing uprights just to the top of the hull walls,I rebated these into the top of the hull by a good 20mm and glued them with epoxy.The subsequent horizontal pieces had squares cut out to match and slid over the top.This resulted in an extremely strong assembly.The uprights were overlong to allow more accurate alignment and trimmed to height later on as you will see in the pictures in the future posts

Kind Regards

Nigel814298143081431814328143381434

Now comes my first attempt at carving.In view of the massive amount of sculptures on this vessel,I thought it better to try and produce carvings as the build progressed in an attempt to try and reduce the monotony.With a little help from my friend Janos and masses of inspiration from my friend Bill Short's build I gave it a go.
There is a sculpture that surrounds the hawse holes for the anchors.I used a little artistic license as these are unclear in the Van de Velde artwork.All work was done with a rotary tool and scalpel.814358143681437814388143981440814418144281443

Kind Regards

Nigel

Hi Brian
Yes boxwood.The black areas are veneer strip that is 0.6mm thick predyed black and comes in various widths from around 2 to 6mm (off the top of my head).It is from a company in the UK called original marquetry.I also get my boxwood ,available as a veneer,section or boards and ebony from them.
Regards

Nigel

Back