Sovereign of the Seas Sergal 1:78 by Terry

Hi Terry,
Thank you for posting this Log. There are several others here on the forum building this ship. I am sure that some will be glad to help. The hull planking and wales looks pretty good. I will follow this from time to time to see how you are progressing.

I'm building this same kit--1980s vintage Mantua Sergal SoS and I'm just a little bit farther along than you. This is my eighth build and the biggest challenge so far--largely due to poor quality plans and materials. Also, most of the build logs are of newer versions of the kit which have a lot more precut parts. Whatever you do, don't follow the work order in the booklet that comes with the kit. Happy to share thoughts on challenges as they come up

a.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

I'm building this same kit--1980s vintage Mantua Sergal SoS and I'm just a little bit farther along than you. This is my eighth build and the biggest challenge so far--largely due to poor quality plans and materials. Also, most of the build logs are of newer versions of the kit which have a lot more precut parts. Whatever you do, don't follow the work order in the booklet that comes with the kit. Happy to share thoughts on challenges as they come up

View attachment 359423

View attachment 359425

View attachment 359426
Thomas, WOW. If I could get mine to look even half as good as yours, I'd be happy.
Without a template, I'm struggling with the ports which should have been squared up long ago. I see you haven't gone for the off-set bowsprit. I don't think I want to do it either. Regards, Terry

Hi Terry--

Thanks! Yes the gunports are an issue--the internal frames don't line up correctly (neither did the decks) so a lot of adjustment was required. As far as the gunports, the second layer of planking should give you the opportunity to line up and square everything off. I'd make the ports a little smaller than needed so you can file them to line them up just right.

As far as the offset bowsprit, that's one more example of an issue with the kit--it specifically calls for you to centre it so I did, even though it's not technically correct.

Good luck!

Hello Terry,
and Thomas....

Nice to see other Sovereign logs being posted. I will also follow along. I have been slowly for the last two years + working on this kit as well. You will probably finish yours before I start working on the masts.haha...

I was luckily able to source a vintage kit (like yours) from a member over at MSW, as well as acquiring, by coincidence, a current kit as a gift.
Please reach out if your need some advice of any kind. Good luck.....

Regards,

Hello Terry,
and Thomas....

Nice to see other Sovereign logs being posted. I will also follow along. I have been slowly for the last two years + working on this kit as well. You will probably finish yours before I start working on the masts.haha...

I was luckily able to source a vintage kit (like yours) from a member over at MSW, as well as acquiring, by coincidence, a current kit as a gift.
Please reach out if your need some advice of any kind. Good luck.....

Regards,
Hi John,
Your SOtS build was the first build I looked at on this or any other site. I was hooked and marveled at your dedication to detail and your skill level. It put wind in my sails that had laid dormant for forty years. It's kind of intimidating to converse with so many of you that have created such beautiful works. Thanks to Donnie, I am back on the water and determined to build something respectable, even if it isn't perfect. So yes, I'll listen to any and all advice... I'm still unpacking, but at least I now have a place where I have room to work. I have all the pieces and the only damage is the deterioration of the rubber bands holding the wood bundles together. I live in Arkansas and still need to get set up with a good Stateside supplier. I like the idea of using black and white Hornbeam throughout, but what do I know? Sorry for unloading on you like that. I don't know about luck, but I'll take prayers anyday. Thanks, Terry.

Hi Terry--

Thanks! Yes the gunports are an issue--the internal frames don't line up correctly (neither did the decks) so a lot of adjustment was required. As far as the gunports, the second layer of planking should give you the opportunity to line up and square everything off. I'd make the ports a little smaller than needed so you can file them to line them up just right.

As far as the offset bowsprit, that's one more example of an issue with the kit--it specifically calls for you to centre it so I did, even though it's not technically correct.

Good luck!
Hi Thomas,
Thank you for your support and advice. Yes, the kit seems to have quite a few flaws.... oh well. I'll change what I can, but I'm going to build it to my liking. However, I'm always open to suggestions and/or criticism... no better way to learn. :)

Hi John,
Your SOtS build was the first build I looked at on this or any other site. I was hooked and marveled at your dedication to detail and your skill level. It put wind in my sails that had laid dormant for forty years. It's kind of intimidating to converse with so many of you that have created such beautiful works. Thanks to Donnie, I am back on the water and determined to build something respectable, even if it isn't perfect. So yes, I'll listen to any and all advice... I'm still unpacking, but at least I now have a place where I have room to work. I have all the pieces and the only damage is the deterioration of the rubber bands holding the wood bundles together. I live in Arkansas and still need to get set up with a good Stateside supplier. I like the idea of using black and white Hornbeam throughout, but what do I know? Sorry for unloading on you like that. I don't know about luck, but I'll take prayers anyday. Thanks, Terry.
Terry,
Wow - thanks so much -SO glad that my log was also a helpful catalyst for your decision on venturing back to sea. Wise indeed.
This hobby is a wonderful time consuming, intelectual, and learning experience for so many of us. Your vintage Sovereign will benefit (as I've vented too often in my log) from the 600+ solid bronze decorative metal bits that are now excluded in current Sergal product. When you get there I will be happy to share how to add the "brightness" back to these antique pieces, and how they can stay shiny more permanently :). If those are your intentions....

And never be intimidated - I have asked for and gotten such sage advice from expert builders in this hobby, I've also - thankfully - gotten constructive criticism posted in some of my logs (the SofS is my third build). Though the best way to ask for advice is to post questions within your log asking for specific help with an issue that you are facing at the time......Glad that only rubber bands were damages haha,,

Cheers,

Terry,
Wow - thanks so much -SO glad that my log was also a helpful catalyst for your decision on venturing back to sea. Wise indeed.
This hobby is a wonderful time consuming, intelectual, and learning experience for so many of us. Your vintage Sovereign will benefit (as I've vented too often in my log) from the 600+ solid bronze decorative metal bits that are now excluded in current Sergal product. When you get there I will be happy to share how to add the "brightness" back to these antique pieces, and how they can stay shiny more permanently :). If those are your intentions....

And never be intimidated - I have asked for and gotten such sage advice from expert builders in this hobby, I've also - thankfully - gotten constructive criticism posted in some of my logs (the SofS is my third build). Though the best way to ask for advice is to post questions within your log asking for specific help with an issue that you are facing at the time......Glad that only rubber bands were damages haha,,

Cheers,
John,
It may take a while, but I'm not going to give up. Thanks for offering to help. I do have a quick question though: If the ship had a complement of 700 officers and crew, how did they get by with only four pots in the head? It may sound silly, but the numbers suggest a different arrangement. :cool: Regards, Terry

Adjusting gun port locations is a frequent problem. After cutting the gun ports out, the decks heights were carefully measured and adjust according to the existing gun port heights on my current build, and still a couple gun ports required repositioning. The one below was moved downward 2mm, and the top sill was shimmed and re-sanded flush with the hull. Where you don't want to make mistakes and adjustments is on the final planking. You can't hide a patch or repair on that so easily, because you may have to pry off an entire plank and remake it.
232 Reposition Two Gun Ports and Deck Line Lower.jpg

Terry,

Haha --- You got me interested in this trivial, but very important question, historical question - So, I visited Google University and found this.

Thank you, John,
You're right. It is trivial, but when I think of the beakhead bulkhead having only one door and a steep ladder on the SOtS, It makes me wonder if there might be another door beneath it with direct access to the Seats of Ease which is not shown in sketches or paintings. Even dumping chamber pots could be tricky. Anyway, I'm glad you found that source. I'm going to order the book "The Vulger Tubes" by Joe Simmons. I think it'll be an interesting read. Hope you have a great day. Terry

Hi
Adjusting gun port locations is a frequent problem. After cutting the gun ports out, the decks heights were carefully measured and adjust according to the existing gun port heights on my current build, and still a couple gun ports required repositioning. The one below was moved downward 2mm, and the top sill was shimmed and re-sanded flush with the hull. Where you don't want to make mistakes and adjustments is on the final planking. You can't hide a patch or repair on that so easily, because you may have to pry off an entire plank and remake it.
View attachment 360581
Hi Kurt,
Thank you for the advice, I'll see what I can do to adjust them to follow a flat deck, but I may have to live with some errors. :) Terry

Back