• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

SPANISH GALLEON XVII. GALEON DEL AZOGUE [COMPLETED BUILD]

I have zero knowledge or experience with model ships; I'm here to learn for a project I am undertaking soon. Your build has taught me so much about the structure and mechanics of the whole thing. But I want to know... how the hell did they get a cow down in the hold like that LOL. I'm a miniaturist of a different kind, and I really appreciate the non-shippy things you built: the heraldry, the placard, the little suit of armor, and most importantly, the rats. I love the rats.

Your talent is clearly immense. I'm humbled by your efforts to be historically accurate and to use your skill to teach about the configuration, the storage, the functionality of these spectacular products of maritime engineering, and, of course, we cannot exclude rats. :D
 
For the execution of this Project, I will rely on the following sources of documentation:

1 “Galeones Españoles de XVII” de Cayetano Hormaechea, Isidro Rivera y Manuel Derquí.

2 “Los Barcos Oceánicos en el Atlántico Ibérico en los Siglos XVI y XVII” de Cayetano Hormaechea. Accesible en academia.edu

3 “Arquitectura de la Naos y Galeones de la Carrera de Indias” de Jose Luis Rubio Serrano

4 “La Aportación de la Peninsula Iberíca a la Tecnologia Naval... 1570-1620” Thesis Doctoral, Ricardo Visier

5 “Mirada a las Naos Vascas del XVI”, Jose Maria Perona.

6 “Disquisiciones Naúticas”, Cesareo Fernandez Duro

7 Ordenanzas de Naos y Galeones de 1613 y 1618

Is the shape of the nao the same as the Santa Maria 1492?
 
I have zero knowledge or experience with model ships; I'm here to learn for a project I am undertaking soon. Your build has taught me so much about the structure and mechanics of the whole thing. But I want to know... how the hell did they get a cow down in the hold like that LOL. I'm a miniaturist of a different kind, and I really appreciate the non-shippy things you built: the heraldry, the placard, the little suit of armor, and most importantly, the rats. I love the rats.

Your talent is clearly immense. I'm humbled by your efforts to be historically accurate and to use your skill to teach about the configuration, the storage, the functionality of these spectacular products of maritime engineering, and, of course, we cannot exclude rats. :D
How to load a cow onto a ship:
1786636224288.png

Rats can make good pets. Unfortunately for rat lovers, rats are not desirable on a ship. They carry disease, infest stored food, and damage many things such as rigging.
1786636479652.png
 
Last edited:
Unfortunately for rat lovers, rats are not desireable on a ship. They carry disease, infest stored food, and damage many things such as rigging.
Oh, rats! These little critters may not have all the best qualities, but, in a pinch, they can be a valuable food reserve and they clearly indicate when the ship is sinking.
 
Back
Top