SPILING off

I'm A bit confused....my kit has planks....SPILING off is making plank from a sheet because with a curve plank will require wider material....so building my kit I would not use this technique, correct?
To use SPILING off to plank my model I would need to buy thin sheets of wood to cut out planks, correct?

I DO NOT USE LARGE SHEETS WHEN SPILING, JUST WIDER STRIPS, WHEN DONE CORRECTLY IT IS THE BEST AND MOST ACCURATE WAY TO PLANK, NO GUESSING ON HOW TAR TO TAPER PLANKS OW AND STERN, THE TRICK IS TO DO IT CORRECTLY, WITCH I HAVE A VERY HARD TIME DOING. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE DON

I just did a quick count and I'm gonna be short on planks....
Can anyone suggest a good place to buy some?
Measure 1.7mm x 5.5mm and 17" long
Parts list shows 1.5mm x 5mm but I guess there oversize, wood is ayous.

YEP HE SURE DOES GREAT SERVICE GREAT PRODUCTS CONT HIS WIFE EV MRS WOOD HER EMAIL IS LISTED IN THE LUMBRYARD SITE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE YOU AND YOURS DON

I'm A bit confused....my kit has planks....SPILING off is making plank from a sheet because with a curve plank will require wider material....so building my kit I would not use this technique, correct?
To use SPILING off to plank my model I would need to buy thin sheets of wood to cut out planks, correct?
Not necessarily. It's possible to bend planks sideways in order to get correct shape. I've seen wonderfully planked models using this technique. All you need is template, which you'll need anyways, few clamps and some heat (hairdryer, iron ...)

Screen Shot 2020-10-12 at 5.22.18 PM.png

Not necessarily. It's possible to bend planks sideways in order to get correct shape. I've seen wonderfully planked models using this technique. All you need is template, which you'll need anyways, few clamps and some heat (hairdryer, iron ...)

View attachment 185005
In my view the strakes shouldn't be cut from wider stock. If you taper (spile) then edge bend the grain follows the line of the plank and will retain it's inherent strength. I always advise that if you follow the techniques and methods used in the shipyard you won't go far wrong. Gennaro is showing the best method. The forward end of the strake will curve downwards from approximately the third bulkhead See 'Planking the Winchelsea' on youtube.

You are correct. Spiling means to make a pattern, transfer the design to wider stock and cut it out. It is very simple and very basic to all mechanical constructions. It also means you have to buy wider stock or cut your own.

You are correct. Spiling means to make a pattern, transfer the design to wider stock and cut it out. It is very simple and very basic to all mechanical constructions. It also means you have to buy wider stock or cut your own.
One additional touch to a plank that has been spiled for width is to then do some gentle bending to assist it to take the curve inwards further removing stress when the plank is applied. Just a thought as it is not that difficult, even using only heat and some gentle finger pressure to try and dry-fit the plank until you are satisfied with the fit. Not always necessary to use moisture. I like to use Isopropyl Alcohol with only a couple of minutes of soak before wiping it off and using my electric bender which dries the alcohol out quickly without expansion of the wood. . . . at least as far as I detect things. Just a thought. PT-2 (Rich)

Back