Split Bulheads

Has anyone ever been brave (or foolish!) enough to cut bulkheads in half and plank each half seperately?
The sort of thing I had in mind is shown in the following sketch.
The spacer blocks between the bulkheads would be glued to the bulheads but not to the keel.
Thekeel could be attached by screws to the first half hull for later removal and transfer to the second.
Alternatively, or additionally, the bulkheads could be spaced and positioned using slices of plywood in the form of extra decks.
The advantage would be that the half hulls could be planked with the centre keel lying flat on the work bench:
no need for keel clamps, foam pads, old cushions etc. A solid base for any pin pushing/hammering that needs doing.
As a refinement a (temporary) substitute keel could be cut that has its boundaries reduced slightly allowing planks to overhang at bow and stern.
The extensions could be trimmed and sanded so that they meet the real keel neatly with plank ends cut at exactly the right angles.
How far could one go with this? First layer planks? Both layers?, chain plates and strakes?
Fixing items that span both halves (deck beams, decks, transoms etc.) would need to be deferred until the half hulls are reunited on the real keel.
(in some kits the main deck is in two parts anyway to manouuvre into the tumble home)
Clearly one would need to ensure that the half bulkheads are well restrained to resist the stresses imposed by curved planks wanting to straighten.
Any thoughts?

Split Bulkheads.jpg

Has anyone ever been brave (or foolish!) enough to cut bulkheads in half and plank each half seperately?
The sort of thing I had in mind is shown in the following sketch.
The spacer blocks between the bulkheads would be glued to the bulheads but not to the keel.
Thekeel could be attached by screws to the first half hull for later removal and transfer to the second.
Alternatively, or additionally, the bulkheads could be spaced and positioned using slices of plywood in the form of extra decks.
The advantage would be that the half hulls could be planked with the centre keel lying flat on the work bench:
no need for keel clamps, foam pads, old cushions etc. A solid base for any pin pushing/hammering that needs doing.
As a refinement a (temporary) substitute keel could be cut that has its boundaries reduced slightly allowing planks to overhang at bow and stern.
The extensions could be trimmed and sanded so that they meet the real keel neatly with plank ends cut at exactly the right angles.
How far could one go with this? First layer planks? Both layers?, chain plates and strakes?
Fixing items that span both halves (deck beams, decks, transoms etc.) would need to be deferred until the half hulls are reunited on the real keel.
(in some kits the main deck is in two parts anyway to manouuvre into the tumble home)
Clearly one would need to ensure that the half bulkheads are well restrained to resist the stresses imposed by curved planks wanting to straighten.
Any thoughts?

View attachment 187319
I am rather new to model ship building but I believe that symmetry is an essential goal and hard enough to achieve with a centerline keel for frames or bulkheads where the planking on each side needs to precisely match the same piece coming form the other. I don't understand what a spilt hull provides advantageously toward that end as both sides, laid up independently must be joined and the aligned mating become more questionable and difficult to obtain. . . at least as far as I understand your idea. In actuality no model or actual full size boat, ship, or vessel even with computer design and cutting achieves perfect mirror symmetry and modifications must be made in the mating process. I have built one design racing sail boats in the past as well as some of the small strip canoes in the group build in SoS. Just a thought for consideration. It may work for you. PT-2

I will agree with PT-2 although I have met a Kit based in this practice...
BILLING BOATS 703, Roar Ege Viking Ship
BILLING BOATS 703, Roar Ege Viking Ship.jpg

And to be honest I don't follow the two half hulls shaping method.
The photo I posted above, it's a stage of a construction, when some years before, I wanted to built a half model on a frame.
I found much easier to build a completed hull, that had to be separated later and so I proceeded with half keel and bulkheads.
More work but two half models...:)
Thx

HalfHull-2.jpg HalfHull-3.jpg

Last edited:
This could work in theory but I would make two new keels out of material half the thickness of the original similar to how Billings did it with some of their kits.

Kind Regards

Nigel

This could work in theory but I would make two new keels out of material half the thickness of the original similar to how Billings did it with some of their kits.

Kind Regards

Nigel
I had not thought of the presentation of a half boat in a frame. That could be a nice touch on the wall and not taking up more table space. PT-2

I have had a lot of trouble with first wood build, like most we have built since we were young,[well I'm in my 70's ]but never planks on bulk had, especially when you have no plans[ one mans junk is another man's treasure, ] so I thought, but it is a wonderful and fun challenge,
S OME TIMES you have to change things a little, you, all of you have given me a few ideas, thank you. ps, how do I send photos or drawings?

I have had a lot of trouble with first wood build, like most we have built since we were young,[well I'm in my 70's ]but never planks on bulk had, especially when you have no plans[ one mans junk is another man's treasure, ] so I thought, but it is a wonderful and fun challenge,
S OME TIMES you have to change things a little, you, all of you have given me a few ideas, thank you. ps, how do I send photos or drawings?
sending you a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
To get best help and advise, the best way would be to start a building log of your project, so you can show your progress and we can assist when ever necessary and requested.....
What do you mean with "sending" photos and drawings?
If you want to add something in your posts you have to use / press the button "Attach Files" at the bottom on left side of the post you are writing
11.JPG

afterwards you can search on your computer the file and this area will show this
12.JPG

Press "Insert" and choose "Thumbnail" for small size or "full Image"
13.JPG

Man! I think that is a darn good idea, I received a wood build for Christmas, guess what? yea the HMS VICTORY, but this time thanks to all of you and your ideas I am on my way and determined to finish, learned that "you have to split the first deck right down the middle, so I did, then I squad them up and glued the bulkheads and nailed the first deck in, with incy bincy little nails as to not reck the hard work, that alone took me eight hour's, but the end results ARE very gratifying. Had trouble with brass monkies, so I made my own from plastic putty, [sets better] and of course, the cannonballs as well, looks more real! I have been working on the main deck, even made the [ breather or gally stack] and the cap stand, stopped at that point.

Mynext challenge is to figure out a way to [ replace the BELL TOWER AND FENCE]....open to ideas !!!!!!

Back