Spray paint and finishes with a Preval System

I did a search on the forum for Preval and only got hits for a post that I made in the past about using it for spraying Tru Oil, so I thought I would post this for those looking for a simple, inexpensive way to spray paint and finishes. Not a paradigm shifting discovery made on my part, just something that I've used a lot in the past.

They're like around 9 bucks US for the system which consists of the CO2 cartridge and a glass bottle with an air tight cap. Really great for mixing up small amounts of paint or finish. When the CO2 cartridge runs out, you still have the bottle. You can buy them as a complete set or you can buy the CO2 cartridges and bottles separately.

My photography is pretty weak, but in the pics, I mixed up a roughly 1 1/2 lb cut of blonde shellac flakes and then tinted that with a mahogany and a maple tint. I think I got too much tint in the Maple, it only takes a few drops of that tint in small containers like these.

Anyway, just thought I would pass this along in case it might be something that would work in your shop.

IMG_3155.JPG

Regards;

Charles

I just looked at a preval video on how to use this. In my humble opinion the width of the spray seems to be too large for spraying a model. I am not a sprayer as I have never had the talent for it. I would like to hear from modelers who spray paint and how a novice like me can avoid the mixing and spraying mistakes. Thank you.

Not by any stretch am I an airbrush pro however, after trying several different styles over the years I have landed on the Grex pistol grip style and have been very happy with the result. My one piece of advice is do not go from mixing the paints then going straight to the mode. I have an 8-1/2 x 11 note pad on which I always test my mixture/air pressure and pattern before applying to the model. Kinda goes with the measure twice cut once rule.;)

I also am not an air brush pro, but I like my single action Badger 200 air brush. Set my small compressor starting at 30 psi and start working my air pressure down to a workable pressure while adjusting my paint flow needle until I have the right air pressure and the right paint flow, then you can shoot from a pencil thickness to about a one and a half to a two inch wide band of paint. You can shoot about any liquid of your choice through it,from stains to paints.after about an hour or so of messing around you should be able to paint anything you want on model ships within reason, and you can get any information you want on the internet, just have fun.

Back