Squaring mast head and other parts

Thinking ahead to my Pride Of Baltimore II build, I'd like suggestions for accurately and neatly squaring the mast heads and foot of bowsprit. My efforts on my Constitution cross sections have,frankly,been crude and sloppy looking.
I found one excellent video on this topic, but the builder was using a milling machine, which I don't have.
I do have a drill press though,both full size and Dremel. Think it would be possible to do this squaring with those and an appropriate sized end mill?

Thinking ahead to my Pride Of Baltimore II build, I'd like suggestions for accurately and neatly squaring the mast heads and foot of bowsprit. My efforts on my Constitution cross sections have,frankly,been crude and sloppy looking.
I found one excellent video on this topic, but the builder was using a milling machine, which I don't have.
I do have a drill press though,both full size and Dremel. Think it would be possible to do this squaring with those and an appropriate sized end mill?
Would it be possible to share with us this mentioned video?
Maybe afterwards it is easier to give hints for an alternative method....

I ran mine in a table saw. You still have to clean them up a little. Turning 4 times, you c@n see the results in my build thread, but, I was wondering the same thing. I was thinking making a small router table, getting a short 1/2” carbide tip bit, using my laminate trimmer which I never use anymore with Stone countertops taking over laminate.

Would it be possible to share with us this mentioned video?
Maybe afterwards it is easier to give hints for an alternative method....

One very preliminary trial seems like I can do this with my Dremel in the drill press and a carbide wood carving bit.

Can you show us a photo with the available tools and equipment?
Maybe it is than easier to make a suggestion.....

Can you show us a photo with the available tools and equipment?
Maybe it is than easier to make a suggestion.....
I don't have a photo, but my tools and equipment are pretty basic. For shaping wood I have various knives,razor saws,files, a full size bandsaw, and a Dremel with various bits and attachments. I don't really want to invest in any more expensive equipment just to do this task.

G'day if you have a look at my Royal Caroline build, I have just finished squaring the mast heads etc, here is the link,

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/zhl-royal-caroline-kit-scale-1-30.1310/page-40

Hope it helps you,
Best regards John,
Thanks-- that should be very useful information. I'll need to get a small rasp like the one you used for the squaring. For my next build (Pride of Baltimore II) I'll buy some dowel the same size as the mast and do a lot of experimenting before starting on the real mast.

The good news is, my Syren rope arrived and is beautiful stuff. The bad news is that I think the line I bought for my shrouds is too thick. I estimated it as best I could from the Syren sizing chart but next to the deadeyes I think it's too fat. Here's a deadeye temporarily lashed into this line...what do you all think? Passible? I've already uncoiled the rope and put it on a jerry rigged spool, so I can't return it for replacement and I'd hate to buy more.20200528_101223[1].jpg

Do you have a stand for the Dremel tool, not to costly and you can use it to make a mini milling machine.

You can use a milling bit and support block under mast to hold it while moving it under the bit manually.

Not the best, but for non critical work if done slowly it can done.

Donnie had a post with video showing squaring of mast end with mill. Easy steps to follow basic process.

Do you have a stand for the Dremel tool, not to costly and you can use it to make a mini milling machine.

You can use a milling bit and support block under mast to hold it while moving it under the bit manually.

Not the best, but for non critical work if done slowly it can done.

Donnie had a post with video showing squaring of mast end with mill. Easy steps to follow basic process.
I have the Dremel drill press that ought to work for this purpose.

I am working on notches for my keel on Blandford build and plan to use Dremel drill press and end mill bit to get square level cuts, I have tried filing and very hard to get true flat cuts.

I have to practice on being a manual X-Y table under the bit on sample first.

I think key is having proper support to hold item being moved so no rolling or twisting.

For squaring masts, videos I have seen show you make shallow first square on one side, then flip 180 on the now flat surface to mill other side, and use block as side guide when cutting the 90 turn, the block on flat side allows for third side to be cut true 90. Last cut is as easy as second. When done with first cuts, check fit and if needed repeat with slightly deeper cuts on all four sides. Remember to make adjustments 1/2 of what is needed to take off same amount from all side to keep work centered on mast.

The way I cut mast squares: If you have a diamond file and a razor saw, you should be able to square the mast heads with patience. First measure the depth of the squared end...mark that point around the dowel. Determine the size of the square, and mark on the end of the dowel. Using the razor saw cut a notch at the depth line down to the depth of the edge of the square. Place the dowel in a hobby vise end up, use the razor saw to cut from the end to the cut you made earlier...this will nicely form the first edge of the square. Repeat for the remaining three edges. Use the diamond file for final shaping. Anyway, there are ways to get a well formed square with simple tools. Hope this makes sense...hard to draw word pictures! Oh, I know a master builder who only uses a sharp no. eleven blade and makes square mast ends perfectly. He is way more skilled than I!

Last edited:
My kit came with round dowels, and the square part was to be smaller Than the mast. That wasn’t an option for me.

Back