SS FLYING ENTERPRISE

DSC09568.JPG

Volker H. Knees built this model of the (ex-Liberty ship) SS FLYING ENTERPRISE in the colors of the Isbrantsen Line. This model is approximately 48 inches long. It is in excellent condition.

Knee's association with the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE began when he was 9 years old. Immigration records (signed by the ship's captain Kurt Carlsen) show that he and his widowed mother came to the United States on the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE in 1950. Provenance of this type is phenomenal.

You may recall the saga of the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE which sank off of Falmouth, England in January of 1952. Captain Carlsen successfully supervised the rescue of his 10 passengers and 41 crew, then stayed aboard for over a week, weathering the winter storms off that dangerous coast. Carlsen (a U.S. citizen) became known world-wide for his success in saving the passengers and crew, and for staying with the ship. His heroic story was told on the front pages of the New York Times and he was given a ticker-tape parade on his return to the U.S.

I was contacted a few years ago by Volker’s widow asking for recommendations on finding a home for this model. I inquired at a number of small museums on the East Coast with no luck. Finally I made contact with the curator of the museum at the United States Merchant Marine Academy (USMMA, Kings Point).

They were happy to accept the model. The story of the FLYING ENTERPRISE is taught at the Academy. I crated it up and had it shipped.

The USMMA museum had just received a donation of artifacts from Captain Carlsen’s family and I understand that the model will become part of a new exhibit.

Volker H. Knees built this model of the (ex-Liberty ship) SS FLYING ENTERPRISE in the colors of the Isbrantsen Line. This model is approximately 48 inches long. It is in excellent condition.

Knee's association with the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE began when he was 9 years old. Immigration records (signed by the ship's captain Kurt Carlsen) show that he and his widowed mother came to the United States on the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE in 1950. Provenance of this type is phenomenal.

You may recall the saga of the SS FLYING ENTERPRISE which sank off of Falmouth, England in January of 1952. Captain Carlsen successfully supervised the rescue of his 10 passengers and 41 crew, then stayed aboard for over a week, weathering the winter storms off that dangerous coast. Carlsen (a U.S. citizen) became known world-wide for his success in saving the passengers and crew, and for staying with the ship. His heroic story was told on the front pages of the New York Times and he was given a ticker-tape parade on his return to the U.S.
Hallo @billcanoe
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back