SS GREAT BRITAIN c.1860

Finished most of the Spar Deck or also called the Weather Deck basically done, many problems still with paint, or what to do to get ideas from pictures, paintings and drawings etc the worst aggravation was making the Railings!
As Brian R.I.P. said, a difficult build!
Next it's Masts, Yards and rigging, the masts are nothing like I have made in the past or seen on any model.
A few photos
20220309_131523.jpg20220309_131547.jpg20220309_131837.jpg20220309_131846.jpg20220309_131851.jpg20220309_131910.jpg20220309_131915.jpg20220309_131930.jpg20220309_132535.jpg20220309_132545.jpg20220309_132555.jpg

Very interesting idea with the openings to see the "interior"
Thanks
I like showing the interior, sometimes they are more interesting then the usual hull and rigging.
Have you seen my PS Waverly which mainly shows the interior from a different angle also HMS Warrior and HMS Victory Open Deck View
Keep Well
Paul

Finished most of the Spar Deck or also called the Weather Deck basically done, many problems still with paint, or what to do to get ideas from pictures, paintings and drawings etc the worst aggravation was making the Railings!
As Brian R.I.P. said, a difficult build!
Next it's Masts, Yards and rigging, the masts are nothing like I have made in the past or seen on any model.
A few photos
View attachment 295476View attachment 295477View attachment 295478View attachment 295479View attachment 295480View attachment 295481View attachment 295482View attachment 295491View attachment 295488View attachment 295489View attachment 295490
Dear Paul,
it's looks beautiful model, well done:)Okay

Dear Paul,
it's looks beautiful model, well done:)Okay
Thanks for your kind words, difficult to know first names, as I have said before the attempt I'm making is to build the model as it took passengers to Australia round about the 1860s
Its a very interesting ship and had a variety of changes, well worth reading about.
You keep Well
Paul

I always understood the SS Great Britain to be a full rigged ship. this old Image seams to make that claim..

Rob

View attachment 295588
We live near Bristol which is where the ship is berthed. It actually has six masts(!) open to the public and very interesting to visit. Also a good website. Good luck with the model, looks good so far.

We live near Bristol which is where the ship is berthed. It actually has six masts(!) open to the public and very interesting to visit. Also a good website. Good luck with the model, looks good so far.
Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply, yes I live in London and have visited Bristol and the Museum a few times, yes the ship had 6 masts which right now look like 6 flagpoles, over the years the ship went from 6 to 5 to 4 and then 3 masts, my model will have 3 masts as it had when it took passengers to Australia that's why it's circa 1860. I do not think there is any other model and I got the idea from the brochure you can get in the museum shop. The curator of the museum has been very helpful to me.
Nobody seems to know exactly what it looked like at that time but if you research like I did there is original black and white photos of the ship in Melbourne, also passenger drawings and illustrations which showed the diamond mesh railings.
So I agree with you but mines a later refit.
Nice of you to contact me
Keep Healthy
Paul

Very interesting idea with the openings to see the "interior"
Very good idea. Saw something similar with action holograms on model in the Rijksmuseum in Amsterdam - yours is the practical solution

Hi Mike
Thanks for your reply, yes I live in London and have visited Bristol and the Museum a few times, yes the ship had 6 masts which right now look like 6 flagpoles, over the years the ship went from 6 to 5 to 4 and then 3 masts, my model will have 3 masts as it had when it took passengers to Australia that's why it's circa 1860. I do not think there is any other model and I got the idea from the brochure you can get in the museum shop. The curator of the museum has been very helpful to me.
Nobody seems to know exactly what it looked like at that time but if you research like I did there is original black and white photos of the ship in Melbourne, also passenger drawings and illustrations which showed the diamond mesh railings.
So I agree with you but mines a later refit.
Nice of you to contact me
Keep Healthy
Paul
Hi Paul,
Thanks for the message. We've taken the grandchildren on a couple of visits to the ship which they enjoyed apart from the lower deck's "smelly" feature which aimed to reproduce the aromas of the passengers it seems!
I'll follow your progress and am sure the results will be excellent.
All the best
Mike

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the message. We've taken the grandchildren on a couple of visits to the ship which they enjoyed apart from the lower deck's "smelly" feature which aimed to reproduce the aromas of the passengers it seems!
I'll follow your progress and am sure the results will be excellent.
All the best
Mike
That's nice to take the kids, it's very interesting there but one thing I was told by a staff member was the only original items of the ship left was the hull and the ship's bell!
One last thing there is a very good documentary on Google. Just put in Documentary on SS Great Britain as it's amazing what they had to do to restore the ship.
Paul

I always understood the SS Great Britain to be a full rigged ship. this old Image seams to make that claim..

Rob

View attachment 295588
Hi Rob
Just found your reply, I missed it as I usually reply quickly, great picture, I think at this time it had no engines etc and was stuck in the Falklands, I had a reply who could not understand how my build was different to the 6 masted in Bristol, I find what I am building is a bit different and just trying to make certain as it was.
You keep well
Paul

Originally the SS Great Britain had 6 masts, only one was square rigged, the other four lateen

1280px-SS_Great_Britain_by_Talbot.jpg
Fitting out in the Bristol Floating Harbour, April 1844. This historic photograph by William Talbot is believed to be the first ever taken of a ship.

Seems, that there were sevarl problems with the riggining during here service, so she was refitted once to four masts

SS_Great_Britain_with_four_masts_1853.jpg
SS Great Britain in 1853, showing her four-masted sail plan following her refit from five masts. She was later refitted again, to a traditional three-masted, square-rigged pattern.

In Falkland she was used as a coal-bunker

Originally the SS Great Britain had 6 masts, only one was square rigged, the other four lateen

View attachment 297315
Fitting out in the Bristol Floating Harbour, April 1844. This historic photograph by William Talbot is believed to be the first ever taken of a ship.

Seems, that there were sevarl problems with the riggining during here service, so she was refitted once to four masts

View attachment 297316
SS Great Britain in 1853, showing her four-masted sail plan following her refit from five masts. She was later refitted again, to a traditional three-masted, square-rigged pattern.

HI
I have been making model ships on and of for about 50 years, never getting to a high standard but enjoying what I do. I'm just amazed at what knowledge you have, I would not even know what Lateen for masts means, I just call them all masts!
Working on the masts and Yards now, not easy when you do not have plans etc. just looking forward to the rigging (I don't think so)
Nice to hear from you
Paul

View attachment 297315

View attachment 297316

We should not be so surprised. It was far from uncommon for a vessel that had any longevity to be rerigged for a number of reasons. Financial reasons , damage recovery, or just plain redesignation based upon need.

My own build of Donald McKay's famous clipper, Glory of the Seas...spent numerous sessions at the remodeling carpenters hand. So it can be a natural thing to see builds of a particular vessel depicted in many configurations. And if the viewer is not keenly aware(Or educated) of such changes in the prototype....they may find themselves questioning the accuracy of the model they are viewing. The most important aspect of a vessel is not found in her trimmings(though that may be the most defining aspect), but what lies within the design of her hull.

One aspect I truly love about building a particular vessel that has a varied and remarkable life history, is that the builder has many directions to go and will find themselves totally accurate, despite another builders direction and choice of time frame.

Rob

Hi Rob
Very interesting and of course your right about changes made to ships, the problem lies in, as example my building of SS Great Britain c.1860 there is no plans only a few photos,drawings etc even the Museum does not have much on this era. So I build the ship thinking who does know and it just becomes a representation of maybe what it looked like.
This Forum is called Ships of Scale but it is something far beyond my knowledge and skills.
Keep Healthy
Paul

Back