SS GREAT BRITAIN The Hull

Nearly finished the hull, looks a bit of a mess. As Brian said an ambitious scratch built model. He was Right!
Somehow I found it difficult to get the Lines right (which I doubt they are!) just bits of plans, photos and books showing the same things. I think it was 10% plans and 90% guess work. Even difficult to get get a port or starboard whole photo of the ship at Bristol.
Now I have to fit the portholes which will not be easy as they are inserted into the opening, also I have to work out where they are as nothing is easy. Then I will paint it, let's hope I don't throw it in the dustbin!
So Members please do not laugh and keep HEALTHY
Paul
ps photos are not very good
20210321_084333.jpg20210321_084425.jpg20210321_084437.jpg20210321_084453.jpg

A very good start of this interesting project - I am looking forward to see more often some progress

Do you know this site ?

We are not here for laugh on the work of the members. ;)
I know that Maxi, just a joke from me. Us members respect all other members as it's a wonderful hobby and it's great if we make the most basic kit or are professionally skilled. The other nice thing is we are from all over the World, shame everybody cannot be nice like we are!
Thanks for looking
Keep HEALTHY
Paul

Paul, I have a Haynes Manual of the ship which has many construction details and useful photos, plus a small scale but complete lines plan. GB.JPG

If you can't find the book for sale (retail price about £22) I could send you my copy for a small consideration.

Paul, I have a Haynes Manual of the ship which has many construction details and useful photos, plus a small scale but complete lines plan. View attachment 223566

If you can't find the book for sale (retail price about £22) I could send you my copy for a small consideration.
Hi Chris
What a lovely kind reply!
I have the book, cut out all the pages I need, same as I have done to 3 other books, waiting to go to Bristol again when it opens to source more information as I am building something different ( if I can finish it)
In the meantime I am doing what I can to keep a little busy until I can go back to holidays and cruising again.
Keep HEALTHY
Paul

Hi Chris
What a lovely kind reply!
I have the book, cut out all the pages I need, same as I have done to 3 other books, waiting to go to Bristol again when it opens to source more information as I am building something different ( if I can finish it)
In the meantime I am doing what I can to keep a little busy until I can go back to holidays and cruising again.
Keep HEALTHY
Paul
PS
You seem to keep busy with all the projects you have done or working on!

Paul, I have a Haynes Manual of the ship which has many construction details and useful photos, plus a small scale but complete lines plan. View attachment 223566

Looks verey French in the lines... :-o

I still have got the card model in my stash - go away temptations !!!

You should consider buying automotive spray putty in a rattle can, and apply multiple coats. It sandpapers beautifully like talcum powder.

Thats a great effort so far Paul.
Hi Brian or is Bryian?
Nice to hear from you again, hope your keeping well as things are a lot better over there then here in England!

Thanks for your comment but I have a long way to go, now I'm sorting out the portholes then I will do some work on the starboard side, then paint the Hull.

I will then download photos in awhile.

Philip Island, lovely place, been there when my parents lived in Melbourne, lovely Penguins etc stayed a few days and found it a very interesting and diverse Island!

Keep HEALTHY
Paul

Indeed - the book shows a cross section of an 18th century French frigate for comparison.
Chris Hello
You must have great knowledge to think my hull looks like it has French Lines, I just would not know! I'm very basic with modelling, just build them and learn a little knowledge with each one.
Since I have been scratch building I can do what I like that's why my models are a bit different but I admit they do not come close to what wonderful perfect models some of the members make.
By the way, how do you list the models you have built on your site? and what is Iterum said?

Nice to hear from you
Paul

Chris Hello
You must have great knowledge to think my hull looks like it has French Lines, I just would not know! I'm very basic with modelling, just build them and learn a little knowledge with each one.
Since I have been scratch building I can do what I like that's why my models are a bit different but I admit they do not come close to what wonderful perfect models some of the members make.
By the way, how do you list the models you have built on your site? and what is Iterum said?

Nice to hear from you
Paul
Paul, I was answering Iterum's post that was referring to the lines plan (in the book) which you also have according your earlier post.

As far as I can remember, listing the models is part of your profile which can be updated any time you like.

Sorry Chris

Getting old and more confused, had a look at Profile and I think I'll ask a Staff Member how to do it, I'm not very good on the computer!

Keep WELL
Paul

Nearly finished the hull, looks a bit of a mess. As Brian said an ambitious scratch built model. He was Right!
Somehow I found it difficult to get the Lines right (which I doubt they are!) just bits of plans, photos and books showing the same things. I think it was 10% plans and 90% guess work. Even difficult to get get a port or starboard whole photo of the ship at Bristol.
Now I have to fit the portholes which will not be easy as they are inserted into the opening, also I have to work out where they are as nothing is easy. Then I will paint it, let's hope I don't throw it in the dustbin!
So Members please do not laugh and keep HEALTHY
Paul
ps photos are not very good
View attachment 222227View attachment 222228View attachment 222229View attachment 222230
Hallo Paul alias @paulmodel
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back