SS Tacna

Hi, I'm new here. My previous builds: 1:96 Revell Constitution, Artesania Sanson tugboat in 1:50 , and Artesania San Francisco cross section .
New possible project: restoration of an antique model of the SS Tacna. She was a British cargo steamship that sunk off of Chile in 1874. My friend has a model given to her parents by an antique dealer relative in 1963 as a wedding present. Anyone ever heard of ship's plans for this steamer ? Or models?

Screenshot_20200408-162132_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200408-162132_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200408-162132_Facebook.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
Hallo and also from my side a warm welcome here on board

She was completed by Bowdler, Chaffer & Co in 1873 at Seacombe, Liverpool, UK. 612 tons. 207.3 feet long. 26.5 feet wide. Blew up and sank 9 nautical miles off Pichidaugue, Valparaison on the 8th March, 1874.
I doubt if plans are available.

She was completed by Bowdler, Chaffer & Co in 1873 at Seacombe, Liverpool, UK. 612 tons. 207.3 feet long. 26.5 feet wide. Blew up and sank 9 nautical miles off Pichidaugue, Valparaison on the 8th March, 1874.
I doubt if plans are available.
Yep, that's the one. Found this info as well as British Govt. inquiry about cause....apparently they overloaded cargo and did it incorrectly to boot so that when everything started to shift, it happened quickly and caused explosion and capsize. 19 souls lost. Made a bit of news at the time. I wonder if the person who built this model was working off a photo? I can't find any photos. with my googling.

Hi, I'm new here. My previous builds: 1:96 Revell Constitution, Artesania Sanson tugboat in 1:50 , and Artesania San Francisco cross section .
New possible project: restoration of an antique model of the SS Tacna. She was a British cargo steamship that sunk off of Chile in 1874. My friend has a model given to her parents by an antique dealer relative in 1963 as a wedding present. Anyone ever heard of ship's plans for this steamer ? Or models?

View attachment 142760
Hallo @Trout1
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake
How is the restoration of the SS Tacna going?

Back