St. John the Baptist , DeAgostini

Hi

From 2012 to 2014, a magazine was published about large sailing ships with parts of the ship Sv. John the Baptist. I bought it properly and put it away carefully,
I was working on another boat so I didn't have time for this boat. I have checked the parts and all the packages are still there, I have complete instructions (step by step)
that I will stick to. Although I have been involved in ship modeling for several years, I am new to making kits, but also curious about how it looks.
Each technique has good and bad side.

St. John the Baptist was built in Toscany in 1589. It is a good example of a very widespread type of sailing ship from the beginning of the 16th century.
Cosimo 1. de Medici decided to turn the port of Livorno to a larger port than Granducato in Toscany. The city has risen almost to a symbol of tolerance
and coexistence and is a refuge for all people who are persecuted for political, religious or racial reasons.

St. John the Baptist was conceived as a testimony of the city's cosmopolitan and adventurous spirit, whose importance grew more and more.
It was one of the first galleons built in Italy, where the main ships were still galleys and large galleys.

St. John the Baptist has the typical shape of Spanish galleons from the end of the 15th century (two decks with cannons, a rather pronounced deck ridge,
a spacious castle and a very high barracks) and is similar to galleons for mixed use (transportation, research and combat), which precedes the division
into galleons „roads to India“ and those of the "Armada".

The picture from the magazine:
20230103_171429.jpg

How this looks:

20230101_114021.jpg

Step by step instructions.

20230103_131832.jpg
20230103_131848.jpg

20230103_131902.jpg

Also I have some blueprints.

20230103_131942.jpg

And parts.20230103_132354.jpg

let's see how it goes...

I opened the first part of the instructions which is related to the first 4 numbers and thus with 4 packages with parts.

Everything is normal plywood, but they strongly suggest that everything be coated with walnut-colored wood stain. I know I recently threw away all the old paint and various wood preservatives because they were old. but let me take a look, I found a bucket of walnut-colored wood stain!!!!
I have never painted anything in walnut!!! Maybe this is my lucky year!!!

The decks had to be arranged and all the parts connected.
The part of the keel that I glued at the end is not straight, I will try to solve that in the next step when the other ribs are glued.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg10.jpg11.jpg

Finish of part one.

Hi

Continuation, next part of instructions, 4 packages. Mainly ribs and decks. The procedure is the same, I follow the instructions, painted the ribs in walnut color, varnished the decks with two hands of varnish. Some pieces of plywood are good, some are bad, but I think everything can be solved.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg

more to came ...

Hi

Continuation, next part of instructions, 4 packages. Mainly ribs and decks. The procedure is the same, I follow the instructions, painted the ribs in walnut color, varnished the decks with two hands of varnish. Some pieces of plywood are good, some are bad, but I think everything can be solved.

View attachment 349507View attachment 349508View attachment 349509View attachment 349510View attachment 349511View attachment 349512View attachment 349513View attachment 349514View attachment 349515View attachment 349516View attachment 349517

more to came ...
Exquisite model.
I’m so glad you posted this build. Galleons and tugs fascinates me.
I don’t want to miss anything of your build.
I will follow it.

Hello

The fourth part of the instructions is finished, some more details, and I had less time for the model, mostly everything goes as it should.
Some parts needed to be adjusted, one deck did not turn out exactly as it should, in that case I followed the instructions and I have the feeling that it's better if I did it my way, but it doesn't matter. But for now, there was a little bit of adjustment, but for the most part everything fell into place.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

Let's move on...

You are always welcome Peter!

It's a little strange to me, but also interesting and relaxing to build a boat in this way, just following the instructions.

Good evening.

Another part done!

I made two cannons, two barrels, a castle on the bow and gratings on the stern and bow.

It's all still a bit strange to me, I made the cannons in 15 minutes, on the xebec it took me a week's work, maybe more. I had to make a cannon pattern on a lathe, then a mold for it, then casting cannons, making a wooden part and assembling. But I personally prefer them, these are nice but too shiny. The grids have too big holes in my opinion, I don't think it's even close to any scale. I don't want to get into corrections or making new parts, I said I'm working according to the instructions and I'm sticking to it, I hope I'll be satisfied in the end.

pictures...1.jpg

New cannons!!
2.jpg3.jpg

Old xebec cannons!!

4.jpg5.jpg5_1.jpg5_2.jpg5_3.jpg6.jpg

New things on the build...

7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg15.jpg

Parts on the side for now...

20230121_215338.jpg

Thats all for now.
good night

Hello

Another part is over. The closing of the hull has begin. In my opinion, the plates are too thick and everything is quite simplified, for now only the left side is being worked on, as far as I can see the right side will be partially open. I've never done closing like that before and this is probably the last time.

I usually work by doing both the left and right side at the same time, I'm not in a hurry, I have a bottle of water in which I have plates that have already been calculated and processed to right size, in the morning I put the wet plates on the boat to form, in the evening I glue them and the newly prepared ones go in water bottle. It takes longer, but it comes out much nicer.

In any case, this is later covered with other plates, so it just fills the hole.

Ok, it can be like that.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.5.jpg4.jpg

Tomorrow I open a new part of instructions and packages.

5.jpg

6.jpg

Hello

In this part, I made the right side of the ship, which will be open. I do four ladders that I did not put on the position for the simple reason that I think it will be easier to do this when the hull is closed all.

At one point, some things about the construction weren't really clear to me, so I had to look at a few more instructions in advance to see how the system works, now it's clearer to me and I think everything is under control for now.

I not send for now, I'll do that when I'm done with planking.

1.jpg

2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4_1.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg

On the left side everything is like before.

8.jpg

Thats all for now.

Good evening ladies and gentlemen

One more part finished, mostly closing the hull on the left side. I also started to close the right side, which is mostly open. I also made some door hinges. They really could have done a little more work on that door brcause is looking vary bad.

I have other objections related to working on the ship! The work stand is unusable at the moment, when I'm doing the plates, I have to be careful all the time because is very easy to break a piece of plywood, which is extremely thin, this is visible in the middle part of the ship near the deck, and on the castle. There are a lot of nails, so it is either pounded with a hammer or with a nail tool with which you have to press quite hard and if you have not placed the model in the best possible position, something will break very easily. Fortunately, nothing irreparable.

For this reason, I am not putting up a ladder for now because it would be even more difficult to work, and I don't see any reason to put it up for now. I still haven't sanded anything, I plan to do it when I have finish with this part.

pictures:

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg4_1.jpg5.jpg6.jpg7.jpg8.jpg8_1.jpg9.jpg10.jpg11.jpg12.jpg13.jpg14.jpg

Good night !!

Good evening

The part from number 37 to number 40 is finished. The hull is closed with the first layer, nothing has been sanded yet, except for the bow, which was in the description. The other side is partially closed according to their instructions.

I didn't work for a few days because I became a grandfather for the third time. And in the first phase, while I have a build log here on the SOS forum (2013, 2014), I became a grandfather for the first time. Like it was yesterday, I was messing around with Popeye, Bjorn, Anna, GaryM and the rest of the team back then!! Who knows where these people are now? It was a good team!!

I think the next part is sanding, and only then I will know real situation .

1.jpg1_1.jpg2.jpg2_1.jpg2_5.jpg3.jpg3_1.jpg4.jpg4_1.jpg5.jpg5_1.jpg6.jpg6_1.jpg7.jpg8.jpg9.jpg

Like every grandfather III, I have to go to bed early!!

Good night

Back