Stains

A

Aussie048

I am looking a staining some timber prior to gluing. The majority of it would be stained after gluing.

I have to options and they are Oil base or Water Base. The stain will not have any lacquer in it.

I have been told that water base stains actually leave a surface layer, where Oil base stains do not.

The big question is will staining cause an issue with gluing the timbers with PVA glue.

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff, I used to use commercial paint tinters mixed with turpentine to good effect. That could be another option. I don’t believe it affected the integrity of adhesion with PVA glue.

Thanks ADC,

I would not think a solvent based stains would cause an issue. Water based as it leaves a layer on the surface may do.

I will test it anyway.

Cheers
Geoff

My only concern would be with drying of the stain to be sure. Good policy to wait until it is completely dried out and cured before using any type of glue. Most commercial stains have driers added to ensure that. With water based stains as you suggest the pigments are likely just in suspension in the water solution and not completely dissolved or fully absorbed by the wood and remain the surface after drying out.

That is what the experts in my hardware store told me. I had two of them helping me that day and they found me not vice versa.

They even went to the PVA glue bottle I am using to see if it had mentioned stains in wood. That is service that has been missing for years

Cheers
Geoff

Hi Geoff. I suggest you go with oil based, then if you have to wipe off any excess PVA with a damp rag the stain penereation/evenness of cover will not be affected as it might be with a water based stain. I mostly use CA on my builds and any slight glue edge disappears after a coat of lacquer is applied. You can still use an acrylic or enamel lacquer on an oil based stain and the colour will not start to 'pull up' from the stained surface if you overwork it. I only ever use oil based stain on models or furniture restoration projects - I used to be a French Polisher. Hope this helps.

Back