Star of India, Scratch build

Beautiful ship!
Although I've loved these tall square riggers since I was a kid, I didn't really have any idea about how they're actually sailed. I knew it was different than my Sunfish, but I couldn't imagine how those square sailes were used. I got a good idea while sailing for a weekend as part of a guest crew on the Pride of Baltimore II this summer, and then I got wind (pun intended) of the amazing Star of India videos here;

Great job. I built one like it but sans sails. Where did you acquire the plans? I crewed aboard her as a volunteer sail handler for 10 years and sailed with her twice. What a thrill. My model is in the Star of India Museum. She had three lives. The first as a passenger ship known as the Euterpe. Later she was bought, renamed the Star of India and used to haul commercial fisherman to Alaska and brought the fish back to the canneries in San Francisco. Then she was moored in the ship graveyard up there until a group brought her to San Diego to refurbish as a museum. During WWII, the masts were taken down because she was too close the navy airfields and posed a hazard to them.

My model is as she was as a cannery ship. I wanted to learn how to build models and Bob Crawford, the Curator of Models tutored me along with some of the crew and other modelers. I had to leave in 1995, so Joe Bompiesero, another master Modeler, rigged it for me. Since the plans were not very good at the time, I spent a lot of time measuring the ship, the yards and looking for marks left when she was made into a Bark. A great experience to never be forgotten.

Again, a very nice job. Congratulations.

Back