Star of India

Having lived in San Diego for over 50 years and have been building ships for the last 35 years, I wanted a model of the Star of India moored at the Maritime museum. Since there are no kits of her I decided to embark on my first scratch build of her. Using plans purchased from the museum and hundreds of pictures and measurements taken on board I started to build. This is a picture of her under way off the San Diego coast.

12747939_146794952375210_1563635204838885238_o.jpg

Last edited:
Fortunate indeed that there are no kits of Star of India, because it pushed you into the satisfying world of scratchbuilding - well done! Although this type of ship is very unpopular amongst model shipbuilders, I have spent many years building them, and model ship collectors can't get enough of them. You may be interested in my section
Maritime History Build Logs: 19th & 20th Century here on SOS that is dedicated to 19th and 20th century ships, but sadly, is not very active. I hope that if you build more, you may feel inclined to put them in this section.
Bob

Hallo Dave,
many thanks for starting this interesting building log - you are a lucky guy to have the possibility to check all the details on the real ship.
Keep on going with posting your work :cool:

Back