Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Daniel.
Bravo, Well done, what is the next model?
Royal Caroline?

Grüsse
Karl

View attachment 229459

View attachment 229460

View attachment 229461

View attachment 229462

Oh my Gosh.... why are you doing this to me ? That ship is breathtaking.

Are you and Marteen working together pressuring me to do more and more complex things ? :)

Let me think about it.

Next will be the Korean ship " the Turtle" to relax a little.

I have the Royal Caroline 1:50 . It is POB. I can buy from ZHL all the carvings in pear wood.

And try to built this :

6.jpgRoyal_Caroline5.jpg1.jpg

But before THE TURTLE.

Daniel

Last edited:
Oh my Gosh.... why are you doing this to me ? That ship is breathtaking.

Are you and Marteen working together pressuring me to do more and more complex things ? :)

Let me think about it.

Next will be the Korean ship " the Turtle" to relax a little.

I have the Royal Caroline 1:50 . It is POB. I can buy from ZHL all the carvings in pear wood.

And try to built this :

View attachment 229501View attachment 229502View attachment 229503

But before THE TURTLE.

Daniel

Daniel,
If (after the Turtle) you intend to build the Sergal Royal Caroline with the Chinese carvings, be careful. AFAIK the carvings are done from the drawings of the Bellabarba book. The Sergal hull is different though. I read a few years ago somewhere that Sergal used the Peregrine Galley hull for the Caroline so this hull and the Bellabarba carvings are not compatible. I know this for a fact because I built the hull using the Sergal bulkheads and carved the decorations from the book and they did not fit. So be careful!
János

Daniel,
If (after the Turtle) you intend to build the Sergal Royal Caroline with the Chinese carvings, be careful. AFAIK the carvings are done from the drawings of the Bellabarba book. The Sergal hull is different though. I read a few years ago somewhere that Sergal used the Peregrine Galley hull for the Caroline so this hull and the Bellabarba carvings are not compatible. I know this for a fact because I built the hull using the Sergal bulkheads and carved the decorations from the book and they did not fit. So be careful!
János

Thank you Janos for stopping by and for this tip !!!!

I have the chinese RC 1:50. The 1:50 version have resin carvings. They looks fine. I was planning to paint them gold.

I have read, at SOS, that there were issues with the carvings that goes at the side of the hull on the 1:30 version that comes with the carvings included with the kit. The hull was shorter and carvings needed to be cut to fit. Or something like that. I read it a few months ago.

Nevertheless, I thought many times to buy the pear wood carvings for my 1:50.

But will the $$$ investment pay off at the end . The RC 1:50 Kit price is ~$250 and the pear wood carvings is ~$280 dollars.

My question is :

Will those pear wood carvings enhance the ship to a level of satisfaction that justify buying them ?

What do you think ?

Best Daniel

Ps: this is what I have

And these are the carvings on sale for this model and scale

Last edited:
Thank you Janos for stopping by and for this tip !!!!

I have the chinese RC 1:50 , not the big chinese version. The 1:50 version have resin carvings. They look fine. I was planning to paint them gold.

I have read, at SOS, that there were issues with the carvings that goes at the side of the hull on the big version that comes with the carvings. The hull was shorter and carvings needed to be cut to fit. Or something like that. I read it a few months ago.

Nevertheless, I thought many times to buy the pear wood carvings for my 1:50.

But will the $$$ investment pay off at the end . The RC 1:50 Kit price is ~$250 and the pear wood carvings is ~$280 dollars.

My question is :

Will those pear wood carvings enhance the ship to a level of satisfaction that justify buying them ?

What do you think ?

Best Daniel

Hi Daniel,
Difficult to say. I haven't built any of the Chinese kits but I saw a RC kit. The version I saw was the Pearwood one. The carvings are definitely better than any of the cast decorations which come with the European kits. But I did not REALLY like those carvings. The Boxwood ones have to be better because of the difference between the timbers, no question. But the Pearwood ones (and most likely the BW ones are carved using the same program) need some serious hand finishing. This should not be too difficult. The Pearwood carvings need more care because of the more pronounced grain, and because this is not as homogeneous a material as the Boxwood. I assume their material is not European Boxwood, which is the best material, but the American Boxwood (or Honduras BW or Costelo or Castelo - it is known on a number of names) and this is still much better than Pearwood. Pearwood is way softer.
The manually enhanced CNC timber carvings are nearly as good as the manually carved ones and even better from consistencies point of view. Manually carved pieces are never as identical as the CNC'd - at least what scroll decorations are concerned. The 'real' 3D shapes (like figureheads) are manifestly better with hand carving, the affordable CNC technology is just not there yet, although the gap is closing by the day.
János

Hi Daniel,
Difficult to say. I haven't built any of the Chinese kits but I saw a RC kit. The version I saw was the Pearwood one. The carvings are definitely better than any of the cast decorations which come with the European kits. But I did not REALLY like those carvings. The Boxwood ones have to be better because of the difference between the timbers, no question. But the Pearwood ones (and most likely the BW ones are carved using the same program) need some serious hand finishing. This should not be too difficult. The Pearwood carvings need more care because of the more pronounced grain, and because this is not as homogeneous a material as the Boxwood. I assume their material is not European Boxwood, which is the best material, but the American Boxwood (or Honduras BW or Costelo or Castelo - it is known on a number of names) and this is still much better than Pearwood. Pearwood is way softer.
The manually enhanced CNC timber carvings are nearly as good as the manually carved ones and even better from consistencies point of view. Manually carved pieces are never as identical as the CNC'd - at least what scroll decorations are concerned. The 'real' 3D shapes (like figureheads) are manifestly better with hand carving, the affordable CNC technology is just not there yet, although the gap is closing by the day.
János

Thank you Janos!!!! These are real good tips to know and to understand what are we buying or what we have to buy.

You are very well recognized for your carvings skill. There aren't too many modelers that can do what you do. And I agree 100% with you. A hand made carving will never ever compared with a CNC carving. But, fortunately, for modelers like myself, there exist the CNC technology. The technology allows us to use wood carvings of a very high level. An example, that you saw at this thread, was the CNC carved dolphins by Mike Shanks (boxwood). And all the carvings that came with the model (pear wood). Only in my dreams I can do carvings like those ones.

I have to be honest and say that the Pegasus pear wood carvings needed very few cleaning. Really just a little on the very detailed sections. They are really well done, to my level of satisfaction. I need to clarify that I do not see a carving in the same way you see it. What it could be a great carving for me, for you could be not so good. Ahhh.... I wish I could carve like you :)

Again THANK YOU VERY MUCH, for all those comments and for teaching me (and others) those details and differences.

Best !!!
Daniel

Also from my side -> CONGRATULATION - Very well done and beautiful finish
I am looking forward to see the next building log(s) turtle ship and Royal Caroline

Was Menschenhände

Hello Daniel,
Good work.
Was Menschenhände nicht alles können.!!!
Grüsse
Karl

Thank you Jeronimo !!!. I really appreciate your compliments.

I used your Pegasus as my main guide to build mine. I also used it as a quality target to improve my skills. Still your craftsmanship, precision and experience is at the highest level and is not easy to be near it.

After The Turtle, I will start the RC as you suggested. Again, I will use your build as the main guide to build my RC. My RC will be a POB model, nevertheless, I will follow your decks details and how you placed all the carved decorations. I ordered the same 1:50 scale carvings from ZHL Models.

All the best and have a nice day !!

Daniel

Stunning model, Daniel! Piece of art.

Hi Gennaro

Thank you !!! But I vet my name that "La Belle" will be something to keep as a top reference for future builds. It has higher standards that aren't easy to achieve and shows modelers what can be done.

Cheers and have a nice day !!!
Daniel

My dear Daniel. I do apologise for my silence lately, but that does not mean I did not follow your build. Now that she is complete, you can be very proud of what you have achieved. Sure the carvings look great, but to me, they do not personify this build. The many hours you spent building the cabins with their furniture, the spiral staircases and the carving of your own dolphins are the definitive things that I will take away from your Pegasus. During my many motivational sessions, I often explain that "success" is not hallmarked by being rich, famous or being in the Guinness Book of Records. Success is being able to do today what you could not do yesterday. This build has been a resounding success my friend!

My dear Daniel. I do apologise for my silence lately, but that does not mean I did not follow your build. Now that she is complete, you can be very proud of what you have achieved. Sure the carvings look great, but to me, they do not personify this build. The many hours you spent building the cabins with their furniture, the spiral staircases and the carving of your own dolphins are the definitive things that I will take away from your Pegasus. During my many motivational sessions, I often explain that "success" is not hallmarked by being rich, famous or being in the Guinness Book of Records. Success is being able to do today what you could not do yesterday. This build has been a resounding success my friend!

Hi Heinrich

Welcome back to the thread!!! Thank you soo much for such comments. What can I said. You let me speechless with such touching words.

Where have you been lately ?

Best !!
Daniel

Back