Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

A few months ago I did a circular staircase to practice. Here is the link to my posting on this thread:

Post in thread 'Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/statenjacht-pegasus-circa-1700.6196/post-138331

Now I did it in wood.

First glued the drawing to scrap pear wood from the frames. Cut them with the scroll saw and then sanded it using the circular sander and the spindle sander. Small finishing/sanding I did it by hand.

To test the stair I kept it in place with a little of tape. The column isn't the one to go. It is just a piece of wood to have an idea of the fitting.

Still needs work. Some adjustments when the time comes and I need to built the column.

Not to bad... what do you think?

Here you have the pictures in order.

20210113_085546.jpg20210113_153751.jpg20210113_155928.jpg20210113_160801.jpg20210113_160852.jpg20210113_161728.jpg20210113_162221.jpg

The last ones have the plan drawings for you all to get an idea of that section.

Cheers
Daniel

Very good Daniel! Eyes are afraid, but hands are doing! Thumbs-Up
Fantastic Daniel! You have outdone yourself!

Thank you guys!!! This gives me energy to move on.... :)

If you see the pictures in detail, you will realize that the upper first step is above the bean. That is because I have to built a second road of beans that will support the deck in that section.

All that section has a space between the roof of the stern below cabin and the deck floor of the upper deck cabin. That space goes the tiller that connects to the rudder. That isn't considered in the kit. I already tested the kit decorated doors of that upper stern deck cabin for fitness, like in the last picture of the Russian modeler Pegasus

See below pictures

5FFB31C6-E4D4-426C-8534-DC91B3CEC60D.png35C6B859-E903-4C29-96E2-8BEB6730E71C.jpegF62DF6E3-4AC9-454F-AEA0-6F2373C4CCD5.jpeg

From the Russian modeler

20201118_155858.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

A few months ago I did a circular staircase to practice. Here is the link to my posting on this thread:

Post in thread 'Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700' https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/threads/statenjacht-pegasus-circa-1700.6196/post-138331

Now I did it in wood.

First glued the drawing to scrap pear wood from the frames. Cut them with the scroll saw and then sanded it using the circular sander and the spindle sander. Small finishing/sanding I did it by hand.

To test the stair I kept it in place with a little of tape. The column isn't the one to go. It is just a piece of wood to have an idea of the fitting.

Still needs work. Some adjustments when the time comes and I need to built the column.

Not to bad... what do you think?

Here you have the pictures in order.

View attachment 205413View attachment 205414View attachment 205415View attachment 205416View attachment 205417View attachment 205418View attachment 205419

The last ones have the plan drawings for you all to get an idea of that section.

Cheers
Daniel
Much better than the foam version! I assume you will be sanding the forward edge to be a straight like the pictured plan. Then you can add the wall/railing. Just put the stairs on a belt or disc sander as assembled. Sand them together. ;)
In addition the edges against the beams can be matched as well. What I usually do is put the piece in place like what you have pictured, and trace the profile onto the piece you are going to cut to match. In this case you want to straighten or match the back face first, then put flush against the beam once matched and trace the right side profile and match that. And lastly put a straight face across all the stair edges that the half wall with railing will be against. Hope that makes sense. If you did the side first, then when you removed material from the back edge to match the beam, your stairs would move back thus creating a mismatch on the side.

Last edited:
Very nice work daniel.
As you added the lower stern cabin I would also add the ports in the lower transome so you can look into this cabin from the stern.
These provide air and light to this cabin.
UTRECHT+(7).JPG

Your new stairs look great.

Great work Daniel. Adding all those details must give you a great sense of satisfaction.

Very nice work daniel.
As you added the lower stern cabin I would also add the ports in the lower transome so you can look into this cabin from the stern.
These provide air and light to this cabin.
View attachment 207066

Your new stairs look great.

Thank you Maarten !!

You read my mind. Yesterday evening I was looking all what I have to build those ports. Your picture is great.

Based on your picture and the below picture of the book "Scratch building the Utrecht " I will need to modify the beds. They are too wide. Looks like my ports will be in the middle of the wood wall or over the beds.

20210120_062544.jpg
20210118_180127.jpg
Reducing the beds width will not be a problem at all. I can leave the bench with cushions as it is.

What I will do will be to mark their position at the back, measure distances and then located their position inside. Then, I will rebuilt the beds width.

Unfortunately I do not have pictures from other modelers of the lower stern cabin. They all covered the cabin with the roof (ship deck). I do not have a view of the interior. At least I can see how they did the stern ports.

@Jeronimo: if you have a picture of the stern cabin inside that shows the ports....Can you please post it here.

Below are the ports from one of Jerónimo's pictures.

Screenshot_20210120-062943_Gallery.jpg

From the Russian modeler
Screenshot_20210120-062712_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20210120-062817_Gallery.jpg

This modeler avoided the ports:

Screenshot_20210120-070228_Gallery.jpg

So here we are ...... All these was in my mind since I posted my pictures.

Thank you again Maarten for the picture !!!

Daniel

Great work Daniel. Adding all those details must give you a great sense of satisfaction.

Thank you Heinrich !!! Yes, it is a pleasure to built those details.... mainly when you do it more than once ..... Ha Ha ha.. :) because they never fit the first time :) Ja Ja Ja.

Cheers
Daniel

Back