Statenjacht PEGASUS circa 1700 [COMPLETED BUILD]

Well.... I tried to do a circular staircase template today. I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, nevertheless that i have still a LOT to do inside (mainly inside planking), before I ever try to do some furniture or the stair, I said to myself.....Daniel check if you can do it :)

I used foam. The idea was provided by the book "Scratch building the Utrecht ". It has nice pictures.

I found i had this foam around.... so I tried with it.

20201119_164144.jpg

Then I glued the stair steps template to a white foam and in another I built fake hull wall with the high and width as the plan drawings.

20201119_164239.jpg

First one..... have fun...a disaster.

20201119_155602.jpg

Doing it I realized how to glue the steps.

2nd attempt

20201119_162342.jpg

20201119_162355.jpg

Not so bad :)

Went to the Pegasus and placed the stair where it will go.

The bean at the right shows the place for the floor deck. The stair looks too high. But the deck beans goes there and at the end the deck floor will be higher than that bean.

Nevertheless, probably I will have to do it again, more than once, adjusting it to the deck altitude.

Once I achieve that, then I will paint it or, I will see how it ends if I glue veneer to it. I will check the veneer on my first scrap attempt. :) :)

For me is an amazing success that I was able to build that circular staircase.... HURRAY

20201119_163411.jpg

20201119_163452.jpg

Now I am more relax and can start the interior planking..... I hope I do not make mistakes there .... :) :)

Cheers
Daniel

Lots and lots of great progress. First, the pictures are beautiful - she is a beauty. Second, congrats on the staircase! Thumbsup

Well.... I tried to do a circular staircase template today. I couldn't stop thinking about it. So, nevertheless that i have still a LOT to do inside (mainly inside planking), before I ever try to do some furniture or the stair, I said to myself.....Daniel check if you can do it :)

I used foam. The idea was provided by the book "Scratch building the Utrecht ". It has nice pictures.

I found i had this foam around.... so I tried with it.

View attachment 193941

Then I glued the stair steps template to a white foam and in another I built fake hull wall with the high and width as the plan drawings.

View attachment 193942

First one..... have fun...a disaster.

View attachment 193943

Doing it I realized how to glue the steps.

2nd attempt

View attachment 193944

View attachment 193945

Not so bad :)

Went to the Pegasus and placed the stair where it will go.

The bean at the right shows the place for the floor deck. The stair looks too high. But the deck beans goes there and at the end the deck floor will be higher than that bean.

Nevertheless, probably I will have to do it again, more than once, adjusting it to the deck altitude.

Once I achieve that, then I will paint it or, I will see how it ends if I glue veneer to it. I will check the veneer on my first scrap attempt. :) :)

For me is an amazing success that I was able to build that circular staircase.... HURRAY

View attachment 193946

View attachment 193947

Now I am more relax and can start the interior planking..... I hope I do not make mistakes there .... :) :)

Cheers
Daniel
Clever idea Daniel and well executed!

I'm seriously contemplating Pegasus as my next build and the book would be great reference. Where did you buy the book? Who is the publisher? Thanks and looking forward to the update.

I'm seriously contemplating Pegasus as my next build and the book would be great reference. Where did you buy the book? Who is the publisher? Thanks and looking forward to the update.

SeawatchBooks.

16059094794761869933011450780884.jpg

Customer service was a little not good. Book wasn't arriving so I finally got another used from eBay.

Murphy's law: ....the day I started a CC claim for the book because have not arrived after a month....arrived :)

So I finished with 2 now. It's not expensive at all.

Cheers
Daniel

Well.... finally the so waited "Thanksgiving week" have arrived. "For the Foreign members", here in USA, for many of us, Thursday and Sometimes Fridays are non working day. In my case, with my type of job, that has been the case. So every year I also try to save vacation days for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So I get a full "OOO" (Out Of Office) week. We love to use a few letters intead of full words :)

I normally use this week to relax and to finish all the external jobs to have the house ready for the snow. Any moment, from this week on, the first storms will start.

Fortunately today the temperature was high enought that we had rain instead of snow. As I couldn't work outside.... it was time for the hobby :).

I am trying to see if I will be at the level of the near to come challenge of scratch building the Pegasus interior, based on the Utrecht plans.

Last week I tried the circular staircase. Went very well, based on my expertise level.

Today I tried one of the bedrooms. All the Pegasus build logs have different designs for the beds with exception that all are arched :)

Here goes mine.... you are authorized to have fun.

20201123_164844.jpg20201123_164255.jpg20201123_163553.jpg

The back

16061735563196540715275771305598.jpg

I hope it will fit. It was done from the 1:48 UTRECHT plans . But real life could be different. I have space at all the sides to adjust the fitting.

Most important is that I gave found the way on how to do it and decided on the design.

20201123_183049.jpg

Cheers
Daniel

Last edited:
Looks great, Dan! But the most important is the willingness to make your own parts from scratch. You just prove, that often time you need just a desire...however, a desire on its own will not gonna work, you have to get your hands dirty (at least). ;) Congrats, I am happy for you!

Well.... finally the so waited "Thanksgiving week" have arrived. "For the Foreign members", here in USA, for many of us, Thursday and Sometimes Fridays are non working day. In my case, with my type of job, that has been the case. So every year I also try to save vacation days for Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. So I get a full "OOO" (Out Of Office) week. We love to use a few letters intead of full words :)

I normally use this week to relax and to finish all the external jobs to have the house ready for the snow. Any moment, from this week on, the first storms will start.

Fortunately today the temperature was high enought that we had rain instead of snow. As I couldn't work outside.... it was time for the hobby :).

I am trying to see if I will be at the level of the near to come challenge of scratch building the Pegasus interior, based on the Utrecht plans.

Last week I tried the circular staircase. Went very well, based on my expertise level.

Today I tried one of the bedrooms. All the Pegasus build logs have different designs for the beds with exception that all are arched :)

Here goes mine.... you are authorized to have fun.

View attachment 194830View attachment 194831View attachment 194832

The back

View attachment 194833

I hope it will fit. It was done from the 1:48 UTRECHT plans . But real life could be different. I have space at all the sides to adjust the fitting.

Most important is that I gave found the way on how to do it and decided on the design.

View attachment 194834

Cheers
Daniel
Lovely work, Daniel. How did you make that half-round moulding?

Back